Author Topic: Foolish Poolish  (Read 880 times)

Offline Davidt321

Foolish Poolish
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I am new here and I have a question sort of.I started a poolish and have had it at room temp for about 5 hours.Unfortunantly the recipe I was using is missing pages on how to use it.I was thinking of taking some flour and adding enough of the poolish to form a nice dough,do some kneeding and let it rest before shapping.That is all there is right?
My thanks in advance.

buceriasdon

Re: Foolish Poolish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »
First we need to know what you have or have not added, just flour and water? Also how much of what? Have you put yeast in yet as most pre-ferments use yeast. Have you weighed anything or did you use volume mesurements?

Hi everyone,
 I am new here and I have a question sort of.I started a poolish and have had it at room temp for about 5 hours.Unfortunantly the recipe I was using is missing pages on how to use it.I was thinking of taking some flour and adding enough of the poolish to form a nice dough,do some kneeding and let it rest before shapping.That is all there is right?
My thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:15:44 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Davidt321

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Right,
I had two parts tap water to less than 1 part flour and a quarter teaspoon of ady.I just now mixed it with some flour and am letting it rest a few minutes..oh yes and a little sea salt with the flour.Sorry but no measurements but roughly 1.5 cups flour mixed in to some not all of the poolish and I am getting ready to kneed.Seat of the pants kinda deal.
 I hope this helps with the little info I provided and thanks.

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
David, Buy a digital scale. I haven't a clue where this recipe came from but your water to flour ratio for your pre-ferment is way high. For example, 1cup flour to 1/2cup water is close to 100% hydration, normal for a pre-ferment. The problem is I have no idea how much flour or water you used. One part of what? A cup, a pound ? I hope others can help. Check out some threads on creating pre-ferments, please. Here is just one. like:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7327.0.html
Don

Right,
I had two parts tap water to less than 1 part flour and a quarter teaspoon of ady.I just now mixed it with some flour and am letting it rest a few minutes..oh yes and a little sea salt with the flour.Sorry but no measurements but roughly 1.5 cups flour mixed in to some not all of the poolish and I am getting ready to kneed.Seat of the pants kinda deal.
 I hope this helps with the little info I provided and thanks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:06:13 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Davidt321

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:13 PM »
Love ya pizza brother..
 A little history about and around .I happened across a great pizza maker from Sicily about twenty years ago.At the time I was more concerned about playing golf and hanging with my younger brother..whom introduced me to this guy..who made dough depending on the humidity on that day in the area of Houston.This guy was magical Never used a scale or measuring cup.On my level I certainly could accept the use of a digital scale to measure but then again .....the pizza turned out great and thank you for your input.I think mostly it is just feel.On the other side of the coin measurments are vital,standard ,stiff and have a place as well.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
David,The problem with "feel" is it does not communicate well thru the written word. That's why baker's percentage is a good language to learn for forums such as this one, a common language by which the exchange of information can flow with accuracy. I seasonally make small adjustments, but it's quite easy to do as I have a map, a baker's percentage recipe that enables me to obtain consitant results from my dough and I am able to communicate the results to others through the use of weight measurements and ratios. I'm happy you pizza turned out well. :D
Don

A little history about and around .I happened across a great pizza maker from Sicily about twenty years ago.At the time I was more concerned about playing golf and hanging with my younger brother..whom introduced me to this guy..who made dough depending on the humidity on that day in the area of Houston.This guy was magical Never used a scale or measuring cup.On my level I certainly could accept the use of a digital scale to measure but then again .....the pizza turned out great and thank you for your input.I think mostly it is just feel.On the other side of the coin measurements are vital,standard ,stiff and have a place as well.

Offline Davidt321

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Thanks Don,
 You're right,I just am in the technical field at work where precise measurements are vital.Just looking at pizza dough for an escape and relaxation.I will purchase a scale.This site is great and thanks again.

pizzapan