Author Topic: Tortillas  (Read 3671 times)

Offline buzz

Tortillas
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:44:06 AM »
Has anyone ever tried making thin crust pizza using a tortilla? It's just flour, water, and oil--no yeast, though.

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Tortillas
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »
THATS CALLED A QUESSADILLA  ;)

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:14:03 AM »
No--a quesadilla is a Mexican grilled cheese. I mean using a tortilla as a mini-pizza (the way Taco Bell, for example, uses them to make a Mexican pizza). It should crisp up pretty well, but I'm just wondering if the lack of yeast would make a significant difference.

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
BUZZ:
  Good Afternoon. About 7-8 months ago my culinary imagination thought of this idea as well. Sooo, I dug up a NO-YEAST recipe & made a thin crust pizza . I enjoyed it as a change. You can try it & see if it has any merit for yourself.  I encourage you to try it once.I have been meaning to try it once again. I think I will do so very soon. Good Luck in your pizza baking & have a nice day my friend.
  ~DINKS.

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »
I was thinking about using grocery-store tortillas--thery have oil in them, so they would probably bake up to a thin, crispy crust.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:52:02 PM »
Many a time.  My mom is hispanic.  I have made both "Mexican" versions and a couple cross overs.

I hate store bought tortillas so I could never recommend them.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:56:30 PM »
Well since I screwed up most the pictures last time and I haven't made pizza in weeks, I going to try my 4 deep dish in one weekend again.

Here is to Buzz who got me excited about making pizza again.

DKM

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 09:59:33 AM »
DKM--

Try making it by hand--it's more fun! Let me know how you make out!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »
DKM's mother was kind enough through DKM to share the recipe she uses.  After reading up on making Tortillias I quickly came to the conclusion that it is just as complex of a task as making pizza crust.  DKM is blessed with a Mother that can make them the way they should be made.   I hope someday to put the same effort into them as I have had into pizza and with DKM's help I hope to make at least a passable one.

Randy

Offline Tristan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 12:28:26 PM »
From what I've seen of Taco Bell's "Mexican Pizza", it's really just a bastardized tostada, not something you bake in an oven like a pizza.  You can buy ready-to-use tostadas if you live in a Mexican neighborhood, but they're easy enough to make at home.  Simply fry a wheat flour or masa tortilla in oil at around 375 degrees until it crisps and darkens slightly, and dry on paper towels.  It's then ready to top as wish, even with pizza toppings, if you like.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »
DKM's mother was kind enough through DKM to share the recipe she uses.  After reading up on making Tortillias I quickly came to the conclusion that it is just as complex of a task as making pizza crust.  DKM is blessed with a Mother that can make them the way they should be made.   I hope someday to put the same effort into them as I have had into pizza and with DKM's help I hope to make at least a passable one.

Randy

Just as complex and just as many thoughts and ideas.  But D@mn they are good! :)

Sometime this month I'm giving my neice (13) and sister-in-law (22) some pizza making lessons. So that could be fun  ^-^ :o 8)

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 03:02:26 PM »
All four of my neices can hardly operate a microwave and all are grown women.  One neice came to stay with us for the weekend.  After two days of us cooking at home for them her ten year old son remarked at the dinner table, " Do y'all really eat like this all the time or just on special occasions. "  It is now an annual event on July 4th weekend.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 03:06:04 PM »
My sister-in-law is already schedule to learn how to do other dishes (roasts, CFS, stews) if you hang with me, your going to learn how to cook.

DKM