Author Topic: Honey starter  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Honey starter
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
I had found this a while back and finally got it started today.  It is a honey starter from Mary Valeriano.  This is her youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/maryvaleri#p/u  The first video that pops up shows that she is quite well accomplished, and no stranger to pizza  napoletana or a wfo.

I used the general instructions here: http://www.youtube.com/user/maryvaleri#p/u/19/M1rMU7gQU18

This is her food blog with alot of recipes also:http://www.accademiadeltartufo.net/

I started two starters.  One as prescribed in the video, and another substituting 50% Cheerios for half the weight of flour.  Maybe the Cheerios will give the yeast a different flavor to much on and give a possibly better taste.  Time will tell.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Honey starter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
Gene, you've got honey, you've got cheerios.   All you're missing is the nuts.   :-D  Looking forward to hearing about your results. 

Chau

scott123

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:58 PM »
I'm interested in hearing about the results as well  :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:58:13 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
Gene, you've got honey, you've got cheerios.   All you're missing is the nuts.   :-D  Looking forward to hearing about your results. 

Chau

Did somebody say nuts ?

You are both lucky i didn't grab the rice crispies. :o  Have you any idea what that stuff is made of ?  Seriously the Cheerios seemed to have a healthy bill of whole ingredients.  The protein in the Cheerios/honey starter tonight is showing weakness as the gas can't form bubbles.  Maybe time for a Better for Bread feeding.....

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »
I want to share the condition of the two starters at hour 48.  Since I want a strong non wussy starter i starved both of them until last night.  I am trying to make sure they want to live instead of me feeding something that doesn't care if it lives or not.

The honey/ better 4 bread (b4b) starter smelled like a light alcohol but the majority of the smell was honey.

The honey/ cheerios/ b4b starter smelled a little heavier alcohol and oats.  It reminded me a of a heavy dark German beer.

The cheerios starter was quite a bit thinner than the b4b starter.  The b4b starter looked like a giant rubber band, trying to remove half of it from the jar.

These pictures are from the 48 hour mark, before feeding for the first time.

Oh, the b4b/honey starter already floats. ;D

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
A one week update on the honey starters.  They are both healthy according to my eye.  I feed them every two days.  The honey/b4b starter has a bit of hooch on top.  The honey/Cheerios starter is recovering from its last feeding.  We ran out of Cheerios,  and I replaced the feeding with Honey Nut Cheerios.

Both starters have a spectacular smell.  They are now banished to the garage. 

I can't wait to slip them into a dough.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
Looking good.  Thanks for keeping us posted.

Chau

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
I report that both the starters are dead.  My fault for not feeding them for a week and leaving them in the warm garage. :'(

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
Oh %$#! I was all smiles when I read about the honey nut cheerios in the mix and now I'm deflated!   

Next time take some of the starter and dry it out and pop it in the freezer.

I just dried some of mine today for sharing and in case I loose my starter in an accident.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »
OH SNAP!!  This sounded like an interesting experiment!