Author Topic: My new LBE and pies  (Read 35990 times)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: My new LBE and pies
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
Just built my LBE last week. . . .

Dear Chau, when I today saw this monstrous ceramic grill at the hardware store, I immediately thought of you! Since the body and top of this grill is made of thick ceramic, they should be able to retain heat better than the metal ones. I believe the diameter of the grill was 19 inches. Good night!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:27:30 PM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
Hi Omid, thanks for thinking of me and going through the effort of posting up a picture.  You must have been at Lowe's Home Improvement store, as I remember seeing the same ceramic oven a few months back at my local Lowe's.  It was literally set up in the same spot amongst the BBQ grills and displayed in the same fashion.   :-D

I don't have the same ceramic grill but I do own the Primo Ceramic grill.  It is essentially the same grill except it is oval shaped and has a larger grilling surface.  As a matter of fact, my pizza journey began in the Primo Ceramic grill on another forum.  It was only after a few months of experimenting, did I find this forum.  If you can believe it, I have tried numerous configurations and setups in the Primo Ceramic grill including setting up a mini oven inside the grill much like what you did in your home oven. 

You can see some of my experiments on this grill in this thread...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10974.0

For those people who like the look of my pizzas now, you should really check out that thread.  It has a lot of my earlier pizzas which were rather subpar looking.  :-D  I didn't always know how to make pizza and struggled as much as anyone else does with making the dough.

Ceramic grills such as the one posted by Omid, the BGE, the Primo, etc make okay pizza ovens.  They can bake an American style pizza at 650 for 6-8 minutes or more and do a decent job.   It's becomes increasingly challenging when you ask it to bake a pizza at higher temps with a shorter bake time.  The uneveness of the heat easily triples and becomes much more of a challenge to get a good even bake. 

To bake pies at 750-900F, it takes much more charcoal, and it becomes very easy to toast the gaskets, and stretch the metal bands and hinges that hold the lid together.  I have read of several reports of the lids coming apart during a high temp bake.  You can see towards the end of that thread, that I was able to bake up some decent coal oven style pies but it was not without a lot of effort. 

Ceramic grills are great for grilling, smoking meats, & bbq'ing in general but not the best tool for pizza.  I found the LBE to work much better. 

It's interesting to note that many members who buy these ceramic grills often have graduated from the metal charcoal grills and will have them laying around.  If they haven't gotten rid of the metal charcoal grills, the LBE mod makes a great pizza oven.  Very quick to heat up and can bake great pizzas once one balances out the heat distribution of course.

Cheers,
Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
I am trying a new mod for the lbe. I bought a piece of sheet metal and instead of attaching it to the lid I just placed it in the base. I will attach a pic. Anyone have an opinion on this? I haven't tried it yet with pizza.

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
I think it's a great idea. I was thinking of the same thing, you beat me to it. Good luck. Want to see the results.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
Chau

Dear Chau, I was nosing around your Youtube page and I came upon your beautiful wood-fired oven and your soulful Pizza Napoletana! How come you did not post any pictures of these here? Please, tell me about your new wood-fired oven. I guess the bootcamp days are over for you! It is amazing how a WFO actualizes the potentials that were always there and that one may not had been cognizant of. I enthusiastically look forward to what you can do with your new oven . . . Good day!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:51:13 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
Omid, thank you for the nice words.

The thread discussing my wfo build project can be found here.  

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11683.0

The first 5 pages of the thread is just me elliciting information from our members about wfo's in general.  Page 6 is the beginning of the outdoor kitchen (ODK) and WFO build.   I hope you find the thread somewhat informative and entertaining.  

A quick synopsis.  I've had my WFO since May of 2011 (5 months now).  It is a Forno Bravo Premio2g100 model (40" floor) with ~ 14" dome height in the center.  The oven is a precasted refractory oven and not a brick oven.   At the time, considering the overall cost of the ODK project, I was trying to keep the cost down a bit and stay within a tight budget.   If I were to do the project again, I would strongly consider the Four Grand Mere oven with it's brick (veneer) interior as member RobynB has bought.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13956.0

The brick interior is just beautiful to me and I'm a bit regretful that I didn't spend the extra money for a higher grade oven.  Overall though, for the time and money invested, I am well pleased with the performance of this oven.   I am able to cook both NP and NY style pizzas in it.

You can see many of my WFO pizzas in this thread here...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14201.0

There is a picture of that pizza from the YT video on page 14, reply #275.

I typically like to get the wfo upto 850-900F and bake a few NP pies and then let the oven cool down and bake NY style pies for my family and guests.   Many of my guests don't seem to be open to the idea of NP pizza yet and are either not familiar with the NP style or it is my lack of skill.  :-D  Probably my lack of skill so I will defer to the first excuse for now.  

