Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 680 times)

Offline forzaroma

Yeast
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
Was just wondering how long instant yeast can last in the fridge? I made some pies yesterday and they were good just a bit chewy can this be a reason?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
My idy is a year old, stored in the fridge, and still performing just like it did a year ago.   

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Ok can too much flour be a reason for chewy dough? Like I said taste was great just felt it to be a litlle chewy not noticeable to many but to me i want perfection lol.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
there are so many things it could be that it would be impossible to address it all in a post.  Usually its how you handle the dough, or under or over proofing, mixing too long..... but there are many other things that can contribute to a tough crust.    Just wondering, I noticed this was posted in the neapolitan thread.   Is it possible you were using caputo flour?   If so that flour produces a chewy product unless your bake time is under 2 minutes. A bake that fast is hard to do, even in many wood burning ovens.  The ovens in naples using caputo and other 00 flours are often clocked baking the pizzas in under a minute. 

If you give us a post with lots of details we could help.   

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »
Sure ill give u the total rundown. I was trying out peter REINHARTS recipe for neo Neapolitan dough thats why I put it in here. I used Bread flour and this is the breakdown:

5 cups of bread flour
1T sugar
2 tsp salt
1tsp instant yeast
2T olive oil
1 3/4 cup of water 70degrees

I combined everything and mixed with a dough hook using kitchen aid on lowest setting for 4 minutes,
Until it comes to a coarse ball, Let rest for 2 minutes then mix another 2 minutes.
Divide into 4 pieces and and round each piece into dough balls. I made mine 8 ounces each and put in a dough tray and patted oil on each ball. Kept in fridge overnight.

Now here's where I possibly over proofed. Recipe says take out 2 hours before planning on using them which I did . but then I found out my copany wasnt coming till later and I left out for an extra hour then i put back in fridge then took out again for 90 minutes, so possible over proof?

Like I said taste was great and texture good just a tad chewy.

pizzapan