Author Topic: Shaping Tools  (Read 1271 times)

Offline PiedPiper

Shaping Tools
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
I think one of the things that is really killing my pizzas is my shaping/stretching technique.  I have watched most of the youtube videos on it, but the problem is it is hard to do using one hand (my other hand is mainly unusable from a stroke i had awhile back).  Does anyone know of any tools or have any suggestions that could help me out with this?

buceriasdon

Re: Shaping Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »
Not sure if this helps but:    http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25215-Kaiser-Bakeware-Pastry-Dough-Roller.aspx?sourcecode=BW3CS3008&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-102000203-2

Don

I think one of the things that is really killing my pizzas is my shaping/stretching technique.  I have watched most of the youtube videos on it, but the problem is it is hard to do using one hand (my other hand is mainly unusable from a stroke i had awhile back).  Does anyone know of any tools or have any suggestions that could help me out with this?

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
Not sure if this helps but:    http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25215-Kaiser-Bakeware-Pastry-Dough-Roller.aspx?sourcecode=BW3CS3008&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-102000203-2

Don

Actually yes thanks thats a big help since i usually resort to a regular old roller or a soup can to roll my dough (this results in totally killing any texture/crumb to my dough).  Keep the ideas coming though, id still rather find a way to stretch the dough by hand

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »
PiedPiper,

One of our members, DaveH, was also having problems with shaping skins. He discusses his solution at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6985.msg59996.html#msg59996. He later reported that he was using parchment paper on his peel, as he noted at Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7272.msg62731.html#msg62731. Maybe some combination of Don's roller suggestion and DaveH's methods might be a step forward for you. I should add that if you can form a skin, you can let it proof for about an hour, possibly on parchment paper, and that should help restore some and maybe all of the textural properties of the skin.

There are also pizza operators who use a machine (a dough roller) to roll skins out about two thirds of the way and then stretch them out the rest of the way by hand. If you are able to roll out a skin to about two thirds of the final size and then place a good-sized weight on the skin, like a heavy cast iron pan, to hold the skin firmly in place, maybe you can tug at the edges to open the skin the rest of the way out. Using a pizza screen on the skin with a weight on top of it might also help keep the skin from shrinking or reduce the shrinkage somewhat (through the frictional contact of the screen with the skin) while you tug on the edges. Then, in either case, you can let the final skin proof for a while to get some or all of its textural properties back.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
I've seen people open up a skin with one hand by pressing the ball into a disk (leaving a distinct cornice), then using the fingers and the palm push it open even more (imagine arching your hand, putting it down on the disk, and pushing your fingers and thumb away from your palm - kind of turn the disk at the same time so you work it from different directions), Finally, let the the partially opened disk drape over the edge of the counter and rotate/stretch it more with one hand and let gravity pull it down.

Making a very extensible dough will help a lot. I'd make sure it was good and rested before you go to open it. I'd also give it a little rest between the initial press down and the stretching.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply's all, my next pizza session will be on Saturday (im pretty excited too cause I found some KABF & KAAP and have an interesting topping!!!)  Ill definitely be trying a few of these methods and post pictures pending its not a huge disappointment like my last pizzas have been .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:40:35 AM by PiedPiper »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:08:30 AM »
Where is the video of the guy putting the dough ball on top of the bowl that is up side down?  That could be managed by one hand I think.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the pizza stretching advise all, in the end it was easiest for me to use a round pan, first id define my crust, then push the pizza out a bit. As it got thinner i would then draped it over the edge of the pan, rotate the pan and repeat.  This produced an incredible evenly stretched skin!  I also modified my standard dough recipe so it would be easier to work with (id like to know how much difference using King Arthur flour added to the taste/ease of making this pizza?) All-in-all I was very pleased with the results, it was slightly over cooked but that's easily fixable.  I do think the occasional burnt spot gave it a rustic taste tho, and for all that were wondering my new and interesting topping was octopus which I WILL be using again! Thanks again all

Pied

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »
Thanks for the pizza stretching advise all, in the end it was easiest for me to use a round pan, first id define my crust, then push the pizza out a bit. As it got thinner i would then draped it over the edge of the pan, rotate the pan and repeat.  This produced an incredible evenly stretched skin!  I also modified my standard dough recipe so it would be easier to work with (id like to know how much difference using King Arthur flour added to the taste/ease of making this pizza?) All-in-all I was very pleased with the results, it was slightly over cooked but that's easily fixable.  I do think the occasional burnt spot gave it a rustic taste tho, and for all that were wondering my new and interesting topping was octopus which I WILL be using again! Thanks again all

Pied

Nice pie! And very interesting topping.  If you don't mind me asking where did you get your octopus and what kind of method did you use to prep it before topping?  I grew up in Japan and Octopus is a favorite of mine.  I'd never really thought about putting it on a pizza though.
Jon

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
Nice pie! And very interesting topping.  If you don't mind me asking where did you get your octopus and what kind of method did you use to prep it before topping?  I grew up in Japan and Octopus is a favorite of mine.  I'd never really thought about putting it on a pizza though.

I actually had mom mail me a few cans from south jersey for my niece to try since I can't find it around here (no where Mississippi).  You should be able to find them either along with the sardines/anchovies or with the Goya products in a modern  super market though.  There was no prep involved (altho in hind sight i should have diced the pieces before putting them on the pie) since they are cooked and packaged in oil.  Here is what i used

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=356683&storeId=10052&langId=-1
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:08:06 PM by PiedPiper »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
Pied,

You did a great job forming your dough!  Your finished pie really looks good.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
PiedPiper,

After you described how you made your skin, I was reminded of a pizza mold that the Sbarro chain uses to make its skins. I wrote about that mold, together with a link to the actual product, at Reply 79 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2061.msg82059/topicseen.html#msg82059. The advantage I see over a regular pan is that the Sbarro mold is much heavier and less likely to slide as a result. I believe that you could use the same "draping" method as you used with your pan to form the skin to the final desired size. At the same time, you might be able to form a more defined rim, just as the Sbarro workers form in their stores.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
PiedPiper, you did a FANTASTIC job stretching that dough one handed.  The pie looks great.  I don't think I could do the same without a lot of practice.   Nice job.   

Chau

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »
I actually had mom mail me a few cans from south jersey for my niece to try since I can't find it around here (no where Mississippi).  You should be able to find them either along with the sardines/anchovies or with the Goya products in a modern  super market though.  There was no prep involved (altho in hind sight i should have diced the pieces before putting them on the pie) since they are cooked and packaged in oil.  Here is what i used

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=356683&storeId=10052&langId=-1

Oh wow, interesting.  I did not realize they had "canned" octopus.  Not quite sure i'd care for the oil on it though.  I have plenty of places I can get fresh (precooked, like at any sushi place) here in SoCal, so I doubt I'll ever go that route but very interesting indeed. I would agree that dicing up into a little smaller pieces would probably be better or if they are big enough you might be able to slice them into thin strips and use like a salami or pepperoni.
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
Oh wow, interesting.  I did not realize they had "canned" octopus.  Not quite sure i'd care for the oil on it though.  I have plenty of places I can get fresh (precooked, like at any sushi place) here in SoCal, so I doubt I'll ever go that route but very interesting indeed. I would agree that dicing up into a little smaller pieces would probably be better or if they are big enough you might be able to slice them into thin strips and use like a salami or pepperoni.

I've not tried it on pizza, but I have had canned smoked octopus that is really quite good and a lot more tender than fresh.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan