Author Topic: My new LBE and pies  (Read 34010 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My new LBE and pies
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »
Chau, it is very hard to tell from the pictures, but the crumb looks dryer than the results from here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.msg132981.html#msg132981  was it, or just does it just appear that way?  Anywho, keep up the good work. :chef:

If it was, it was very slight and I didn't notice it, but I'm always watching out for crumb texture.  Even when it's a bit off and not perfect, I'll try to note it.   The pies that you linked to were 75% HG pies with 1% oil.  The above pie is 75% 00 without oil.   Thanks for linking that Gene, as it is another example of getting a similar crumb using a totally different flour, workflow, and even a bit of oil.  

I think that they were both feremented to the same extent (regardless of time) and both had good/proper gluten development.  I think perhaps the small amount of oil may have made the 75% HG pie look a bit more moist.   But side by side contest, I would give it to the 75% 00 pie.  

I've been chasing after and studying the crumb for a bit now and looks can be a bit deceiving.  I have made plenty of dry crumbs before.  The trick for me is to try to ferment it to the point right before it becomes dry or tough.   And that's if I haven't over developed the gluten.  If you look carefully, my best crumbs that I rave about all look very similar.   They have those tiny fermentation bubbles that TXCraig talks about.   Who knows, he and I may be eating the same thing, but as I said before I'm not to the point of getting it consistently everytime as he seeems to.    The crust is ever so light, crisp, with little chew despite the crumb looking a bit dry.   I just don't know how these pies eat after sitting for 10minutes b/c they just don't last long.   They are usually eaten up pretty darn quickly.  

Chau
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:03:19 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
I was trying to type a reply last night to Jays topic about your doughball and the computer or internet froze up on me,so I had to reboot.Dont know what it was.Then it was getting late so I had to go.

Anyways I wrote "I bet thats going to be one of your best pies,since it was so late at night and the dough was that old."
 :-D

Sure enough,you made a fantastic pie right there!Nice work,looks great!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »
Thanks Bill, you were right!!!  ;D

Okay so I wanted to see if I could repeat the results of the 6 day dough, but double up the yeast and give it a 2 day CF, with a slightly longer RT fermentation prior to CF.   The results were pretty close, perhaps better with the 2nd pie but I don't know since I didn't eat any of it.  I made it for the guys building my ODK to sample.;D  I thought the crumb on the 2nd one look great though.  

Tonight's LBE pies.  

1) Onions, fresh garlic, pistachios, cherry tomatoes.
2) Pepperoni

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
you suck. that is all.

:-D
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
I hope that you totally burn the hell out of your first wfo pizza.  I also hope that you keep posting about your methods to achieve what you consider your perfect pizza.  Viva La Chau. >:D :-D :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:44 AM »
That second one.  Yum.  I don't really expect you to have any trouble adjusting to the WFO, but it would be nice to know that you are mortal.  Could we see just one BAD pie? 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »
 :-D  I love you guys!   :-D

Robyn, I know you haven't seen my old threads but I still make lots of mediocre pies and have burnt a number of them back in the day. 

When I first made my MBE (mini black egg), I was burning pie after pie so I decided that the MBE was better for wokking.  :chef:

reply #11
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.0.html

Here's a burnt pie for ya.  >:D reply #49 in that same thread.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.40.html

In that same thread you will also see that I shattered my wife's glass table top by putting a warm firebrick on it.   :-[ 

Then later that summer, as I was first learning how to grow tomato plants, I ended up drowning and killing 2 trees by over watering the tomato plants that I had planted near the trees.    :-\

All in the name of pizza.   :-D

I also have a whole collection of funny fishing stories and bone head mistakes I've made there including drowning a brand new $25k truck in salt water.   :o

Chau

Offline pennygirl

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
hilarious dude. realize how far you've come in such a short time? I was checking out some of your earliest bakes, haha. It's to the point i think most of them now are beyond anything that Varasano put out here. No disrespect of course to Jeff and what he did for many of us,  just saying.  

JT, what are your thoughts/methods with fresh garlic on your pies? do you add straight or is that too strong in your opinion?

thank you sir.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:04:31 AM by pennygirl »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
Chau what roni are you using? I can never get it to cup like that.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
Okay, some of that was pretty funny, but really?  June 5 to June 18, yeah you really must have sweated that 13 days from burnt to gorgeous pizza  :P  It will be fun to see, I suspect the transition to WFO won't even slow you down because you understand your doughs so well.  The project is looking amazing! 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Zak thanks for the vote of confidence.  I have alot of respect for Mr. Verasano.   Like most of us, I started out googling NY pizza and ended up at his website.   He has shared a lot of valuable info freely to the public.  I spent the first 6 months of pizza making using his recipe and tried to adapt what I could of his methods towards a hand kneading regimen.   I have since gone my own way, but I'll always be thankful to Jeff.  I'll have to try to make it down to his restaurant some day to see what he is doing now.   No doubt he makes great pizza since is voted top 10.   IMO, I think Jeff has also evolve quite a bit from the days he posted here.  

