Author Topic: Primo Gusto High-Gluten Flour  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Primo Gusto High-Gluten Flour
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:48:43 PM »
Anyone have experience with this flour?  How does it compare to King Arthur High-Gluten ?

Regards,

Crusty

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Primo Gusto High-Gluten Flour
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 03:16:17 PM »
I have tried the mozzarella, and I would not recommend it.

Offline bigriver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »
I would highly recomend it!  I use Bay State Bouncer that I buy from GFS and have used the Gordons Primo Gusto brand as well.  They are prety much the same flour from what the manager had told me.  Again King Authur, as I understand it is just a name.  A bag filled by one of the large flour mills...be it General Mills or Baystate.  I think you end up paying twice as much to get King Authur to help KA pay for all the marketing expenses.  The main difference is the lack of Bleach and Bromate.  All I would suggest to you is to try Primo Gusto.  It may work for the crust that you are trying to make.  Besides it's not that expensive and a 25lb bag isn't much flour.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
I must be acting more confident these days... I walked into a different GFS this morning and asked the assistant manager for the "sell sheet" for GFS Primo Gusto High Gluten Flour, and that I was particularly interested in the protein level.  We chatted about what I was baking and such as he called it up.

Low and behold the GFS Primo Gusto High Gluten Flour is listed as a 14% Protein Flour!  The sheet went on to identify similar competitive items as: Kryol, Balancer, and All Trumps among others.

I have been using Bouncer at 13.8% +-0.3% and didn't want a 50# bag of All Trumps right now after getting a 50# bag of GM Full Strength at 12.6% yesterday.  25# of Primo Gusto was selling for $9.99 at GFS Marketplace.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
The Primo gusto flour is nothing special IMO.  I would go with the full strenght or all trumps.   They produce a much better crust.   I know GFS sells all trumps but not full strenght, at least here in central OH.  Walter

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Thanks Walter.  Trying to figure what we can get where... At our northern Ohio Restaurant Depot they had GM Full Strength and All Trumps and a few others and Poly-O Cheese and Supremo Italiano Cheese.  No Grande cheese at RD. 

GFS Marketplace had no Grande on the shelf, but would order case lots.  GFS had Bouncer and Primo Gusto for high gluten flour for folks info.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:14:51 PM by bigMoose »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
When I bought a case of shredded Grande mozzarella over the summer, it was cheaper at GFS than at RDP (where I ended up buying it, just because it was more convenient for me at the moment). I paid $110.29 at RDP. It was something like $99.99 at GFS a day or two earlier. (Of course, I would have had to wait a few days if I'd bought it from GFS.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:20:26 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
Thanks Walter.  Trying to figure what we can get where... At our northern Ohio Restaurant Depot they had GM Full Strength and All Trumps and a few others and Poly-O Cheese and Supremo Italiano Cheese.  No Grande cheese at RD. 

GFS Marketplace had no Grande on the shelf, but would order case lots.  GFS had Bouncer and Primo Gusto for high gluten flour for folks info.

I have not tried the supremo italiano cheese line.  I am not going to either.  Driving 45 miles to RD is not for me and I don't have enough fridge space to buy 20 cases at a time.   GFS is the same here with buying grande by the case.  If you ever want some and are in the area let me know.  I can sell you some at cost.  Same with if you want smaller than 50lbs of FS and or AT. Walter

as of today grande whole milk mozz is $170.80/case delivered and the provolone is $93.80 delivered.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:51:57 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »
as of today grande whole milk mozz is $170.80/case delivered and the provolone is $93.80 delivered.

And to be clear, that $170 price tag is for 8 loaves of about 7 lbs apiece, while the prices I mentioned are for 6 5-pound bags. (That is, 56 lbs vs. 30 lbs.)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
And to be clear, that $170 price tag is for 8 loaves of about 7 lbs apiece, while the prices I mentioned are for 6 5-pound bags. (That is, 56 lbs vs. 30 lbs.)

Dang that is a lot of cheese.  Ryan how much do you use per month?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
Walter you are the best advocate and mentor for great pizza in Ohio!  :chef:  Know that we all appreciate it.

I have two skins fermenting with GM Full Strength and a loaf of Newark's Special Sourdough in the fridge.  Can't wait for them to be ready to bake tomorrow!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
Walter you are the best advocate and mentor for great pizza in Ohio!  :chef:  Know that we all appreciate it.

