Author Topic: Need help on making pizzas with alot of cheese & toppings  (Read 1041 times)

Offline bourbonblues

Need help on making pizzas with alot of cheese & toppings
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
Im sure some of you had this problem before.I like to load the cheese on & add alot of toppings.Problem is half the time,the top cooks,but won't fully cook.If I leave it in the oven any longer the whole top would probly burn.I sit the pizza 6-8in from the bottom in the oven.
12" thin-medium crusts.425-450* for 15-20mins.Just a have a normal oven.
I usualy add light sauce,a layer of 6-8 cheeses,enough pepperoni to make a full layer,poblano(1 large pepper) & a few serrano peppers(finger sz peppers),lots of pre cooked bacon(6-10 slices),lil bit of cooked chorizo,8 slices of capocollo,1/2 log fully cooked sausage(italian sometimes),very small can of mushrooms(fully drained),small amount of onion,& I last add a light,but full layer of cheese on top.
I make sure its all even.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:36:19 AM by bourbonblues »

scott123

Re: Need help on making pizzas with alot of cheese & toppings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
Bourbonblues, you're not really giving us enough details as to the quantities of everything you're putting on the pie. Whenever you're talking in topping quantities, it's best to weigh everything out and converse in ounces. It's also a good idea, if you're having topping baking issues to weigh your ingredients.

Even without weights, I'm getting the feeling that you're pushing the topping envelope here. I recommend one of two options:

1. Thin everything out.  Instead of one 12" thin-medium crust, make two 12" thin crust pies and split all the toppings between two pies rather than one.  You're still getting the same ratio of crust/toppings and all the same flavors in every bite, it's just that everything is a thinner layer, resulting in a more even bake.

2. Convert your recipe to Chicago Style.  Chicago Style lets you work within a casserole/pie scenario and allows you to go pretty crazy with the quantity of toppings.

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Need help on making pizzas with alot of cheese & toppings
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
I would suggest you par bake the crust for half the time, pull it out, then dress it and cook it the rest of the way.

Aside from topping thickness, I find that really extra sauce tends to insulate the top of the crust from cooking. Especially if the sauce has a high solids content.

If you do the par bake method, I would also recommend pre-cooking any raw meats. Remember the toppings will be exposed to heat for less time by doing it this way.

pizzapan