Author Topic: My new LBE and pies  (Read 34721 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: My new LBE and pies
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:15 AM »
OMG, those pies look incredible. You could use that Margherita in the advertising of any top-tier place, and their business would go up!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
Thank you guys.  Craig, what a nice thing to say.  I still have more work to do on my pies yet, but as long as I enjoy eating them, then I'll keep at it.

Next time, I'll try the red onion cashew combo just to see the difference in taste.  The crunchy texture of the nuts is great though.  

Ponzu, the dough is 75/25 00/hg hand mixed.   I did an hour of a modified autolyse with the salt, yeast, and 1% of oil and then did 2 cycles of hand kneading for 3 minutes separated by 10min rest periods in between.  These were also 20 hour room temp pies.  

The pies that I made previously (not posted) were done in the bosch.  I overmixed it by mixing it for 12min to see what would happen and the result was a tight crumb.  Not good.  

For my next batch I may keep everything the same and just do a longer bulk to see the difference.
I can make great pies using  75/25 HG/00 but I have made even lighter pies with the 00/hg blend so I've been tinkering with that.  The 00/hg blend is a hit or miss at this point but I think I am closing in on it.

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
I can make great pies using  75/25 HG/00 but I have made even lighter pies with the 00/hg blend so I've been tinkering with that.  The 00/hg blend is a hit or miss at this point but I think I am closing in on it.

Chau

Chau - Are you going to continue with the blends when you start baking in the WFO?

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
As always, really nice looking pizzas. Again and again they are picture worthy snaps!

Chau, in actuality, the Rosa does not have any sauce or basil.....parmigiano-reggiano, red onion, pistachios, and rosemary...but I'm sure you already know that.

That being said, I too have used the red onion and pistachio mix with sauce as well....and it is really friggen good. :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Man, the latest pictures coming from Chau, John, Craig (Tx) and Mmmph are just driving me completely batshit!!!

Put me outta my misery already by choking me with a mouthful of one of youtz guys-es pizzas already. Just sick stuff guys....keep it comin!  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Kelly - you're right about the rosa, I like it with sauce better.  

Thanks for the props Kelly.  You are going to have a lot of fun with that LBE.  If done right, it can bake up great pies.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:58:22 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
.....and I like it with sauced better. 

So you're saying you like it with sauce or eating it while sauced better Chau? Sounds like a winner either way  :P

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
PB, you'd think I was sauced all the time from all the typos I make.  :-D

John, I do plan to use different blends at different temps just to see what I really like.  I don't know, but I do want to continuing adding a bit of HG flour to the 00.  Hopefully I won't have burning issues. 

Chau

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
Beautiful looking crust.  
You will not have burning issues.... but once you get your wfo you are going to be in pizza nirvāna.

m.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
Beautiful looking crust.  
You will not have burning issues.... but once you get your wfo you are going to be in pizza nirvāna.

m.

Thank you Doodneyy, I hope you are right.  I would hate to let everyone down.  :-[

Made a couple of decent pies tonight.  These are a 50/50 blend (hg/00), IDY, 10 hour same day pies.   

Pie #1 Borrowed Mmmph's idea of using Asparagus with a twist.   This one is white sauce, asparagus, pine nuts.  I thought the pine nuts complimented the asparagus nicely.

Pie #2 Garlic and Shrimp pie.

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:23 AM »
Thank you Doodneyy, I hope you are right.  I would hate to let everyone down.  :-[

Made a couple of decent pies tonight.  These are a 50/50 blend (hg/00), IDY, 10 hour same day pies.  

Pie #1 Borrowed Mmmph's idea of using Asparagus with a twist.   This one is white sauce, asparagus, pine nuts.  I thought the pine nuts complimented the asparagus nicely.

Pie #2 Garlic and Shrimp pie.

The first pic at 11:00 a clock ( see the poof) wait till you see it out of your wfo...
Very nice looking dough you have going there!  ;)

This is what you are going to get...
After you bite a piece it springs back like you never touched it..

m.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:11:32 AM by doodneyy »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »
Doodneyy, that is an exquisite crumb shot.  What flour is that?  I presume baked in your WFO?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:01 AM »
Just found an old doughball I had made for an experiment last week but abandoned.  Bake it up and it was very very good.   As good as some of my best pies.  

