Author Topic: Pizza Shoppe-style?  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Klankster

• Klanky.com
Re: Pizza Shoppe-style?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
OK, I took another shot at this last night, when a friend from KC, who is familiar with Pizza Shoppe, was visiting.  I did my mix in a food processor as before, but this time tried processing just the oil into the dry ingredients first, before adding the water/yeast mixture.

I made a 1-pound batch (1 pound flour) for two 12-inch pizzas.  24-hour countertop rest in a sealed container.  Split the dough into two pieces, then rolled each out, dusted with flour, folded in half, dusted with flour again, then folded that in half (to make 4 layers) then rolled that out to the final size, docked and put in the cutter pan and trimmed.  Parbaked the crust on a stone at 500F for 4 minutes, let cool on a rack, then topped and baked at 450F on the stone for about 7 minutes.

The result was pretty good.  Photos attached.  I had tried doing a 16-layer version the last couple of weeks but it took so much rolling out that the layers kind of welded themselves together and you really didn't get a lot of separate layers like I wanted.  As you can see in these pix, there are some nice separate layers.  My friend said she thought it was better than Pizza Shoppe, but I still think something is missing.

I am using a fabulous smoked pepperoni from our local meat market which is just jaw-droppingly delicious, along with a couple variants of their Italian sausage.  Dang, it's good.

I'll keep working on this -- it looks like we're going to KC sometime next month, at which point I'll definitely visit Pizza Shoppe to get a pizza and evaluate what they might be doing differently.
They call me MISTER Pizza-Boy!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
OK, I took another shot at this last night, when a friend from KC, who is familiar with Pizza Shoppe, was visiting.  I did my mix in a food processor as before, but this time tried processing just the oil into the dry ingredients first, before adding the water/yeast mixture.

I made a 1-pound batch (1 pound flour) for two 12-inch pizzas.  24-hour countertop rest in a sealed container.  Split the dough into two pieces, then rolled each out, dusted with flour, folded in half, dusted with flour again, then folded that in half (to make 4 layers) then rolled that out to the final size, docked and put in the cutter pan and trimmed.  Parbaked the crust on a stone at 500F for 4 minutes, let cool on a rack, then topped and baked at 450F on the stone for about 7 minutes.

The result was pretty good.  Photos attached.  I had tried doing a 16-layer version the last couple of weeks but it took so much rolling out that the layers kind of welded themselves together and you really didn't get a lot of separate layers like I wanted.  As you can see in these pix, there are some nice separate layers.  My friend said she thought it was better than Pizza Shoppe, but I still think something is missing.

I am using a fabulous smoked pepperoni from our local meat market which is just jaw-droppingly delicious, along with a couple variants of their Italian sausage.  Dang, it's good.

I'll keep working on this -- it looks like we're going to KC sometime next month, at which point I'll definitely visit Pizza Shoppe to get a pizza and evaluate what they might be doing differently.
dang klang....that looks real delicious. what oil percent you use on that one?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Klankster

• Klanky.com
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
dang klang....that looks real delicious. what oil percent you use on that one?
Not sure what percentage it would be -- for this batch I used:

1 pound bread flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 TBSP canola oil
3/4 Cup water
1.5 tsp ADY

That's a little more oil than I usually use, and I've been adding the baking powder for a while to see if it will improve it -- the jury's out on that one.  This rolled out a little nicer than when I use 1TB of oil, I was kind of shooting for a little more oil to put in with the flour first to coat the flour, then add the water to see if that would affect the outcome.

The main indicator I have that I'm not on the completely right track with this for a Pizza Shoppe clone is that the crust isn't really tender like PS's is -- it's a bit tougher/harder, if you know what I mean.  One thing I always liked about PS is that you can pick up a piece of their pizza by the edge crust and it doesn't flop -- its crust is structurally really strong (probably because of the laminated layers and all those interlocked blisters) -- but when you bite into it, it's crunchy AND TENDER, which was kind of amazing to me when I discovered them back in the 80s.  To me, this is the key element I'm missing.  This pizza I'm making is good, make no mistake about it, but it isn't that holy grail of Pizza Shoppe quality.

I use the trimmings from the cutter pan edge to make crackers to go along with the salad we usually make -- I salt the scraps a little, chop them up into bite-sized pieces and then bake them about 3 minutes on a side on a pizza pan at 500F on the stone.  They puff up well and come out pretty nice and crunchy -- but not tender-crunchy like PS; their outside is harder than it would be if made from PS crust.

Maybe the bread flour I'm using is too high in protein?

I feel I'm getting close on this -- I'd give about anything to be able to talk to someone who works at Pizza Shoppe or who used to work there, and knows what they use and do in their crust-making process.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
this may sound strange, but i would exchange that baking powder for powdered milk.
if that don`t do the trick then yes, try AP flour.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Klankster

• Klanky.com
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
this may sound strange, but i would exchange that baking powder for powdered milk.
if that don`t do the trick then yes, try AP flour.
Doesn't sound strange at all -- I use that in some of my bread machine bread recipes.  I'll try that this weekend.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
I made an attempt tonight. Too tired to write a full recap right now. Will do it soon. Here's a couple pics.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
I want to say right away that most of this pizza did not look like those two pics. I could tell the pizza was laminated, but most of it didn't have this kind of separation. In fact, I knew right after mixing the dough that this pizza probably wouldn't be what I was shooting for. First of all because the dough was much softer/wetter than I expected. I also mixed it wrong. I think I used too much yeast, as well.

Having said that, the pizza was very good, and I think I know some things I need to do to make it a lot more like the pizzas in the pics a couple pages back.

My formula for yesterday's pizza:

100% Superlative flour
53% Hot water
0.75% IDY
2% Salt
3% Veg oil
  • Mixed the dough with my flat beater attachment, just until it all came together, then put the dough in warm oven for about an hour.
  • After that hour or so, I divided the dough into three dough balls (or dough cubes).
  • Rolled each dough cube as thin as possible, using a heavy amount of bench flour.
  • Stacked the three square sheets of dough, then folded in half.
  • Folded in half the other way to end up with a square with 12 layers.
  • Rolled the dough until it was clearly bigger than 12". (I originally planned to make a 14" pizza but was too tired, so I went with 12".)
  • Placed the pan on my scale and tared the scale.
  • Placed dough over cutter pan.
  • Used a pastry roller to trim dough.
  • Weighed dough and pan, with scale still tared.
  • Dough weighed about 16.29 oz (462 g).
  • TF = 0.144 (I originally intended to do 0.120 or 0.130).
  • Docked the skin (a little more heavily than usual).
  • Put the skin in freezer for an hour or two.
  • Moved skin to fridge.
  • Baked after 5 or 7 hours, at about 450.
  • 12 minutes in pan, then another 4 or 5 minutes on stone.
What I'm pretty sure I did wrong.
  • Hydration was too high (but not as bad as you might think).
  • Too much yeast.
  • The pizza in the real pictures is probably not a same-day dough.
  • Should have added oil to water or dough; not to flour.
  • Should have mixed longer, with dough hook instead of flat beater.
  • Too thick.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:59:56 AM by Aimless Ryan »

pizzapan