Author Topic: Is my 00 Antimo Caputo Pizzeria flour ok?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline capamando

Is my 00 Antimo Caputo Pizzeria flour ok?
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
Hello,

I had the good fortune to have found 00 Antimo Caputo Pizzeria flour at a GFS near me. I paid $33.49 for a 55lbs bag.  However, not being an expert on flour, I was a bit surprised to see that a label stuck to the bag shows 07/09/2010 ....not sure if that is when it arrived in the US but ..... that makes that flour at least nine months old...... is that typical of imported flour or should I expect a fresher batch of Caputo?

Thanks

Offline Matthew

Re: Is my 00 Antimo Caputo Pizzeria flour ok?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Hello,

I had the good fortune to have found 00 Antimo Caputo Pizzeria flour at a GFS near me. I paid $33.49 for a 55lbs bag.  However, not being an expert on flour, I was a bit surprised to see that a label stuck to the bag shows 07/09/2010 ....not sure if that is when it arrived in the US but ..... that makes that flour at least nine months old...... is that typical of imported flour or should I expect a fresher batch of Caputo?

Thanks

The only date that should be on the bag is a stamped expiration date.  If the sticker you're referring to is placed over the stamp, then there is a good chance that someone has falsified the date.  It DOES NOT come with this sticker from Antimo Caputo in Italy.  If you don't see the stamp that I'm referring to then return it.  I have seen it done many times.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
Any Idea on where I could find such a date on the small 1 kg red bag of Caputo 00. Or is it in italian? what should I look for?  I can by it (small red 1 kg bag) locally Amano actually sells it reasonable too.,by the bag but I think its been hanging around in the window for some time ?? I am sure  Fred uses the big bags and allways very fresh as he imports it direct from Caputo.
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline capamando

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Mathew,

Thanks for the info... the date is shown on the side of the bag...mine show 10/2011

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:30 AM »
Hi, I just received 8 1kg red bags today, the date is on the top fold in a little pink rectangle... The date is in European form   day, month,year. mine read 19/10/2011. Hope this helps     Ed

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:15:05 AM »
Mathew,

Thanks for the info... the date is shown on the side of the bag...mine show 10/2011

If it's stamped on you're fine.  I have seen some places in the past put their own stickers over the stamped expiration date.

Matt

Offline capamando

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »
Thanks guys!... lazy question... what size food safe container will a 55lb of flour fit in?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Thanks guys!... lazy question... what size food safe container will a 55lb of flour fit in?

The smallest one that I could find was a cambro 140lbs/21gal at Restaurant Depot. I forgot the exact price but it was around $140-$150. http://cool.cambro.com/Ingredient_Bins_Storage.ashx

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
The smallest one that I could find was a cambro 140lbs/21gal at Restaurant Depot. I forgot the exact price but it was around $140-$150. http://cool.cambro.com/Ingredient_Bins_Storage.ashx

That one won't keep bugs or moisture out, so maybe not so great if you don't go through the flour quickly.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
That one won't keep bugs or moisture out, so maybe not so great if you don't go through the flour quickly.

Thats a good point. You could always put the whole bag in there and toss a few bay leaves in the container. Thats what I was going to do.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I'd pick a container with a tight fitting lid even if the smaller size meant using more than one to store all 25kg. At least down here - the bugs laugh at the bay leaves.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline utahdave

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
For storage I use a food vault dog food container with a screw on lid. It is made of food grade plastic and holds a 55lb bag perfect.  I freeze my flour food three days prior to storing to lengthen shelf life.

pizzapan