Author Topic: what's the deal with wood fired ovens??  (Read 2812 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
what's the deal with wood fired ovens??
« on: May 03, 2005, 04:16:19 AM »
Okay,
ive only had pizza from about 3 or 4 joints that use wood ovens, but so far from what ive experienced i dont see whats so great. Coal ovens get that great charring and i would think wood fired would be 2nd best since they can burn hot too, but the few places ive eaten at with wood ovens dont have any extra charring compared to most gas oven places.

2 of the most noticeable joints being:
http://www.cpk.com
http://www.sammyspizza.com/minisite.html

also a couple more that are local but arent well known (same thing).. .no char, no distinctive flavor.

neither of these places have any "char" on the crust or any different flavor that is noticeable compared to gas ovens. Is it just because they dont have their ovens as high as they could??

so far ive never seen results from wood ovens that lead me to believe they are any different from a standard high quality gas oven.

what is all the hype about?

Offline Settebello

• Settebello
Re: what's the deal with wood fired ovens??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »
Most CPKs use gas ovens (although they look like wood ovens), some have combos but I think almost all of them use gas.  Gas will not even come close to giving you the same results as a wood fired pizza.  While Sammy's uses wood, it does not cook at nearly the temp. needed to give you a great pizza.
Only wood ovens that cook at extremly high temps give you the result that you are looking for.  This brings up a problem for most pizzerias that it is very hard to cook pizzas in an oven that is 875-1000 degrees.  You have to have a fast, talented and well trained person turning the pizzas or they will burn.  You also go through a lot of wood and need someone experienced enough to keep the oven at that temp.  Because of this most people do what CPK does, switch to low temp gas, or what Sammy's does, cook at low temp.
Since you mentioned CPK and Sammys I figure you are probably in California.  If you are in Southern California I would go to Antica Pizzeria in Marina Del Rey to see what wood fired pizza is all about.  I know he cooks at a minimum of 850 degrees, uses great Italian flour and tomatoes and makes his own fresh mozzerella.
I promise you will see what all the fuss of wood fired ovens is if you try a pizza there.

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 04:07:44 AM »
Settebello,
thanks for the info :)

i am going to hit up that place you recommend for sure!!

i dont get cpk and sammy's, they must just use wood oven's for the marketing ploy.. if they arent going to cook them to use the advantages it seems like a waste. Both places turn out pizzas that mine as well be in a normal standard gas pizza oven.

also after seeing this post i feel like eating my words:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1301.0.html

Offline Settebello

• Settebello
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »
I have to admit once in a while I like a CPK pizza, but you will see the difference when you go to Antica.  I also heard from the owner of Antica that there is another Napoli style pizzeria with wood burning oven going in Santa Barbara but I don't think it's open yet.  Hopefully the next time you drive out to Vegas I will have my pizzeria going and you can tell me if you think I my pizza is coming close to Antica.

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 03:45:48 AM »
sounds good dude :)

keep me posted!! i head out to vegas at least once a year.

pizzapan