Author Topic: Tucci's Pizza voted in top 10 in USA - !! VIDEO ALSO !!  (Read 2752 times)

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
Tucci's Pizza voted in top 10 in USA - !! VIDEO ALSO !!
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »
well, after seeing this video on Tucci's Coal Fired Pizza, i think my wife and i are going to have to stop by. i live about 40 minutes from here so hopefully it's worth at least the 40 minutes.

this guy http://www.worstpizza.com has a list of top 10 best pizzas in the USA for 2011. here's his list:
http://www.worstpizza.com/2010/12/worstpizza-com-releases-its-top-10-pizza-parlors-of-2010/

Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix, AZ
Johnny’s Pizza, Mount Vernon, NY
Sally’s Apizza, New Haven, CT
Tacconelli’s Pizza, Philadelphia, PA
Great Lake Pizza, Chicago, IL
Lucali’s Pizza, Brooklyn, NY
L&B Spumoni Gardens, Brooklyn, NY
Buddy’s Pizza, Detroit, MI
Frank Pepe’s Pizza, New Haven, CT
Tucci’s Pizza, Boca Raton, FL

and here's a link to his review and his video review: (drool worthy)

http://www.worstpizza.com/2011/01/the-french-fry-fairy-and-myself-attend-free-pizza-day-at-tuccis-pizza/#more-6174

what do you guys think of his list and this video?

also, here's a late entry - the guy says it probably would've made his top 10 as well. 
http://www.worstpizza.com/2011/01/pizzeria-oceano-lantana-fl-best-pizza-lantana/

might have to try it, but a little further drive for me. pizza looks incredible.

Online scott123

Re: Tucci's Pizza voted in top 10 in USA - !! VIDEO ALSO !!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
It's one of the few slices that you hold up, and it holds!

Talk out of his ass much?   ::) The pizza may 'hold up,' but his bs list doesn't.  Anyone can pick 9 of the most famous pizzerias in America and add their local favorite as the 10th.

PizzaSuperFreak, don't waste your time listening to this annoying shill. If you live in Florida, go to a real pizzeria- Peter Taylor's Wood Fired Pizza in Tampa.

foolishpoolish

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
There was an article  on "Slice" featuring the guy behind Worstpizza (Craig Agranoff) a while back: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/06/pizza-obsessives-craig-agranoff-aka-lapp-of-worst-pizza.html and also mentioned here: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/08/lapp-aka-pizzaexpert-aka-worst-pizza-appears-on-the-gary-vaynerchuk-show.html
For whatever it's worth, the reviews on that site (Worstpizza), while hardly "scientific", do seem to come from real experiences. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:49:35 AM by foolishpoolish »

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Many of the restaurants/pizza joints would ask me how they could generate more business. So I started Pizza Experts to help them with their viral marketing and social media campaigns. So far the places we work with have seen triple digit results from our campaigns. I am really happy and passionate with helping pizza owners think outside the pizza box!

Where do you go for pizza in your area?

I tend to frequent a pretty amazing place by Florida standards in Boca Raton called Tucci's Pizza.

There you have it.  He's a self professed 'viral marketer' who obviously has Tucci's as a client. This list is anything but unbiased.

And, FWIW, I'm questioning Agranoff's integrity, not Worstpizza's.  Worstpizza seems to have multiple contributors, some of which could be coming from a more knowledgeable and less financially driven mindset.  It's not uncommon for websites to have questionable management with honest contributors.

foolishpoolish

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
Re: Florida pizzerias: What did you think of the pizza at Peter Taylor's place, Scott?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:11:54 PM by foolishpoolish »

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
Re: Florida pizzerias: What did you think of the pizza at Peter Taylor's place, Scott?

I never been there, Toby, but I'm familiar enough with his work and his reviews to know that he puts out a great product. As I'm sure you're aware, he's a well known contributor to this forum (pftaylor) and a nationally recognized pizza obsessive.  His activity here pre-dates mine, so I can't say I know him all that well, but I tend to agree with most of his posts that I come across.  He's not a Bianco, but he's still a major player in the national scene.  The same kind of reasoning that would drive me to visit Varasano's on a trip to Atlanta would prompt me to visit Peter Taylor's when in Tampa- or, for that matter, to visit your pizzeria/bakery should you open one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:01:16 PM by scott123 »

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »

I've been there and in my opinion he's making an amazing product that he deeply cares about, every ingredient, every time and it shows!

