Author Topic: "The elusive yet perfect pie"...you can say that again!  (Read 3357 times)

Offline wucactus1

Re: "The elusive yet perfect pie"...you can say that again!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
The pizza tasted rather nice...The severally seconds under the broiler saved it, that and the expensive toppings used...But the texture wasnt as light or crisp as I have gotten in the past and think it comes down to oven temp as well...My oven at home, back in Louisville definitely gets hotter than the oven here, so I may try and borrow someones IR thermometer and employ the frozen towel trick to get a stone temp of 650-700(this possible?) and see what happens.
I originally figured this hydration level would be too much for KABF to handel, but after many people touting Reinharts recipe and its results I figured why not over hydrate the dough and see if the spring improves...well we all know what happened...As for the flour, once the AT is gone I will try Bouncer next...25lb bags at GFS, So I jut hope its good...Couldn't find the specs on it anywhere on their website, but a quick search on the forum yeilded moderate reviews, should I try the PG instead?
To Chau--When you find that perfect dough, dont forget to post it up here on the forum...for everyone to use! And dont give up, I havent been making pizza as long as you, but I almost like the process of baking more than actual eating and could do it everyday all day...but I understand, just try and stick with it, your an invaluable source here on the forums and would be missed

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
I think you will really like the bouncer.   I find it very similar to all trumps, some like it better, some don't.   Let us know what you think.     

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
Yeah...my order of AT and Ezzo should be in by the end of the week...My girlfriend is going out of town, so that means pizza making if I remain...and will try and get a bag of Bouncer, mix up somedough and test...should I try and go for a 12/15h rise as opposed to the 30/36...I have read some people like these same day doughs more...plus this way Im in control of exactly how much gluten in forming.  What do you guys think?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »

In question about the yeast...If do lower it lets say to .28/.35 what are you referring to as the window?  The amount of days that it could rest in the fridge before blowing out/the amount of time that I could actually use the dough within the given window and get good results(these sort of go hand in hand)

I feel like you sort of answered your own question here.    if you lower the yeast you will want to use the dough later (day 3 instead of day 2 for instance), but you will have a larger window of when its at its peak, so it might be great at days 3 and 4 rather than just on day 2.   Your home fridge is very different than a commercial walk in.    My home fridge fluctuates wildly in temperature depending on where in the fridge the dough is, and how many times per day the fridge is opened.  I often find that higher yeast recipes are further along in fermentation on day 2 than my previous batch with the same amount of yeast, and that can really screw things up when it comes to planning and consistency.   If I bring the yeast down and am more patient, not only does the pizza seem to be better (flavor and sometimes even texture), but it also gets more consistent from batch to batch.   My best fridge pies have been lower yeast and 5-7 days old.   

good luck wucactus

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
Scott r. what are your feeling about using a 12 hour poolish?  Does AT handle poolishes very well at all?  I have never used one, but would love to try only if It wouldnt impart on the amazing crust/crumb potential that AT can offer. I may do one ball with a poolish and another with IDY at .3 instead of .4 and see how the results fair...As with poolishes are these always baked the same day after the poolish is incorporated?

The shipment of my flour and pepperoni is scheduled to arrive today...I have never had anything arrive in one day through ground, very impressive on pennmac's part.

pizzapan