Author Topic: Using Milled Flax Seed in dough to promote browning.  (Read 427 times)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Using Milled Flax Seed in dough to promote browning.
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
I was requested to bake a cake for a 2 year old's birthday party and was asked if I could make an egg free version since a couple of the expected guests/kids had egg allergies.  In my research to find a good egg substitute I came across milled flax seed.  This might be common knowledge to some readers but it was new to me and brought me to wondering how it would affect pizza dough, especially for those who add oil to their dough for additional browning.

See below for a quote from the AmeriFlax website.

Quote from: AmeriFlax Website
Flaxseed and Baking
Add flaxseed to your baking for a pleasant nutty taste, and more. Attractive flaxseed adds flavor, extra texture and good nutrition to your breads and other baked goods. You can add it to your home baked products in its whole seed or milled form.
# Whole Flaxseed
Add a scoopful of flaxseed to bread doughs and pancake, muffin or cookie mixes. When sprinkled on top of any of these before baking, the seeds add crunch, taste and eye appeal.
# Milled Flaxseed
Mill a desired amount of flaxseed to a granular, free-flowing meal in a coffee bean grinder. Added to your baked goods, the milled flaxseed enhances the flavor, appearance and food value of the finished product.

Substitutions in Recipes
# For Fat
Substitute flax for fat in your recipes, using 3 tbsp ground flax seed for 1 tbsp of margarine, butter or cooking oil. Flax can be substituted for all or some of the fat, depending on the recipe. Note that baking with flax, as fat substitute will cause baked goods to brown more quickly.
# For Eggs
Substitute a ground flax seed/water mixture for eggs in recipes such as pancakes, muffins and cookies. Use 1 tbsp ground flax plus 3 tbsp water - left sitting for several minutes - for each egg. Note that this will result in a chewier version of the recipe, with less volume.

For those that have added Flax Seed to dough, can you give any comments on your experience?
1) Browning affect if any?
2) Taste affect?
3) Dough handling affect?

Thanks! :chef:
Jon

pizzapan