First off this was a 75/25 00/hg blend.  68% HR, 0.3% IDY, 2.8% salt.  I made it as part of an experiment which would entail minimal kneading and a series of S&F's during a 2 day cold fermentation.   Well after the first night of CF, I got side track with yet a different experiment and decided to abandon this single doughball.   So it sat in the fridge <40F for 6 days!  

I made dough up tonight for a bake tomorrow night and as I was putting this new dough to sleep found this guy.   Black specks on top but the dough didn't look blown to me.  No smell of sourness either.  So with a 20m preheat time, I wanted to see what this guy was all about.  During the preheat, I warmed him up in some hot tap water.   This dough still stretched easily and was still cool by the time the LBE was ready.  

So here's the dough...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:56:23 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2011, 01:43:04 AM »
Here's the pie...

It had that  really light and crispy texture that I like so much.   As good as some of my best pies below...

reply #21 page 2.  a 4 hour pie made with 30% starter and 0.7% IDY
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12538.20.html

reply #327 MBE pie.  CF 1.5d, 10% starter and a pinch of IDY.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.320.html

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:50:12 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
You have the magic touch Chau. I am not sure that I could tell from the pics alone it did not come from a WFO.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
Chau,

Your 6 day old forgotten dough ball into a pizza looks very good!  Since you found this dough ball and now have done the experiment of using it, doesnít this confuse you more about how you got about the same pizza and taste as with 4 hour pie made with 30% starter and 0.7% IDY you made?  Donít you wonder how it could had have the same light and crispy texture that you like so much?  That is a big difference in the time to ferment the two doughs.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:17:35 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jever4321

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:22 AM »
I agree your forgotten dough, last second throw together a pizza looks awesome. Its amazing how much structure you always get in your crumb. Good work!
-Jay

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
Thanks John, Norma, and Jay.  

John - I wish I could turn out this caliber of pie all the time, but I can't yet.

Norma a couple of observations.  

1) that a 6 day old dough could be this good.  I don't think it's in the length of fermentation since I have been able to get this texture with a few 4 hour doughs, and an 10 hour HG dough as well.  If I had to guess, it has to do with the specific extent of fermentation coupled with how the gluten is developed.  But I have no idea.  Even when keeping great notes, I can repeat all the steps and still miss the mark.  

2) there was no hint of sourness in smell or taste.  I know we have discuss this before where you mentioned that you had a very long CF dough without any sourness.  For me the 6 days of CF offered no additional flavor as others talk about.   It just had this great texture, but again it can be done with a 3-4 hour fermentation using a high % of starter.   I have done this with starters and an emergency dough twice.  

3) the dough lasted that long without overfermenting.  I used 0.3% IDY and the dough was only out for 30m prior to cold fermentation and I used cold water.  

4) Some of my best pies, the dough has been fermented to the point that it had a few large bubbles emerging from the top, especially if they have been cold fermented.  The dough usually looks very wet, almost putty like.  

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:05:03 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
Chau, it is very hard to tell from the pictures, but the crumb looks dryer than the results from here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.msg132981.html#msg132981  was it, or just does it just appear that way?  Anywho, keep up the good work. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

Norma a couple of observations.  

1) that a 6 day old dough could be this good.  I don't think it's in the length of fermentation since I have been able to get this texture with a few 4 hour doughs, and an 10 hour HG dough as well.  If I had to guess, it has to do with the specific extent of fermentation coupled with how the gluten is developed.  But I have no idea.  Even when keeping great notes, I can repeat all the steps and still miss the mark.  

2) there was no hint of sourness in smell or taste.  I know we have discuss this before where you mentioned that you had a very long CF dough without any sourness.  For me the 6 days of CF offered no additional flavor as others talk about.   It just had this great texture, but again it can be done with a 3-4 hour fermentation using a high % of starter.   I have done this with starters and an emergency dough twice.  

3) the dough lasted that long without overfermenting.  I used 0.3% IDY and the dough was only out for 30m prior to cold fermentation and I used cold water.  

4) Some of my best pies, the dough has been fermented to the point that it had a few large bubbles emerging from the top, especially if they have been cold fermented.  The dough usually looks very wet, almost putty like.  

Chau,

Thanks for telling me your observations.  :) I also had some of the same experiences you had, but have a hard times sometimes figuring out why it happened.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan