Author Topic: Steel plate  (Read 44966 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Steel plate
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
Just to make sure, how thick is that pie ?

Offline Johnny Harley

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
Sorry I didn't measure. It had varying thickness to the centre.

Offline communist

« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Baked nine pies tonight.  Used steel plate with extra stones for thermal inertia  - a pizza gourmet stone under 1/2 inch steel, a fibrament stone, a couple of firebricks, and another thinner pizza gourmet stone.  First  three pies come out great, but then steel drops below 500 & things slow down .  A bit frustrating - I have to wait 10 minutes or more to get my heat up to 530.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:01:04 PM by communist »

Offline Chet

« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »
Hi Communist

If you are near the Walmart in Pittston, Classico crushed tomatoes are on sale $1 a can

Chet

Offline communist

« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
Thanks Chet.  I will get over there!  Mark

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »
New Adventures in Steel!  Have just ordered a laser cut sheet of 12mm grade 250 mild steel,  410 X 360mm with radiused corners, thats roughly 1/2" thk, 16" X 14". Multi-uses: It will fit in my kitchen oven for days I can't get outdoors to do WFO cooking and need a pizza fix, and it will fit on to my Weber Q200 grill as a grill plate.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:24:18 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline communist

« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Cheese topped with sauce. Steel at 530 for 4 1/2 minutes.  Party time!

Offline scott123

« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
That's a beauty, Mark. Is that a sauce on cheese/part cheddar boardwalk pie?

Offline communist

« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:57 PM »
Thanks Scott!  It's a sauce on whole milk sliced Grande Mozzarella with a healthy dusting of Pecorino Romano. I like tomato sauce on top.  The other five were cheese on top.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:35:42 PM by communist »

Offline scott123

« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
Romano, yes. I used to occasionally emulate a few places that didn't use Romano, but I've been slowly moving towards a stance that romano belongs on everything.  I think it needs to be a relatively low end romano, though. The top shelf stuff, if you use a lot of it, tends to take over. Not Kraft, but not the chunk from TJ's either.

How do the kids like your pies?

Edit: And what tomatoes are those?  I know sauce on top really makes the color pop, but that color is especially appealing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:17:59 PM by scott123 »

Offline communist

« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
The top shelf stuff, if you use a lot of it, tends to take over.

I agree Scott.  If I use too much, the pizza tastes too salty. I lower the salt in my sauce when I know I will be adding more Pecorino
Romano.  Are we experiencing salt creep in pizza?  Evelyn Slomon complained about this years ago. 

How do the kids like your pies?

The kids love the pies.  I let them help for the first couple of pies.  Quality suffers ( I cringe when I watch), but they enjoy it. 

Edit: And what tomatoes are those?  I know sauce on top really makes the color pop, but that color is especially appealing.
The tomatoes are 6 in 1. Run thru the oxo food mill - my daughter does not like chunks or skins.   Mark

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
Got my plate from a friend who had it laser cut.  Scrounge deal.  I owe, maybe more than I know.  :D  Mine is 1/4" cold rolled steel, 16' diameter.  My preference would have been 3/8", but beggars can't be choosers.

So, I ran a pie made from a modified DKM cracker crust recipe.

I used my oven to do the first trials with my steel plate.   Washed the mill oils off and put it in the oven at 500F.  About 15-20 minutes and it was up to temp using my IR thermometer.

I think it was from a thread titled "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza".  1 lb King Arthur Bread flour, 2/3 cup warm water, 1 tbsp. veg oil, 1 1/2 tsp ADY, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar. Mixed in the ADY and water then mixed in the rest and let rise 24 hrs.

My toppings were what I had around: jar pizza sauce, Mozzarella, fresh basil, pepperoni, prosciutto, capicolla, provolone, parmesan.   After I rolled it out, I docked it and pre-baked it at 500F 4 1/2 mins. 
(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0564_zpsaf6cdadd.jpg)

(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0566_zps036d38fb.jpg)

(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0567_zps61b6320c.jpg)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:19:03 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
Then I sauced it, and put the toppings on and put it back in for 6 mins

(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0568_zps04934e38.jpg)

(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0569_zps6b53b0b1.jpg)

As soon as it came out, I grated some parmesan on it.
(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0571_zps002ce750.jpg)

it got the bubbly pockets to some degree.
(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0573_zpsca4e263b.jpg)

I probably could have done another minute or two. 
(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/BBQ/DSC_0575_zps884c6ae9.jpg)

The steel plate is definitely and improvement on the stones.  I highly recommend it even though I've just done the one pie. 

Offline communist

« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
Nice pie BBQchuck! Mark

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
I must be the only one not sold on the steel plate! It reduced my cooking time on my standard NYish style pie by one minute, with the distinct possibility of burning the bottom and creating too much char for a NY pie. I'll be sticking with my trusty stone, I'm letting @dhorst borrow my steel to let her see if she gets more out of it then I did.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
I must be the only one not sold on the steel plate! It reduced my cooking time on my standard NYish style pie by one minute, with the distinct possibility of burning the bottom and creating too much char for a NY pie. I'll be sticking with my trusty stone, I'm letting @dhorst borrow my steel to let her see if she gets more out of it then I did.

Well, thanks for letting me borrow it.  I'll give it a whirl and play around with it.  Are you interested in meeting up at the WFO place in Saratoga, Thursday?
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »

I wasn't at first either for the same reasons, but I've been trying a new method that produces much better results. @ 550, the pizza is only on the steel for 2 minutes to take advantage of the explosive oven spring, and then on the top shelf (no stone) for a bit to get the browning. An interesting hybrid method which I think has produced some great pizza, but I've only done it twice so far.
Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
I wasn't at first either for the same reasons, but I've been trying a new method that produces much better results. @ 550, the pizza is only on the steel for 2 minutes to take advantage of the explosive oven spring, and then on the top shelf (no stone) for a bit to get the browning. An interesting hybrid method which I think has produced some great pizza, but I've only done it twice so far.

That's an interesting technique you've figured out JD, I never really thought of that, I cook my pizzas in the smaller of the two chambers of a dual oven and there is only one shelf in there, so your method isn't an option. I'd have to cook my pie in the bigger chamber to be able to do that, and that kinda defeats the purpose of why I bought this oven! :'(

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
DMC,
I agree, the steel plate isn't a panacia.  I noted that I had earlier success with cracker crust using a stone.  When I came back to pizza a couple years later, I used a different flour (KABF) thinking I was improving my ingredients, therefore my quality, and found that I couldn't acheive a great crunch I had earlier.  The steel helped that.  But changing flours could do it without the steel, as well.   I look at it as just another tool. 

Actually, for me, I'm possibly more accepting of the steel since I don't have established success to rely on.  But your point is well taken.  I think I may have to go down from 550F to balance upper baking with the crust doneness. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:57:10 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
Steel is so...2012.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.