I also found Peter to be very willing to talk and discuss pizza time allowing.

Mark

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
well, here's my report. if you wanna skip the bs, in short: meh.

we waited for 45 minutes which is a little excessive for this little area of boca. granted it was a friday night during primetime, but i watched 3 tables sit there, empty, but un-cleaned. i was about to just go sit down, but i was being civil.

i was very excited about this event. i had high hopes. maybe that made it hard to live up to. the server up sold me to their 'margarita' pizza which had fresh 'buffalo' mozz instead of their usual, and san marzano tomatoes, i believe. the pie went from around $18 to $25, so i see why he up sold me. i like to judge a pizza on 3 ingredients anyway: dough, cheese and sauce. so i figured what the hey.

i should've stuck with the regular pie. it didn't seem to make a difference from what i saw. the cheese was thin and quickly turned cold. the sauce was nothing to write home about.

the crust was light and airy, crispy, a bit thin. so, i was sorta happy about that. it took awhile for it to arrive. it seemed like they were working on cooking those suckers for a long time. that didn't make me happy as i know good pies are better at higher temps, typically.

my wife got some of those trendy 'oven baked' wings with the onions and the rosemary. they were ok. i had a domestic beer. the tab was over $45. i was surprised.

anyway, i could and do make better pies than this out of my home. and my oven is broken!

this place was 'cute', had a lot of business. had everything going for it. but i shan't be back. not worth the money.

I've never been to those other places, or really any of the supposed upper-echelon of pizza places in Brooklyn and new haven. but i sincerely hope they have something more to offer than this. I'll pay the price if it's worth it. but here, save your $$.

Online scott123

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
I've never been to those other places, or really any of the supposed upper-echelon of pizza places in Brooklyn and new haven. but i sincerely hope they have something more to offer than this. I'll pay the price if it's worth it. but here, save your $$.

Trust me, you won't walk out of Bianco's thinking you could make better pies at home.

Thanks for the report.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
Pizzasuperfreak, you think you make better pizza in your broken oven than Peter Taylor does in his restaurant?

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
hes talking about tuccis Paul.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
Thanks for telling me buddy.   ;D I thought for a second my eyes were playing tricks....

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »
yeah, paul, i'm sure i could NOT make a better pie than PFTaylor under any circumstnace. i've been around this forum for several years and PFTaylor knows his stuff. i would never be so arrogant to think that.

i would love to check out his restaurant too. one of these days i'll have to make the 5 hour trek over to Tampa.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
yeah, paul, i'm sure i could NOT make a better pie than PFTaylor under any circumstnace. i've been around this forum for several years and PFTaylor knows his stuff. i would never be so arrogant to think that.

i would love to check out his restaurant too. one of these days i'll have to make the 5 hour trek over to Tampa.

It was my fault, I misread your message   ::) sorry.
I'm sure it would be well worth the 5 hour drive though!  :)
Is there no good pizza places around where you live? The best pizza place near me is Dominos... (seriously)
Pizza sucks here!

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
not a problem at all paul.

yeah - we've got some decent places down here in south florida.

my favorite local joint is probably a place called 'Pizza Time' which is described as a Bronx-style pizza, whatever that is. they're transplants from NYC, so i gotta think it's pretty accurate. it's probably more of a 'street' slice than a high-end pizza. but it's heads and shoulders above most around here. and i've tried alot. actually, i take that back. they have these thick gourmet slices with crazy toppings like 'lobster bisque' and 'chicken shiitake' and 'veal marasala'. sounds gross, but is actually amazing. and they have a 'Grandma' slice which is sheet-pan pizza with a herb-crust, fresh mozz and chunky sauce. amazing stuff.

there's a couple places in south beach that are ok, believe it or not. one is a thin crust style called Spris on Lincoln, and one is a thick but airy crust place called Pizza Rustica. it's sheet pan pizza. interesting stuff.

here's some links about those places:
http://www.worstpizza.com/2009/06/spris-pizza-lincoln-road/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-time-coral-springs
http://www.pizza-rustica.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
The best pizza place near me is Dominos... (seriously)
Pizza sucks here!

Paul,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Pizza sucks here in Houston too.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan