Author Topic: need help to get rid of tomato seeds  (Read 4596 times)

Offline msheetrit

need help to get rid of tomato seeds
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:52:23 AM »
i bought 6 kg of tomatoes and today they are just right to be cooked for pizza sauce. soft and red.
how can i get rid of the seeds? i dont want/need them in my sauce.
thank for all replys.
michael

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Malicon420

Re: need help to get rid of tomato seeds
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:05:34 PM »
I made my own sauce with canned whole tomatos once.  I put the whole tomatoes in a blender and blended till it was a sauce. Then I poured it though a 6" strainer with holes around a 1/16 of an inch or less. I had to push it through the screen a little with a plastic spoon, took  a few minutes for a 28 oz. can of tomatoes. Most or all of the seeds were left whole by the process and were left in the strainer, but 99.9 % of the red stuff went through. Not sure if this is because I have a weak blender or the setting I had it on, (the fact that seeds were not crushed) but you may want to experiment with a few tomatoes, a few blender settings and a couple different strainers if you have them.

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
Just last weekend I seeded a can of Cento's by slicing the tomatoes in half across the equator and just shaking them into the sink, but I lost a lot of the puree they were packed in that way too.  That'll take awhile with the quantity you've got...
However, in the new Cook's Illustrated they did a blind tasting and no one could detect the presence of seeds in the sauce.  In fact, they discovered the "gel" that surrounds the seeds actually has a lot of the tomato's flavor, so that nixes my "shake into the sink" method above.
I'm going back to my old ways and not worrying about the seeds anymore. 
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline matermark

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
T - O - M - A - T - O - E - S

+

Spremy

=

Seedless, skinless puree

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
I love the seeds...I must be unique.
 :)
-Bill

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
I love the seeds...I must be unique.
CP, you may well be, but my guess is that the vast majority of pizza lovers, as well as red sauce pasta lovers, dislike the seeds in their tomato sauce.  I can tolerate them but would prefer little to none.  The device shown above, tho, would seem to crush the tomatoes to mush and puree and would not be a satisfactory product for use with Chicago Style deep dish pizzas, tho, where one would want a more chunky sauce (without seeds).

Some members in some postings on other threads seem to have some nice techniques for taking most of the seeds out of whole or cut tomatoes.  That's proven to be a popular goal on this website among many.

--BTB

Offline matermark

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
There are manual crank versions similar to the Spremy that have interchangable screens like a Salsa screen if you want chunkier. I don't think the electric models have more than 1 or 2 screen types though. On the other hand, the Spremy has a meat grinder attachment available and sometimes both can be had for around $100 on ebay. The electric models have enough power to do the tomatoes raw; manual need parboiling or roasting first. The electric can do something like 180lbs/hr.

I let the stuff settle and save the heavy pulp and throw away much of the water (and some of the acidity.)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »
Nothing fancy here. When I open the can never tried fresh I pour the whole thing into an ample size bowl. Then 1 by one break them open, remove stem if needed, and dunk a piece/chunk into the liquid  until the seeded are clear and place  the clean part in the can. In the end you are left with all the clean tomatoes in your can  and the seeds and juice in the bowl. Dump that bowl  or (read forum options for juice) dump the can into the bowl and whala cleaned tomatoes. Crush em up
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
CP, you may well be, but my guess is that the vast majority of pizza lovers, as well as red sauce pasta lovers, dislike the seeds in their tomato sauce.  I can tolerate them but would prefer little to none.  The device shown above, tho, would seem to crush the tomatoes to mush and puree and would not be a satisfactory product for use with Chicago Style deep dish pizzas, tho, where one would want a more chunky sauce (without seeds).

Some members in some postings on other threads seem to have some nice techniques for taking most of the seeds out of whole or cut tomatoes.  That's proven to be a popular goal on this website among many.

--BTB

I understand that.I don't want my sauces full of seeds either.A little here and there doesn't bother me any though,I love to eat them and pick them out if theres a few in there.
 :)

-Bill

Offline pdog

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »
When I use canned tomatoes I do the following:

Dump full can of whole tomatoes into a strainer with a bowl below the strainer.  The "watery" portion of the puree will strain trough first. It is a 85% clear redish liquid.  I dump this out..... Its very acidic/bitter. (taste it once!)  The puree will be too thick to pour through a fine strainer via gravity alone and will remain in the strainer.  I then trim, and cut the tomatoes in half. I dip the tomatoes in the puree still within the strainer.  I continue this process until all of the seeds have been removed from the tomatoes.  I place the tomatoes into a separate bowl as they are de-seeded. I then force the puree through the strainer via gentle agitation with my hand.  At this point All of the seeds will be left in the strainer. 

I then re-strain the tomatoes, more redish liquid will strain from the tomatoes.  I then strain the puree again...... dump the redish liquid that strains from the puree after the second straining.  I do not force the puree through the strainer during this second straining.  Simple let gravity do the work this round.   

I then stick blend the tomatoes with the puree until I reach the consistency I like for tomatoes. 

I use this on my neo pie.  Let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours, and taste.  I think you will be surprised how sweet the tomatoes are after the tinny taste of the can dissipates after the 24 hr rest.  I then season with oregano, salt and garlic.  I have found that you have to let the sauce rest before seasoning.  I find I over season if I do not give the tomatoes time to naturally develop in flavor prior to adding spices to enhance the sauces flavor.

Offline pedwid

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
when i make sauce out o whole tomatoes i usually use around 6k of tomatoes as well. Im saying that so you see that the method im about to propose is not impossible :)

cut the tomatoes in town from the stem to the bottom once you have them all cut up grab them one half at a time with the outside laying in the palm of your hand and squeeze them lightly over a trash can and them with a whipping motion throw the seeds down into the trash can. Most if not all should come out. Seeds make the sauce bitter however, a few of them can be counterbalanced with a touch of sugar. This method ensures good thick sauce with great flavor and little to no seeds. Done correctly (takes time) you will loose minimal product.

good luck