Author Topic: Your Ideal Pizza Size and Thickness?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Your Ideal Pizza Size and Thickness?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
PizzaEater101 here.  Have not posted in a long time but am curious about something.  What is the ideal thickness and pizza size for you?

I always wanted to make 14 inch minimum .10 thickness pizzas at home but 12 inch .10 come out the best for me.  It's the capability of my bbq grill that makes the 12 inch pizzas better than the 14 inch.  I'm okay with that, the 12 inch are good as long as they are thin.   I have though been experimenting with 8 inch pizzas that I believe are about .09 thickness factor and are in my opinion more to my liking.  I won't say they come out better than the 12 inch but the 8 inch pizzas for some reason I prefer, just to my liking.  I think I'm sticking to those for awhile with an occasional 12 inch pizza thrown into the mix.

What about you, your fave size pizza and thickness factor?

James

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Your Ideal Pizza Size and Thickness?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
the thicker the pizza the smaller the screen/pan, in my preference. 
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline new2dough

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
PizzaEater101 here.  Have not posted in a long time but am curious about something.  What is the ideal thickness and pizza size for you?

I always wanted to make 14 inch minimum .10 thickness pizzas at home but 12 inch .10 come out the best for me.  It's the capability of my bbq grill that makes the 12 inch pizzas better than the 14 inch.  I'm okay with that, the 12 inch are good as long as they are thin.   I have though been experimenting with 8 inch pizzas that I believe are about .09 thickness factor and are in my opinion more to my liking.  I won't say they come out better than the 12 inch but the 8 inch pizzas for some reason I prefer, just to my liking.  I think I'm sticking to those for awhile with an occasional 12 inch pizza thrown into the mix.

What about you, your fave size pizza and thickness factor?

James

For size I prefer 12.6" (thickness ~ 0.078").
It is the maximum size my oven and pizza serving plate can take by the way.
So it is pretty much the size I've gotten used to.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
James,
While I have never measured the exact thickness,I tend to like my pizzas very THIN....average NY style,or even NY style Sbarros thin is good,but sometimes I make a thinner pie at home if I can.It's hard though,because sometimes I might get holes in the dough if I'm not being careful and go way too thin by accident.If only I could toss a pie like the pros can...
 :-D

That said,when done right,they come out tasting great.I do not like the thicker slices as much...I like large thin slices I can fold over in half and eat,and all the flavor comes together.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
I prefer 16" which is the largest I can fit in either the kitchen oven or the WFO.  When I work the calculator backwards to get to my doughball size (300g), I get a thickness factor of around .075 at 70% plus hydration.

They are very thin, but crispy enough to fold with no droop.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
I make what I can with what I have....somewhere around 14" and 350g :)

pizzapan