Author Topic: Using leftover dough in next batch  (Read 1022 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Using leftover dough in next batch
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
I see any number of recipes with yeast, sourdough starters, preferments, poolish, biga, etc., and of course they all say how much of such ingredients to use in a recipe.  However, there are some recipes - most famously, Una Pizza Napoletana - where they use none of the foregoing, but simply mix in a quantity of the preceding day's dough.  My question is, how much should I put in?  If I have a recipe based on, say, 1,000 g of flour, what is the baker's percentage of preceding day's dough that I should use?  Also, is there some kind of "substitution factor" that I could use to replace IDY in the recipes on this site, such as, "for each 1/4 tsp (or gram equivalent) of IDY, use X amount, in grams, of the preceding day's dough?

Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using leftover dough in next batch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
Gene,

Using old dough is not normally considered a Neapolitan style, even if that is what Anthony Mangieri was/is doing. But if you want to learn more about the old dough method, my "bible" for prefermented doughs is the set of articles by Didier Rosada at at http://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm and at http://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm. Also, if you do an Advanced forum search (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced) using my user name and the expression "old dough", in quotes, and then scan the hits for that expression in yellow, you can read what I have written on the subject.

Peter

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:07 PM »
Pete,

I could not get the first two links to work and the third took me to a search form.  Have you checked them lately?

Gene
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:10:49 PM by gschwim »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »
i find this a common issue with his links.   i assume they are from bookmark, and he doesn't check them often?  ???
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Pete,

I could not get the first two links to work and the third took me to a search form.  Have you checked them lately?

Gene

Gene - The first two links work for me. They are a web archive, so they take a few seconds to load. The third link, as Peter clearly points out in his post, is supposed to take you to the forum search form.

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:15 AM »
i find this a common issue with his links.   i assume they are from bookmark, and he doesn't check them often?  ???

c0mpl3x,

I'm sorry I missed your post. I don't use bookmarks but I have a pretty good memory of where things are. But for the most part I use the forum's Advanced search feature to find links I want to use. I then preview my posts and click on all the links to be sure they work before I post. Then, after using the spellcheck feature, I hit the Post button. I rarely make mistakes with links in my posts. Sometimes they go blank or dead but that is because the website did it, as happened a lot with the old PMQ Think Tank posts before they went to a new system. But, even then, I try to find replacement links if they exist. That is how I found the links to the two Rosada articles, through the help of another member who put me onto the Wayback archive search feature.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:47:36 AM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan