Author Topic: Using every trick in the book for an excellent laminated cracker  (Read 9704 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Using every trick in the book for an excellent laminated cracker
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
How thin were the layers before folding? Final thickness was about 1/4"?
Dan, I can get the dough sheet almost paper thin on the first press right out of the oven....this makes the process so easy.  I used one quarter inch silicon rings on the ends of my rolling pin to regulate the final laminated sheet.
John

Online invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
Got 3 of these in the fridge. What temp should I bake at on stone? 550? Thinking middle rack so the bottom doesn't go too fast. How soon should I pull from the fridge before bake? Also should I dock?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:06:58 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
Got 3 of these in the fridge. What temp should I bake at on stone? 550? Thinking middle rack so the bottom doesn't go too fast. How soon should I pull from the fridge before bake? Also should I dock?
Wow, you're an ambitious one! 
Rule #1.  Bake these skins cold, right out of the fridge with no warm up...you want all of the action to happen in the oven
Rule #2.  Try the first one at 550, try to get a feel for what the perfect temp will be for the next ones.  Have a screen handy if you've got one in case the bottom goes to fast.
Rule #3.  I've had great luck baking on the top rack.  I've got my rack covered in quarry tile, so the top part of the oven is kinda like an oven inside an oven, if that makes any sense.  Feel free to dock if you want to...I don't, but I'm always ready to poke bubbles if I need to.  Hope you have great results!!
John

Online invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Wow, you're an ambitious one! 
Rule #1.  Bake these skins cold, right out of the fridge with no warm up...you want all of the action to happen in the oven
Rule #2.  Try the first one at 550, try to get a feel for what the perfect temp will be for the next ones.  Have a screen handy if you've got one in case the bottom goes to fast.
Rule #3.  I've had great luck baking on the top rack.  I've got my rack covered in quarry tile, so the top part of the oven is kinda like an oven inside an oven, if that makes any sense.  Feel free to dock if you want to...I don't, but I'm always ready to poke bubbles if I need to.  Hope you have great results!!
John

John, I made these 2 days ago and just winged it, but they were a hit!

1. I let them sit for an hour at room temp while the oven warmed up. I just wasn't sure what to do with that one. Next time I will keep them in the fridge.
2. I baked them at around 475-500 on the middle rack. Wasn't sure if they would crisp up if I cooked them too fast, but now I know to try 550 next time.
3. Do you have the quarry tiles going across the whole rack to block off air, or is there still some side room?

I didn't dock or parbake and didn't have any bubbles to poke.
The crust had those mini pinholes as you describe and the pie was so crispy. Maybe more than any pie I've ever had. I left them in the fridge for 24 hours but am used to 3 day CF for other doughs. I will try that next time but this pizza was excellent.

My formula was

100% 500g water
 46% 230g water
  4% 20g oil
  2% 10g salt
  2%10g sugar
1/2t idy

I had a couple tiny spots in the skin when rolling that didn't hydrate. Next time I will do 48 or 50% hydration for ease of rolling and hydrating. I didn't really know how much pizza this was going to turn out so I kept rolling doughs until I ran out of round things to form them in. After the stretch and folds I cut it in half and folded them into quarters and sheeted again. It was slightly difficult to sheet but doable. Next time I will use hotter water and make sure the oven is a little hotter. That plus a slight hydration bump should be perfect.

Cheers!
Ryan

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #104 on: Yesterday at 06:54:45 PM »
John, I made these 2 days ago and just winged it, but they were a hit!

1. I let them sit for an hour at room temp while the oven warmed up. I just wasn't sure what to do with that one. Next time I will keep them in the fridge.
2. I baked them at around 475-500 on the middle rack. Wasn't sure if they would crisp up if I cooked them too fast, but now I know to try 550 next time.
3. Do you have the quarry tiles going across the whole rack to block off air, or is there still some side room?

I didn't dock or parbake and didn't have any bubbles to poke.
The crust had those mini pinholes as you describe and the pie was so crispy. Maybe more than any pie I've ever had. I left them in the fridge for 24 hours but am used to 3 day CF for other doughs. I will try that next time but this pizza was excellent.

My formula was

100% 500g water
 46% 230g water
  4% 20g oil
  2% 10g salt
  2%10g sugar
1/2t idy

I had a couple tiny spots in the skin when rolling that didn't hydrate. Next time I will do 48 or 50% hydration for ease of rolling and hydrating. I didn't really know how much pizza this was going to turn out so I kept rolling doughs until I ran out of round things to form them in. After the stretch and folds I cut it in half and folded them into quarters and sheeted again. It was slightly difficult to sheet but doable. Next time I will use hotter water and make sure the oven is a little hotter. That plus a slight hydration bump should be perfect.

Cheers!
Ryan
My tiles almost cover the rack and probably leave maybe one half to one inch gap on the sides.  They still do a great job of trapping heat on the very top of my oven.  If you ever decide to try these again, remember, you really don't have to cut circles, you can use the whole sheet cut up in rectangles, that way no waste.  Also, these skins will get old fast, so I wouldn't try going much longer than 3 days in the fridge.  Also, I hope you remembered that you could really take a lot of time when sheeting these out, letting the sheet rest really makes the sheeting much easier....the absolute best trick is to get the very first sheeting just as thin as possible, which is very easy since the dough is warm.  As far as baking temps go, I always try to get the bottom and top to be done at the same time....in general, it will be in the 530 to 580 degree range.
Thanks for trying these Ryan
John

Online invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 08:06:27 PM »
My tiles almost cover the rack and probably leave maybe one half to one inch gap on the sides.  They still do a great job of trapping heat on the very top of my oven.  If you ever decide to try these again, remember, you really don't have to cut circles, you can use the whole sheet cut up in rectangles, that way no waste.  Also, these skins will get old fast, so I wouldn't try going much longer than 3 days in the fridge.  Also, I hope you remembered that you could really take a lot of time when sheeting these out, letting the sheet rest really makes the sheeting much easier....the absolute best trick is to get the very first sheeting just as thin as possible, which is very easy since the dough is warm.  As far as baking temps go, I always try to get the bottom and top to be done at the same time....in general, it will be in the 530 to 580 degree range.
Thanks for trying these Ryan
John

John,
You're funny. "If you ever decide to try these again." The only deciding I'll be doing is deciding which day next week I'll be making these pizzas again.   ;D
I only did circles because I have a round stone and trying to get maximum surface area. That's why I asked how much clearance you had for your "oven within an oven." Would it be worth attempting this with foil to isolate the top? I didn't really know how many doughs I would get from my batch so I just resheeted the leftovers and got the two other skins.
I may pull the sugar and run the oven at full temp on the next one.

Ryan

pizzapan