Author Topic: What Did I Do Wrong?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline RobDude

What Did I Do Wrong?
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
I tried making a thin-crust pizza I found on here....it wasn't bad; but it had something I don't know how to describe.

It was like a tiny layer of 'gooey' in the middle of the crust.  It was small, and my first thought was 'cook it longer'.  So I made a second one, and it was very well done/crispy (nearly burnt to be honest); but I still saw the same thing in the pizza.  I'll to get a picture if everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I'm hoping someone will say, 'Ohhh yeah!  You just need to XYZ'.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: What Did I Do Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
You have a "gum line".  Could be your sauce or other ingredients leeched into the dough. Or your dough may have been too cold or under proofed.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Hello RobDude, What would be helpful is for you to say what recipe you used and did you vary anything in the recipe. What was you hydration ratio of flour to water? Also required is how did you bake the pizza, for example, did you bake on a stone or a pan at 475F? Did you par-bake first then top or top and then bake? We like details.
Don

Offline RobDude

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
Hello RobDude, What would be helpful is for you to say what recipe you used and did you vary anything in the recipe. What was you hydration ratio of flour to water? Also required is how did you bake the pizza, for example, did you bake on a stone or a pan at 475F? Did you par-bake first then top or top and then bake? We like details.
Don

I tried making this pizza:  'Awesome thin crust!'  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5045.0

I used the percentages provided Pete-zza. 
I did a four rise and par-baked at 450 for 5 minutes the first attempt and 10 the second (the instructions say to do 10). 
I put sauce, cheese, pepperoni on each.
I didn't put anything between the sauce and crust (I've heard you can use oil to keep the crust from getting soggy) - but the crust immediately under the sauce was fine - that 'gum line' that I was talking about is lower in the crust - right in the middle of it.

Offline RobDude

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
You have a "gum line".  Could be your sauce or other ingredients leeched into the dough. Or your dough may have been too cold or under proofed.

Thank you for the post.  I'm going to try again, but increase the proof time.  Thank you.

pizzapan