Author Topic: percentages  (Read 755 times)

Offline franwake13

percentages
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »
question........ does anyone know a site that can teach me percentages in doughs? i read alot that some have like 12 percent protein in flower and 3 percent oil in the mix.... any help is greatly appreciated!
thanks alot!
-frank

buceriasdon

Re: percentages
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:54:23 AM »
Frank, There are a number of sites such as :  http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/03/22/bakers-percentage-1/
Don

question........ does anyone know a site that can teach me percentages in doughs? i read alot that some have like 12 percent protein in flower and 3 percent oil in the mix.... any help is greatly appreciated!
thanks alot!
-frank

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »
whatever the weight of your flour (disregard protein numbers for now), is what every other percentage (water sugar yeast salt etc) are based off of.  100g of water, 3% oil is 3g of oil.    protein content in flour is more about the type of crust/chew than anything else.  don't worry about the rain outside on the porch when your roof is leaking
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline sailor01

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
thanks alot!
-frank

Frank, Try a good professional baking book. One of my favorites is 'Bread Baking' by Jeffery Hammelman of King Arthur Flour. It's available from "The Bakers Catalog" (King Arthur Flour website).  It explains 'Bakers Percent' which is what your asking about and is just an easy way to represent a formula (recipe) so that it can be manipulated with minimal confusion.  Good Luck
-Alan

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »
franwake13,

You might check out the baker's percents links in Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9783.msg84894/topicseen.html#msg84894.

Peter

Offline zaminur143

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:59 AM »
I am also searching for this percentage. Glad to see here the right solution. Thanks Alan & Peter.