Author Topic: February 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Asian"  (Read 7976 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
February 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Asian"
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
Subject says it all.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: February 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Asian"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
 :-D Would it be a shame for me not to make a submission?  :-D 

We had a party a few weeks back and served some finger foods.  One of the items was Gino's pizza rolls.   ::)  I know....it was my wife's idea but they are pretty tasty.   Anywho, one of the guests asked me if they were eggrolls.   :o  :-D   

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:25:41 PM by Jackie Tran »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »
 So I was knocking around the internet and came across this recipe for a Korean pizza. Words fail me: http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/video/how-to-make-korean-pizza/
enjoy! :D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
So I was knocking around the internet and came across this recipe for a Korean pizza. Words fail me: http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/video/how-to-make-korean-pizza/
enjoy! :D

That's not right. The mayo goes on after you nuke it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
Number one: Cilantro pesto base with homemade green curry shrimp, green onion and baby corn on my thin and crispy crust. Next time, two bunches of cilantro.
Don

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
Shut the front door.  Two slices and a tall Sol, well dressed.  Nice pizza, Don. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
Number one: Cilantro pesto base with homemade green curry shrimp, green onion and baby corn on my thin and crispy crust. Next time, two bunches of cilantro.
Don

Don,

That is one tasty looking "Asian Pizza"!  :)  I really like your combinations.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
I came up with this one racking my brain for something to feed two friends of mine that are vegan.    Pizza without dairy or meat scared me, and I thought it would be really lame, but it turned out so good that everyone asks for it at parties (even meat eaters!).    Its also really easy to make because all the prep cooking is done in one pan.   If you don't have an asian market, all these ingredients can be found at Whole Foods.   

Thai Pizza:
Reduce coconut milk till thick (normal pizza sauce consistency) with a few fresh gangala lime leaves.   
For the last few minutes of reducing I drop fresh vegetables into the coconut milk.  Good choices are green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and red peppers, all cut in to very small pieces.   
Once veggies are softened I discard the gangala lime leaves and mix in a little green curry paste
Top the pizza with asian basil (very different flavor than italian, and amazing!)     

Do not substitute italian basil!     
asian sausage or any minced meat goes great on this pizza as well.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:39:53 PM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Scott R, that sounds really good.  I'll have to give that a shot sometime.  A little chicken or shrimp should round it out nicely. 

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
I came up with this one racking my brain for something to feed two friends of mine that are vegan.    Pizza without dairy or meat scared me, and I thought it would be really lame, but it turned out so good that everyone asks for it at parties (even meat eaters!).    Its also really easy to make because all the prep cooking is done in one pan.   If you don't have an asian market, all these ingredients can be found at Whole Foods.   

Thai Pizza:
Reduce coconut milk till thick (normal pizza sauce consistency) with a few fresh gangala lime leaves.   
For the last few minutes of reducing I drop fresh vegetables into the coconut milk.  Good choices are green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and red peppers, all cut in to very small pieces.   
Once veggies are softened I discard the gangala lime leaves and mix in a little green curry paste
Top the pizza with asian basil (very different flavor than italian, and amazing!)     

Do not substitute italian basil!     
asian sausage or any minced meat goes great on this pizza as well.   

I bet it is good. I make a Thai green curry ceviche about the same way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:28:16 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
#2/Korean pizza with homemade kimchi and pulled pork with my Korean style sauce, a sour hot sweet combination. The cheese mellows out the heat of the kimchi but I used no red pepper flakes upon eating, plenty of spicy heat. Garnished with black sesame seeds. I used seasame oil in the dough but really didn't taste it.
Don

Offline Smith1026

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
Making crab won tons is a pain so I tried turning it into a pizza. Cracker crust kinda reminds me of wonton wrappers when rolled out thin. Anyway, mixed up some crab wonton filling (cream cheese, ginger, garlic, canned crab, green onions). Parbaked the crust. Spread the filling/topping. Sprinkled some green onions to be garnishy. Plopped it back in the 475 oven for a bit. 

Flavor was lighter than anticipated as I put a sh**load of ginger in the mix. I think I should have added some soy and maybe some rooster sauce. Maybe next time.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
I love this monthly challenge. Awesome looking pies!

Someone want to try Korean BBQ Pork or Bahn Mi?

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
Hi Smith, Wish I could find crab meat in a can around here, but never have seen it. My other cooking passion is my wok and I never make a wok sauce without "rooster" in it. I don't know what I would do if the stores here stopped carrying it. I know what you mean about taste changes, the balance of flavors being off after baking. Sometimes the blend is just right, others times, needs work. Nice job.
Don

Making crab won tons is a pain so I tried turning it into a pizza. Cracker crust kinda reminds me of wonton wrappers when rolled out thin. Anyway, mixed up some crab wonton filling (cream cheese, ginger, garlic, canned crab, green onions). Parbaked the crust. Spread the filling/topping. Sprinkled some green onions to be garnishy. Plopped it back in the 475 oven for a bit. 

Flavor was lighter than anticipated as I put a sh**load of ginger in the mix. I think I should have added some soy and maybe some rooster sauce. Maybe next time.

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
#3 and I'm not done yet. Mu Shu pork and mushrooms with something I've never tried before but was outstanding, heart of palm. Try it on Oriental style pizzas, quite good. I use it quite a bit in my wok cooking and had a can on hand.  I cut my Hoisin sauce with some tomato puree to mellow it out somewhat, by itself I find it can overpower other flavors. I par-baked the thin skin in a pizza pan this time, interesting, I'll have to work with a pan more. Overall, very pleased.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 06:14:26 AM »
Don,

You Mu Shu pork and mushroom Asian pizza looks and sounds outstanding!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
My entry is a Peking Duck Pizza.

Sauce: hoisin, soy sauce , dark miso, sesame oil, brown sugar
Duck breast: skin removed, marinated in roast pork seasoning, cooked SV for a few hours at 130F to rare, sliced
Duck skin: cut into small pieces, fried until crisp
Duck fat from rendering skin: drizzled over pie. If you ask to ask why.....
Shredded green onions: scattered on pie after baking

buceriasdon

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
Hi Bill, Excellent looking pizza and photos. Well that's one I can cross off the list :-D Great job.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
Hi Bill, Excellent looking pizza and photos. Well that's one I can cross off the list :-D Great job.
Don

Thanks, Don. Maybe we should compare lists. I have a few more up my sleeve, time permitting.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Bill - Stunning pizza. Do you have a special appliance to do the sous vide?

John