Author Topic: Steel plate  (Read 53589 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Re: Steel plate
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
Steel is so...2012.

:-D  it's really 1018 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »
I have a wood burning grill that gets pretty hot with oak logs.  I am a newbie for making pizza.  I plan to see how high the temp gets on the grill with a heavy dome.  I bought this steel plate (http://bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel/) which sounded pretty good.  Has anyone had experience with it?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
I have not but I am going to make a cardboard template of my oven to order a custom size.  I spoke to them today to get a quote and a weight for my specs.  It should be around $110 and free shipping for orders over $50.  Looking forward to it!  Good luck  ;D

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »
I have not but I am going to make a cardboard template of my oven to order a custom size.  I spoke to them today to get a quote and a weight for my specs.  It should be around $110 and free shipping for orders over $50.

Mary Ann, is this the Baking Steel people?  Their 14 x 16 x .5 plate is $119.  The plate you're purchasing is going to be considerable larger (18ish x 20ish), with an an extra cut.  The extra cut should cost around $15 on it's own.

It'll be more than $110.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Have you used that borrowed steel plate yet, Scott?

Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
Scott,

The man I spoke with there yesterday told me that I should consider not getting the 1/2" because it would be over 50 pounds. I roughly measured the interior and came up with 14 1/2 x 23 1/2, but plan on cutting a cardboard template later today.  He suggested getting the 3/8" thick one.  I explained that I usually make no more than 4 pies in one night and he thought that would be sufficient.  Given those dimensions he said it would be $109.  I haven't finished reading all the way through this thread yet but hope to today.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
Mary Ann, the man you spoke with yesterday (most likely Andris) is steering you wrong. Between gouging people on price, misrepresenting steel's abilities in ads and scaring people away from properly sized plates, I've gone to great lengths to encourage people to obtain their plate from someone other than Stoughton. If you don't mind spending about three times the price for steel, though, Stoughton isn't horrible, but, please, don't take their advice on sizing.

Please tell me that your oven is deeper than 14 1/2 inches.  That would be soul crushing if you spent that much on an oven and only got a shelf that's 14.5" deep.  You said this was your oven, right?

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PODC302J.html

In the specs it talks about a usable Oven Interior Depth of 17 1/4". As I said earlier, I'm hoping that you have a little leeway and can squeeze in an 18" deep plate- or even a tiny bit deeper.

You also don't need 23" in the width.  If your oven is 23" wide, then you'll want to shoot for around 20" on the width. An 18" x 20" x 1/2" plate, cut in half (two 9" x 20" x 1/2" pieces), will give you two 25 lb. pieces.  Each will be manageable and the total weight will be no problem for your oven shelves. If you want to trim the weight a bit, there's nothing wrong with 18 x 19 (two 9 x 19 x 1/2 pieces).

Btw, make sure he doesn't round all the edges, as you'll want square edges where the plates meet.

scott123

« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
Have you used that borrowed steel plate yet, Scott?

Yes, my niece was going away to college and had yet to try my pizza, so I brought the plate down to my brother's house and baked on it.  No photos, but I was very pleased with the results.  As expected, it gave me a bit more conductivity than my regular soapstone hearth, which I needed at my brother's place because his oven runs a bit cool (525ish). Between the convection feature (my home oven lacks convection), the steel plate and a newly acquired wholesale cheese (calabro), it was my best pizza to date. I've also finally worked out the right sauce formula for the Sclafani tomatoes I've been using.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Scott,

Yes, it was Andris.  I never got around to templating the oven yesterday.  The problem with the depth is that there is a lip on the rack such that if I placed the steel plate on it, especially in two pieces, they would not be flush.  I guess I could see if the rack could be used on the reverse side so the pieces would sit flush on the rack.  Then I could order a deeper plate.  The other option is to order it wider and completely remove the rack and have the plates slide directly on the shelve slots.  But then the steel would be heavier.  I'm going to call my old client who deals with steel.  They're in Piscataway.  When I googled steel near this area, it seemed like the companies weren't exactly in the business of fabricating small pieces. I'm pretty sure my client dealt with hot rolled steel.  This is what you've suggested, right?

Here's a picture of the slots (I know, I need to run a major self-cleaning cycle  :-D). BTW, were you able to grab the Sclafanis at .99 cents?  I can't wait to try them on my NY pies on Friday.  Any suggestions on how to season them (if necessary)?

