Author Topic: Looking for a Great Scale, under $100 - Jennings?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Looking for a Great Scale, under $100 - Jennings?
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
Looking for a great scale under $100.  Chatted with a rep from Old Will Knot and she suggested the Jennings / JScale CJ-4000 Table Top Scale.

I don't see any mention of this brand on the Forum here.  I see it is intended primarily for Jewelry perhaps.  I like that it has an AC adapter and that the resolution is down to 0.02 ounces, which is good for me because I make only 14 inch pizzas.

I also like the 20 year warranty.  Anyone have any thoughts on this scale or the brand at least?

The OXO Food Scale from Williams-Sonoma (and elsewhere) has rave reviews and supposedly goes to 0.125 Ounces (would be sufficient I reckon).  That one seems a pretty attractive option as well- also because I can go to a brick and mortar store and buy it.

Any suggestions?  The KD-8000 (somewhat popular in the Forum) sounds like it could be tricky if trying to use the Baker's Percentage function. ....

Offline dms

Re: Looking for a Great Scale, under $100 - Jennings?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
Looking for a great scale under $100.  Chatted with a rep from Old Will Knot and she suggested the Jennings / JScale CJ-4000 Table Top Scale.

I don't see any mention of this brand on the Forum here.  I see it is intended primarily for Jewelry perhaps.  I like that it has an AC adapter and that the resolution is down to 0.02 ounces, which is good for me because I make only 14 inch pizzas.

I also like the 20 year warranty.  Anyone have any thoughts on this scale or the brand at least?

The OXO Food Scale from Williams-Sonoma (and elsewhere) has rave reviews and supposedly goes to 0.125 Ounces (would be sufficient I reckon).  That one seems a pretty attractive option as well- also because I can go to a brick and mortar store and buy it.

Any suggestions?  The KD-8000 (somewhat popular in the Forum) sounds like it could be tricky if trying to use the Baker's Percentage function. ....

0.5 gram resolution isn't a terribly useful feature, for most kitchen uses.  It's not enough smaller than 1 gram to be really distinct when measuring small quantities.  0.1 g is a lot nicer, and you're not going to find a 5kg by 0.1g scale for any reasonable amount of money. 

In a given range of capacity, digital scales are much of a muchness; there are a small number of load cells and analog to digital chips available.  Outside of the lab market, everyone uses functionally equivalent stuff.  (Which is why there are so many 5Kgx1g scales available: the electronics are dirt cheap.) Pick what you want based on features like a display that you can read with a bowl on it, using a sensible battery, buttons, price, and availability.  Or a counting feature, or it looks good.  Whatever.  It's very hard to buy a bad digital scale, as in one that's not accurate.  It's a lot easier to buy on that annoys you.  (I was at someone's house over the Christmas holidays, and used her scale.  It turned off if it wasn't used for 45 seconds.  If I'd owned it, I'd have smashed it with a hammer...) 

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »
Any specific recommendations for a relatively budget friendly 0.1g resolution scale?  I realize it might not be cheap, but what is out there as a good option?
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
Any specific recommendations for a relatively budget friendly 0.1g resolution scale?  I realize it might not be cheap, but what is out there as a good option?

I have this one. I think I paid about $35 for it. The only complaints I have are 1) it is kind of hard to read the display if you are standing straight over the top of it. It must have been designed with the expectation that the user would be sitting down. Take a step back, and it's fine. And 2) it shuts itself off if you don't use it for a couple minutes. Again not really a big deal, just a little annoying sometimes. Other than that, it is relativly fast, and appears to be accurate and repeatable.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AMW-2000-Digital-Jewelry/dp/B000OIRSSU/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
I found this one and it looks pretty good, however only 4 reviews so I'm a little skeptical.  Also while the sale price ($10.29) is pretty cheap, it's only $2.70 off the original.

Weighmax 500g X 0.1 Digital Gram Coin Pocket Mini Accurate Gold Scale
http://www.amazon.com/500g-Digital-Pocket-Mini-Scale/dp/B001R6B38O/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Currently $10.29 marked down from $12.99, but free shipping for combined orders >$25.00 and no tax to CA.

Main uses would be for yeast, salt, sugar & spices.  I'd use my normal (1.0g resolution) digital scale for flour, water, and other larger percentage ingredients.

Edit:
This one was looked ok as well and maybe a better deal.

American Weigh Black Blade Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012N1NAA/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Currently $10.35 marked down from $22.95.

Jon

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
I've eventually gone with a two scale set up - one is 3kg x 1g and the other is 200g x 0.01g.

Using two scales is a minor annoyance, but much cheaper than an all-in-one jobbie capable of weighing decent quantities of flour with a heavy bowl tared as well as accurately weighing out 0.3g of yeast.

The cheap cost of the 500g scale is realistic, since the capacity is small. The 200g scale I have was very cheap (about $15 USD) and so far seems to be doing the job required.