I have two skins fermenting with GM Full Strength and a loaf of Newark's Special Sourdough in the fridge.  Can't wait for them to be ready to bake tomorrow!

bigmoose:  Thanks for those kind words!  It is exciting to share the art in the flesh.  It is becoming a very rare thing with all these videos on how to become a master of whatever.  A guy came in today that is a filmaker.  He is also a pizza fanatic that heard of us.  He loved our pies and we are going to do barter deal where he will be shooting a documentary on our program and I will teach him how to make pizzas and take him along on my RD runs.  Things just keep getting better and better.  Walter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
bigmoose:  Thanks for those kind words!  It is exciting to share the art in the flesh.  It is becoming a very rare thing with all these videos on how to become a master of whatever.  A guy came in today that is a filmaker.  He is also a pizza fanatic that heard of us.  He loved our pies and we are going to do barter deal where he will be shooting a documentary on our program and I will teach him how to make pizzas and take him along on my RD runs.  Things just keep getting better and better.  Walter

Walter,

What is the current NY dough recipe you are using if you don't mind sharing.

Nate

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
Walter,

What is the current NY dough recipe you are using if you don't mind sharing.

Nate

Hi Nate:  Well I will tell you - we use the best ingredients and mix them the best way.   That makes the best dough.   ;D  That is a typical response one would get back home.  Seriously, here is my current dough recipe.  We make 15-20oz dough balls per batch which are tossed/stretched to 18" pies.  This way as we are balling one batch the next is mixing and the time on the bench is only a few minutes before they go in the fridge.  We have 2-20qt mixers and they are more than enough with our output and fridge space.  I prefer to ferment for 48-72 hours but sometimes we are pushed to 24 hours with big orders.  Walter

Full Strength flour - 11.34 pounds
water very cold tap water which is what we get in the winter and ice added in the warmer months- 7.15 pounds
IDY-1.5 tablespoons
salt- 1/3 cup

mixed for 8-10 minutes in a hobart 20 qt mixer
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:17:18 PM by waltertore »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
Hi Nate:  Well I will tell you - we use the best ingredients and mix them the best way.   That makes the best dough.   ;D  That is a typical response one would get back home.  Seriously, here is my current dough recipe.  We make 15-20oz dough balls per batch which are tossed/stretched to 18" pies.  This way as we are balling one batch the next is mixing and the time on the bench is only a few minutes before they go in the fridge.  We have 2-20qt mixers and they are more than enough with our output and fridge space.  I prefer to ferment for 48-72 hours but sometimes we are pushed to 24 hours with big orders.  Walter

Full Strength flour - 11.34 pounds
water very cold tap water which is what we get in the winter and ice added in the warmer months- 7.15 pounds
IDY-1.5 tablespoons
salt- 1/3 cup

mixed for 8-10 minutes in a hobart 20 qt mixer

Walter,

Thanks.  I will have to give your recipe a try.  Are you adding everything into the mixer at the same time?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
Walter,

Thanks.  I will have to give your recipe a try.  Are you adding everything into the mixer at the same time?

you are welcome.  water first, then flour, then yeast/salt, turn mixer on.  I have mixed the yeast with the water first but to be honest I see no difference in the finished product.  The instant yeast and salt can contact each other with no killing of the yeast unlike the cake yeast days.   I know people here often split hairs over little things but we are too busy to do that approach.  A good mixer mixes good.  walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
Dang that is a lot of cheese.  Ryan how much do you use per month?

That's a tough question to answer, Nate. I made a drastic diet change in February, which doesn't allow either dairy or carbohydrates. Which means no pizza. (It wasn't to lose weight.) In July I began slacking when I hosted a few pizza parties (to keep myself from going nuts). I bought the case of cheese specifically because of the parties, and I used probably 2/3 of it on the party pizzas.

I have not been on the special diet since summer, but I will begin the diet again as soon as I move out of my parents' house (in the next few weeks). That means no pizza for me (except when I cheat, which won't happen much).

Here's what I think you were trying to find out: Even with my pizzamaking habits prior to the diet change, which was basically a medium-ish pizza every day, a 30-pound case of cheese would have been way too much for me. I would have been willing to buy 15 or 20 lbs of cheese at a time if all the conditions were right, but definitely not a case.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »

how did the sourdough come out?  Here is a loaf from today.  the starter uses AP flour and I use Full Strength for the doug mix.  I can't get GM Harvest King anymore. I prefer that over FS but what are you gonna do?   Walter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
  A guy came in today that is a filmaker.  He is also a pizza fanatic that heard of us.  He loved our pies and we are going to do barter deal where he will be shooting a documentary on our program and I will teach him how to make pizzas and take him along on my RD runs.  Things just keep getting better and better.  Walter
Whata you know...that's great dude! You might remember I predicted this early on when you first started posting here. Please make sure I get some sort of "closing credits" in your movie Walter.....that's Bob with a B baby!   :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
Didn't want to duplicate post... put the main text in Walter's sourdough thread here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29208.msg293403.html

Mods feel free to delete this post.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:35:22 PM by bigMoose »