For the garlic, I slice thinly by hand and top liberally.  It's not too strong and doesn't have that bite that garlic can when it's not cooked.   Shrimp and garlic is one of my all time favorites.

David, I use Boar's head pepperoni on that pie.  

Robyn, I have been obsessed to the point of making dough/pizza 4 days back to back.   I have on average made pizza 3-4 times a week for the last (almost) 2 years with maybe taking 1 week break here and there.  I have had much success but also many failures a long that road.   I have for the most part enjoyed it though.  The forum has provided a needed outlet for me.  

I too hope the transition will be smooth.  I'm continually learning and trying new things so I don't even consider myself any kind of an expert or "there" yet but just learning what I can and trying to keep it fun.

Chau
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:14:11 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
Hi Gang
Jackie/Chau I am really happy to follow these LBE threads and almost all others. I just did my own clone build and see potential for sure.  The thing that most pics seem to show though is a not quite hot enough top center on finished pies. I like my cheese and toppings a bit more seared.
I guess I'd like to know the latest top baffle tweaks to get more heat not just out on the crust edge, but on the top center.
My build was from a totally old and unused Charbroil charcoal grill and cheap turkey fryer propane burner. I have only tried it once, but it came out nice.

John :pizza:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »
John, funny you mentioned that you like your cheese more done.  We have some members that prefer the cheese to look one way and others another.  When I first started making pizzas, I like the cheese spotted as you.  Over time, I have come to prefer a cheese that is melted and just beginning to oil off, but I no longer desire a spotted cheese.  

To get a spotted cheese using the LBE, simply lower the ceiling closer to the the pie or elevated the pie into your ceiling.  In the weber charcoal grill specifically, you can use the ash catcher, drill a hole through the center of it and attach it to the lid.  The dome of the ash catcher will force the heat closer to the pie and char your cheese.  

Another method of achieving this is to use a stone in the lid instead of a metal disk.  I believe members Ronzo, Buceriasdon, Essens1, and many others use a stone in the top lid.  The stone absorbs heat and either reflects or radiates heat to help char the cheese.   You can contact them via PM or if they read your post, they can link you to threads where they have posted their builds.  

Weber charcoal grills can be found on Craigslist for as little as $10-$20.   Buddy that with a $40 burner and a few small mods and you can have a hell of a pizza oven.   My LBE makes fantastic pizzas and I'll continue to bake in it despite having a WFO now, especially during winter times or when I just want to bake 2 pies.  

You'll have a lot of fun with the LBE, but it does require some tweaking to get optimal results.  If you want to read about my successes and failures with the MBE (mini black egg) prior to building my LBE just search for "MBE" and you'll see it.  Don't forget to take time to read the original LBE thread (60+ pages).  That thread is full of ideas for getting the most out of your LBE.

Good luck,
Chau
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:22:13 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:35 AM »
Doodneyy, that is an exquisite crumb shot.  What flour is that?  I presume baked in your WFO?

Thank you.
Sorry for the late response..
Yes it was baked in the wfo...
Check this one out baked tonight....

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Made a few pies in the LBE this morning for breakfast.   These are NY style pies.

1) Cheese pie, bake with stone temp of 575 for just over 4 minutes.
2) Pepperoni, stone temp of 640F 3m30s.

Pie 2 was better.  Wanted to say  that these pies rival those made in the WFO.  The WFO is still better but not by much.  Hard to put my finger on the difference between my LBE NY pies and my WFO pies, but they are very close with the edge going to the WFO. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
Also made a hybrid pie 75/25 (00/hg).  Baked at 680F for 2m30s.  Topped with CharSiu bbq pork and thai basil.  Not my prettiest pie but it was good for breakfast.   :D

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
Those look CRUNCHY!  What a great breakfast - looks like something a person with a hangover would love...  ;D

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
You're out of control.

These all look great.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline AgPie

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »
Chau, can you post some more pictures from different angle of the bowl and lid. btw, your 16" stone looks like a metal plate

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
Chau, can you post some more pictures from different angle of the bowl and lid. btw, your 16" stone looks like a metal plate

AgPie, I'm not quite sure what angles you are looking for.  I thought the pictures in the fist post are pretty clear.  I show progressively how my LBE is set up in layers.  Here are some more pictures of the inside of the lid.  It has your typical cut up for the vent up front.  The inverted ash catcher attached with a screw.  And around the ash catcher towards the back of the lid (directly opposite of the lid vent) there is an air deflector.  This is for the purpose of directing hot air onto the top crust of the rim.  

Let me know if this helps or not.