Author Topic: Uno's Sausage  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Levi

• Too Much Pizza is a Good Thing!
Uno's Sausage
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »
Had the opportunity to enjoy Uno's deep dish twice in the last 10 days.  Got to say that it is so much better than my attempts at home that it is almost disheartening.  That being said, my question is about their sausage.  It truly has a sweet taste and it has much more flavor than any I have tried from the grocery store.  What ingredient/s are normally responsible for giving sausage a sweet taste?  I would like to try adding a few things to the store bought sausage in a effort to get a bit closer to the Uno's flavor.  I have tried Johnsonville, Jimmy Dean and various store brands and they just aren't getting the job done for me.  I am not ready to make my own yet, just want to kick up the store brands a notch!

Thanks,

Offline Fingerstyle

Re: Uno's Sausage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »
Fennel seed - ground and added to your favorite sausage will give the classic Italian sweet flavor.

Vic
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline sonare

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:37:17 AM »
I know this is an ancient thread and there may be more recent info, but after after 30 years of trying (i lived in Chicago and left in 82) the closest thing to Anakini's (who used to supply Uno and Due) is Publix mild (removed from casings) Italian liberally sprinkled with Penzey's Italian sausage spices. Anything better that anyone has found?

Rich

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »
i found a local sausage for 1.85/lb that is blandly, yet fantastically seasoned with only sugar salt black pepper and fennell seed, it tastes to me VERY close to uno's.

also, uncle charley's (western PA area) makes a very spot-on sweet italian sausage
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline sonare

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »
Just happened to remember that when I lived in Chicago the sausage on Malnoti's was definitely spicier than Uno/Due. Now  Malnoti seems to be more like I recall Uno/Due-- IOW not as spicy as it used to be.

Rich