Author Topic: Good Deal For Whole Milk Mozz?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Good Deal For Whole Milk Mozz?
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
I have tried several store/and popular name brands of whole milk mozz cheese during my pizza making quest.
It has been a bit expensive to say the least.

That said,I found a 6 lb loaf of whole milk mozz cheese from my GFS(Gordon's Food) market place store for what seems to be the best price I could find so far for the amount of cheese.

I have not made a pizza yet with it,but tasting a slice of it,it seems to be very well made.I ended up putting it into the freezer since I won't use it all up by the sell by date in Feb.

At $2.45 a lb,it came out to $14.75 for a 6 lbs loaf.Walmarts great value whole milk cheese is at around $3.25 a lb. and it has been my pick for a while.I think maybe I found something a bit better.I will not use part skim mozz cheese,I have tried every brand I could ever purchase and they just do not do the job nor make the pies I desire.

Anyone use GFS whole milk mozz cheese?If so,what is your opinion?I took a few pics to show what I am talking about.Click the link if you want to see.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32346322&l=54bd009310&id=1220593903
-Bill

Offline sparkyjt

Re: Good Deal For Whole Milk Mozz?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
Ive keep buying the little 8 ounce balls. And I agree its pricey. Where are you finding the 6 lb loaf? Is that the deli? I never thought to ask if they had whole milk.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
The GFS store,the cheese is where they keep the other cheeses and cold foods at,on the cold shelves next to the frozen food aisle,not a deli in the traditional sense.Did not have to ask for it,I was able to just pick it up off the shelf and put into the cart.
 :)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
I buy 5# loafs of Sorrento whole milk mozzarella at a restaurant supplier's cash and carry store (Ginsberg's on Rt 66 in Hudson, NY). It's market price so it fluctuates, the last time I bought it (about 2 weeks ago) it was $2.05 per pound. You don't need to have an account, they will sell to  the public. BTW, I hate to freeze cheese, it changes it's consistency. Just make a lot of pizzas and use it up while it's fresh.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »
Thanks DM,

I hate to freeze cheese too but so far I have done it a few times and not really had any serious trouble..I do notice the color changes when its frozen and I know it can sometimes cause problems thawing out and falling apart.I'm not making that many pies just yet,so I need to keep some of it frozen and not waste too much of it.If I have problems with this cheese after freezing, I will post it here.

The price you got for the Sorrentos is excellent.I can only get Sorrentos in one lb packages and they are almost 5 bucks at the only store that sells them in town.A 6 lbs loaf would be = to 30 bucks at that price.
A little rich for my blood for cheese.

-Bill

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
I have tried several store/and popular name brands of whole milk mozz cheese during my pizza making quest.
It has been a bit expensive to say the least.

That said,I found a 6 lb loaf of whole milk mozz cheese from my GFS(Gordon's Food) market place store for what seems to be the best price I could find so far for the amount of cheese.

I have not made a pizza yet with it,but tasting a slice of it,it seems to be very well made.I ended up putting it into the freezer since I won't use it all up by the sell by date in Feb.

At $2.45 a lb,it came out to $14.75 for a 6 lbs loaf.Walmarts great value whole milk cheese is at around $3.25 a lb. and it has been my pick for a while.I think maybe I found something a bit better.I will not use part skim mozz cheese,I have tried every brand I could ever purchase and they just do not do the job nor make the pies I desire.

Anyone use GFS whole milk mozz cheese?If so,what is your opinion?I took a few pics to show what I am talking about.Click the link if you want to see.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32346322&l=54bd009310&id=1220593903

That's what I generally buy, otherwise it's $5 + for a one pounder elsewhere. I stick with the whole milk mozzarella. Much richer.

Offline matermark

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
Thanks DM,

I hate to freeze cheese too but so far I have done it a few times and not really had any serious trouble..I do notice the color changes when its frozen and I know it can sometimes cause problems thawing out and falling apart.I'm not making that many pies just yet,so I need to keep some of it frozen and not waste too much of it.If I have problems with this cheese after freezing, I will post it here.

The price you got for the Sorrentos is excellent.I can only get Sorrentos in one lb packages and they are almost 5 bucks at the only store that sells them in town.A 6 lbs loaf would be = to 30 bucks at that price.
A little rich for my blood for cheese.

It's a little late now but I bought a few 1lb pkgs of Sorrento when Price-Rite had a special on it about a month ago for $1.69.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
It's a little late now but I bought a few 1lb pkgs of Sorrento when Price-Rite had a special on it about a month ago for $1.69.

Thats a great deal! Those prices are never gonna happen in my area.
-Bill

Offline matermark

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »
Thats a great deal! Those prices are never gonna happen in my area.

At first I picked up their house brand, then when I got to an island shaped cooler and saw the sign $1.69, I put it back and took I think 3 of the Sorrentos! Sorrento has a factory here in town and use their products often. The Sorrento brand was around $0.70-$0.80/lb less than the no-name so it was a no-brainer to me to buy more than one. I just wish I bought more than three! Both whole milk and part skim were on sale. Come Monday, not only was the sale sign gone, the cooler had McAddams 8oz cheese bars in it instead... for $1.29 I think. No mozzarella though.

Price-Rite is known for their large selection of fresh produce but every now & then they have huge discounts like this. They have only been in the Buffalo area for 1-2 years and this was their 3rd store here. When their 1st store opened, they had free range boneless ribeye roasts (similar to prime rib w/o bone) for $3.99/lb and skirt steaks or flank steaks for I think $2.99/lb to get people into the store!  I also use the Margherita brand sliced pepperoni in the pillow packs and they are $1.99 right now, the cheapest I've seen. They have  Cento 28oz D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes ($2.49) and another Cento 35oz "Product of Italy" peeled Italian tomatoes ($1.69.)

I've been buying their shredded mozzarella in 2lb bags & 5lb bags. The brand is Great Lakes cheese and it's around $9.99 for the 5lb. I think it's part skim.

Hope this helps!

Offline matermark

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Price-Rite had Biazzo whole milk in 16oz blocks for $1.99.

My local butcher had Empire whole milk 5lb loaves for $9.99.

ALDI had fresh mozz balls, 8oz, for $2.69. Don't remember if whole or part-skim, but they did NOT turn watery at 600F like other brands have.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
At a local Pathmark I bought a few packs of Maggio whole milk 1lb blocks and Polly-O whole milk 1lb blocks for $1.89 each (thats $1.89 lb) The expire date on them say JUN 2011 and a few say JUL 2011 so hopefully i can use up these 5lbs i still have left by then. :chef: