Author Topic: Peter Reinhartís Country Pizza Dough & Classic Pizza Dough, Neo-Neapolitan Style  (Read 34711 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
This is my next attempt for the Classic Reinhart dough to be made at market tomorrow.  I mixed the dough this morning.  This is also the formula I used and pictures of what the dough looked like after being mixed (with paddle attachement only), reballed, and other workflow I used are on the formula sheet.  The dough is now going to cold ferment until tomorrow.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I used the classic Reinhart dough today that was only cold fermented for one day.  I didnít reball at all today and just left the dough ball warm-up for 2 hrs. at room temperature, to see if more reballs were needed.  The dough was still sticky on the bottom of the container, but with a little bit of bench flour put on the top of the dough ball before taking it out of the container, and putting a little bench flour on the bottom of the dough ball that was on the bench the dough did open well.  This pizza almost baked like last week, and the crumb was moist, but the flavor of the crust wasnít as good, I guess because it was only cold fermented for one day.  For the thickness factor I used in the formula, I also thought was too thin.  I really donít like a thin crust like I made today, but the pizza was still good.  I donít know what to try for next week.

Pictures below

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
end of pictures

Norma

Offline jeffereynelson

Looks good, I'd definitely eat that. But my question is: Why do you make pizza in a hardware store?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Looks good, I'd definitely eat that. But my question is: Why do you make pizza in a hardware store?

jeffereynelson,

Thanks for saying the pizza looks good.  :)  I don't make the pizza in a hardware store.  :-D  I have a small pizza stand at our local farmer's market.  The tool lady is across the aisle from me. (the hardware store)  There are many other stands near me also. 

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Nice lookin' Norma, not much browning though...I'll bet it needed a bit more fridge time!!!  As for the longevity of a Reinhart dough, I wanted to pass this on to you...here is a Reinhart dough, (made with a brand new packet of yeast even!), made to Reinhart's specs exactly, with 2% oil, and it sat in my fridge for 7 days.  It was excellent!!!!

John

Offline Chet

Hi fazzari

Looks Good, what was the yeast % for a 7 day in the fridge ferment, what water temp did you start with a was the yeast ADY or IDY

Chet

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
John,

Your 7 day cold fermented Reinhart pizza looks excellent!  :)  What amount of yeast did you use for the 7 day cold ferment, as Chet posted too?  I will have to try a longer cold ferment to get better flavor in the crust.  Thanks for your help.

I am always having problems with my Bakerís Pride oven in browning of any of my crusts I have experimented with.  I donít know what is up with that.  I have been trying to figure out for a long while why my crust never browns right.  I had even added dairy whey to some of my doughs and my bottom crust usually browns well, but never the top. 

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member

Hi fazzari

Looks Good, what was the yeast % for a 7 day in the fridge ferment, what water temp did you start with a was the yeast ADY or IDY

Chet
Yeast % same as given in Reinharts original recipe, water temp 80 degrees, and I use IDY...I followed the original recipe to a T.
John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Yeast % same as given in Reinharts original recipe, water temp 80 degrees, and I use IDY...I followed the original recipe to a T.
John

John,

Can you tell me what is Reinhartís original recipe or a link to where I can find it?  I get confused with all the variations on Peter Reinhart classic dough.  I have been experimenting with the one on Pizza Quest.  Thanks for telling what you final dough temperature was and how you followed Reinhartís recipe to the T.  :)

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

As I understand it the benefit of stretch-and-fold is slow, gentle gluten development so riddle me this:  what if after a few minutes of mixing in my new(!) Bosch I let it sit in the bowl for 5 minutes before giving it a 5 second pulse on low?  Repeat 3 times at 5 minute intervals and voila, I have a dough ball that should be quite similar.  I can't imagine that 5 seconds would be overdoing it and if the result seems underdeveloped I could add a pulse or up the time to 10 seconds.

What do you think?  Am I forgetting a benefit of S&F?

Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
As I understand it the benefit of stretch-and-fold is slow, gentle gluten development so riddle me this:  what if after a few minutes of mixing in my new(!) Bosch I let it sit in the bowl for 5 minutes before giving it a 5 second pulse on low?  Repeat 3 times at 5 minute intervals and voila, I have a dough ball that should be quite similar.  I can't imagine that 5 seconds would be overdoing it and if the result seems underdeveloped I could add a pulse or up the time to 10 seconds.

What do you think?  Am I forgetting a benefit of S&F?

Dave

Dave,

I donít have a Bosch and only used my Kitchen Aid mixer so far to make this dough, but since I have been working with some higher hydration doughs, in my experience the stretch and folds are needed to get the dough under control.  I have found when using a lower protein flour than what the absorption rate is, stretch and folds help to develop the gluten. In the higher hydration doughs I have tried, this is what I have learned so far. They do need the stretch and folds.  This also relates to bread making when using high hydration doughs.  Letting the dough rest and then doing the stretch and folds, makes the dough stronger.  If I havenít explained enough, let me know and I will try to explain better. 

I donít know what will happen if you go about your method to strengthen the dough with your Bosch.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Norma
I use Reinhart's recipe found at Pizza Quest.  As I've said before, I do everything exactly the same as the procedure outlined on the website, until I get to the final fold.  From there, I prefer to scale, ball, and refrigerate my doughs.  Also, I find reballing my doughs 5 to 10 hours before baking much preferred to his stated method of two hours...I'm wondering now if i should experiment with reballing even earlier to see if I get the same results I am now.  It would be interesting!!!  (By the way, I also use his percentages listed, except I don't reduce my water if I add oil.)

Dave
If I were going to try Reinhart's methods in a commercial setting, I'd do exactly what you are suggesting.  After all, a stretch-and-fold takes all of 5 seconds....so a very short mix in your mixer should move the dough enough to get the same results.  I've never experimented with this, but it seems pretty logical to me!!

John

Offline dmaxdmax

Thanks guys!

Like everything else, if I try it I will be sure to report back.

I said this in another thread but I'm certain that if they used pizza dough to teach chemistry and the scientific method our kids would do much better in science!   :-D
Always make new mistakes.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
John,

Thanks for posting you do use the recipe found at Pizza Quest.  I wonder if I try your method of not doing the stretch and fold until about 5 to 10 hrs. before the bake if I will get about the same results as you did.  I think I might try oil in the dough again. Good to know you donít change the percentage of water when you use oil.  I am still also wondering about my oven not browning right.  I guess I will have to do the experiment to find out.  For next Tuesdayís  bake I will try making the dough this Friday. 

I would be interested if you decide try the experiment of reballing earlier to see what would happen. 

Dave,

I also learn from each persons experiments.  Good luck if you try your experiment with your Bosch.   :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
John,

I am still puzzled about the Reinhart dough recipe you are using with 2% oil. Both the Classic and Country dough recipes call for more than 2% oil.

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Peter
On the country doughs I use the full amount of oil...simply because I've only made them 3 times now and haven't really experimented.  On the classic doughs, I've been making variations I think since last September...most of them had no oil at all, but lately I've tried adding just a little to see what I may notice.  I'm still most concerned with the simple process of making this high hydrated dough, kinda like you were drawn to Lehmann's for it's simplicity....I'm with you... I love simple.

John

Offline jeffereynelson

Norma,

so the other day I noticed you were making pies in a hardware store (jk) and then I just realized you are from Lancaster. My wife is from Lititz and last year we were visiting her parents and we went to a farmers market/swap meet to get funnel cake and I think it was called green dragon. That wouldn't happen to be the same place? Would be really random.

Jeff

pizzapan