Thanks again,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »
Yes, my niece was going away to college and had yet to try my pizza, so I brought the plate down to my brother's house and baked on it.  No photos, but I was very pleased with the results.  As expected, it gave me a bit more conductivity than my regular soapstone hearth, which I needed at my brother's place because his oven runs a bit cool (525ish). Between the convection feature (my home oven lacks convection), the steel plate and a newly acquired wholesale cheese (calabro), it was my best pizza to date. I've also finally worked out the right sauce formula for the Sclafani tomatoes I've been using.

Glad to hear, what was your bake time at 525?

mbrulato: Scott is the reason I got 1/2" steel from my local supplier. It cost me $45 I think? I've been very happy with it, so take his advice seriously unless you have a bunch of money lying around you don't need. If so, I'll send you my custom steel plate for a steal :)
Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
JD,

LOL!  I trust Scott's advice that's why I am going to order from a local supplier vs. Stoughton.  After I template, the next thing I need to buy is an IR thermometer :)

Since he gives such good advice, I'm going to ask if I should try Lehmann's NY style recipe versus the one I've been using from Peter Reinhart's book, American Pie?  I have had good results with that but I've had tearing issues which I know what to do to prevent it next time.  I have only used KASL and plan on it since I have a few bags to get through before my big purchase.  Any advice on a brand (unbleached and non-bromated) that I should try?  I like HG flours for both my NY and Sicilian pies...

Thanks,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
JD,

Did you get yours in two pieces?

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »
JD,

Did you get yours in two pieces?

Mary Ann

Sure did! Can't imagine tossing a full plate into the oven without pulling at least one muscle.

Since he gives such good advice, I'm going to ask if I should try Lehmann's NY style recipe versus the one I've been using from Peter Reinhart's book, American Pie?

Not to speak for Scott, but he recently linked to his own NY recipe so why not give that a shot?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27232.msg275901.html#msg275901
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:13:08 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
This guy seems like a well designed and constructed steel for pizzas.  http://bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel/

I bought one and will try it out in my gas oven.  I am thinking of putting a stone on the rack above it just under the broiler to radiate heat downward.  What do you think of this idea?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
Sure did! Can't imagine tossing a full plate into the oven without pulling at least one muscle.

Not to speak for Scott, but he recently linked to his own NY recipe so why not give that a shot?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27232.msg275901.html#msg275901

LOL Josh!  I don't want to pull any muscles either.  This post came at the right time, I was just getting ready to make my dough for Friday.  Thanks a bunch!
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
This guy seems like a well designed and constructed steel for pizzas.  http://bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel/

I bought one and will try it out in my gas oven.  I am thinking of putting a stone on the rack above it just under the broiler to radiate heat downward.  What do you think of this idea?

Jinhua: Read the last page of this thread, there should be enough information on this one page to let you know the general consensus of baking steel.

Also, your broiler is a source of radiant heat, if you put a stone under it you'd just blocking a high radiant heat source with a lower one.
Josh

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
JD, I saw nothing specific about the baking steel product on the last page of this thread.  Did I miss it?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
JD, I saw nothing specific about the baking steel product on the last page of this thread.  Did I miss it?

There is nothing special about the Baking Steel. Anything you read about another piece of steel plate of the same thickness applies equally.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

Sorry Jinhua, I thought it was a little more cut and dry but I guess it wasn't. This is what I was alluding to (Stoughton = Baking Steel I believe):

Mary Ann, the man you spoke with yesterday (most likely Andris) is steering you wrong. Between gouging people on price, misrepresenting steel's abilities in ads and scaring people away from properly sized plates, I've gone to great lengths to encourage people to obtain their plate from someone other than Stoughton. If you don't mind spending about three times the price for steel, though, Stoughton isn't horrible, but, please, don't take their advice on sizing.

Also, you mentioned in a previous post that you want to use the baking steel in a wood burning grill. Steel is a poor choice for a grill because the steel will get much hotter than the air above, and your bottom will be done well before your top. Cooking pizza on a grill is a bit of a challenge, but can be done if you get the balance correct & use the right materials. I'm no grill expert though so I cannot recommend anything.

If you're stuck with the steel your best bet is to use it in a home oven @ 550* 4"-6" under a broiler. Depending on your thickness, your bake times will vary. Scott is probably your best resource for that information.
Josh

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
Thanks Josh and Craig.  I understand the issue of not using the steel on the grill as I originally thought.  But I do plan to use it in my oven and see how it performs before buying the Chadwick Oven.  I paid $79 for the Stoughton steel. which does not seem to be so much, considering the time and effort to chase around to find a source to cut a steel plate for me.   It is a beautifully finished product, and if it does what it is supposed to do, for me it is a good value.

As a marketing guy, I appreciate the excellent job they have done branding and promoting this product.  ;D