If you are incline, you can note my first NP style pizzas and follow the progress of the pies.  I'm very new to the style and have a great interest in learning how to make proper NP style pizzas.  

I am constantly trying to learn new techniques and gain more knowledge about dough and pizza in general, so I am constantly trying new methods and experiments.  It's fun but can sometimes be exhausting and fustrating.  The NP style has been very difficult for me and I am not anywhere near where  I want to be with it.

Chau
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:47:40 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2011, 03:39:46 AM »
I've had my WFO since May of 2011 (5 months now). . . .

Dear Chau, I thank you for all the information. I am excited for you! I look forward to your Neapolitan pizzas. Good night!

Pizza01

« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
wow chau
when i read this i got a big smile on my face.
i am also very excited for you. wfo!
i was just looking on your first pizzas that you post on may last year. :D
looking forward to whats coming from that oven.  :)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
Thank you Omid and Michael!  I have been taking a much needed break from pizza, 2 weeks and counting.  ;D  This is the first time I have taken an extended break in the last 2 years of pizza making.  I hope to get back to it soon!  I have some new ideas to try out that I have been learning from the bread making world.

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »
Well I guess I couldn't stay away too long.  I ended up making pizza tonight....twice!  :-[

I made up a batch of dough with starter yesterday and baked around 5pm for dinner.  The pies were okay but the crust was terrible!  I was highly dissappointed.  So what did I do after eating a bunch of pizza?  I made up another emergency batch of dough with IDY and baked at 1030pm.  These pies turned out better, so I had to eat again. 

Totonno's style Cheese pie and a mushroom, pepperoni, & jalapeno pie. 

Pizza01

« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »
i took 6 months break  :-D
but i am back now.
great pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
Well I guess I couldn't stay away too long.  I ended up making pizza tonight....twice!  :-[

I made up a batch of dough with starter yesterday and baked around 5pm for dinner.  The pies were okay but the crust was terrible!  I was highly dissappointed.  So what did I do after eating a bunch of pizza?  I made up another emergency batch of dough with IDY and baked at 1030pm.  These pies turned out better, so I had to eat again.  

Totonno's style Cheese pie and a mushroom, pepperoni, & jalapeno pie.  

Chau,

Lol, I had to chuckle when you posted your first batch of pies didn't turn out like you wanted, so you then went ahead and made another batch.   :-D Your second batch does look very tasty!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
That second batch came out beautifully! Did you figure out what the problem was with the first batch? 

scott123

« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
These pies turned out better, so I had to eat again.

That's my motto  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the nice words, I'm alwaysntrying to make it better.  

That second batch came out beautifully! Did you figure out what the problem was with the first batch?  

Completely different technique for the first.  I was trying out some new techniques from the bread baking side.  I made 2 different flour blend batches for the new technique.  On one of them I over mixed the dough in my Kitchen aid and witness for the first time the dough matrix falling apart and the dough becoming wet and sticky again.  The 2nd batch from my first go round, over fermented a bit.  With a starter, I never get good results if I let it ferment to long.

This 2nd batch pictured was an old stand by recipe with a few tweaks.

Chau

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
Hey Chau

Those pies at the beginning of this thread are gorgeous.  I keep looking at those every time I hop on the board.  One question... it looks like the basil is fresh, placed post bake (they look really green) but if you look closely you can see some of the cheese on top of the basil. So I am assuming you put the basil on pre bake ???

Personally I like the taste of the basil "cooked" on the pie but I like the green contrast the basil makes on the pie placed post bake. 

Scot

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »
hi chau,what  do you use for your tottonos sauce? is that sicilian oregano on top. it looks really good

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
Thanks Scot and Larry.  

Scott, for that bake the basil was put on prior to baking.  the heat is uneven in the LBE, so they didn't char as they would in a WFO.

Larry, the sauce is crushed Carmelinas canned Italian tomatoes with a bit of sea salt and sugar.  Yes and topped with Sicillian oregano.

I find it very interesting that cheese pizza tastes quite different when topped using the Totonno method.

Chau
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:37:38 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline AgPie

« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2011, 05:41:37 AM »
Hi Chau

Can the same setup be used for 14" weber grill, instead of your MBE setup
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.0.html

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
Hi Chau

Can the same setup be used for 14" weber grill, instead of your MBE setup
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.0.html

Yes, the same set up can be used for both.  Both my MBE and LBE are set up similarly and produce similar results.  I would only recommend the MBE over the LBE, if you only make a few small pies (11" or less) at a time, most of the time.  Or if company doesn't mind waiting a bit for more pizza.  The 11" pies get eaten up pretty quick.

Chau

pizzapan