Author Topic: Peter Reinhartís Country Pizza Dough & Classic Pizza Dough, Neo-Neapolitan Style  (Read 34710 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma,

so the other day I noticed you were making pies in a hardware store (jk) and then I just realized you are from Lancaster. My wife is from Lititz and last year we were visiting her parents and we went to a farmers market/swap meet to get funnel cake and I think it was called green dragon. That wouldn't happen to be the same place? Would be really random.

Jeff

Jeff,

The farmersís market I have my small pizza stand at is Rootís Country Market & Auction, Inc. http://www.rootsmarket.com/ My small pizza stand can be seen at the market link http://www.rootsmarket.com/standholders.asp  , if you scrool down.  It is called Normaís Pizza.  Rootís Market is close to Lititz, Pa.  My husband and I used to have a Caramel Popcorn stand at Green Dragon Farmers Market in Ephrata, Pa. http://www.greendragonmarket.com/  and http://www.greendragonmarket.com/images/Dragonbrochure.pdf  I guess that is the place you visited and bought Funnel Cakes. Green Dragon is only open on Fridays. The people that own the funnel cake stand at Green Dragon Farmerís Market are the same people that owned the Funnel Cakes stand I used to own at Rootís Market at the Flea and Antique Market at Rootís.http://www.rootsoldmill.com/ and http://www.rootsoldmill.com/about.asp  Rootís Country Market has a regular Market and a flea and antique market at the old mill both open only on every Tuesday.  If you ever visit your wifeís parents again, I hope you can visit Rootís Market and visit my small pizza stand.  In my opinion Rootís is more of a farmerís market than Green Dragon, but both of them are big.  

I did have to laugh when you asked why I made pizza in a hardware store.  :-D I can understand why you thought I might be making pizza in a hardware store, because each time I take pictures, some of the pictures do include tools.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:31:25 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Peter,

I plan to try the classic Reinhart dough again and possibly the Reinhart Country dough, but donít want to use the TF you recommended for a technical Reinhart dough at reply 21 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127561.html#msg127561

Should I start another thread if I change the TF?  I donít like a pizza that thin, as I tried in my last experiment.  I might also change the amount of oil used in the formula, as John has tried.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Should I start another thread if I change the TF?  I donít like a pizza that thin, as I tried in my last experiment.  I might also change the amount of oil used in the formula, as

Norma,

I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread, given the number of changes you will be making. In a sense, you will be creating a new recipe. Also, since other members may like your version better, they won't have to wade through pages of posts in this thread to find it.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread, given the number of changes you will be making. In a sense, you will be creating a new recipe. Also, since other members may like your version better, they won't have to wade through pages of posts in this thread to find it.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me I should start a new thread since I am going to try making changes to the classic Reinhart dough and also the Reinhart Country dough.  I have no idea right now if anyone will be interested in the changes I make or if my results will be better.  I started a Reinhart Country Dough this morning and did only change the TF, but kept the rest of the formula the same as what you set-forth.  Should I start two separate threads, one for the Reinhart Country Dough and one for the Reinhart Classic dough?

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Should I start two separate threads, one for the Reinhart Country Dough and one for the Reinhart Classic dough?

Norma,

Since there are material differences in the two recipes, I think that it would be a good idea to use two threads, one for the Classic recipe and the other for the Country recipe.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
If anyone was following this thread, I have started a new thread for a modified Reinhartís Country Dough at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13320.0.html

When I try a modified Reinhartís Classic dough, I also will post a link.

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

As I understand it the benefit of stretch-and-fold is slow, gentle gluten development so riddle me this:  what if after a few minutes of mixing in my new(!) Bosch I let it sit in the bowl for 5 minutes before giving it a 5 second pulse on low?  Repeat 3 times at 5 minute intervals and voila, I have a dough ball that should be quite similar.  I can't imagine that 5 seconds would be overdoing it and if the result seems underdeveloped I could add a pulse or up the time to 10 seconds.

Dave

I tried this last night and the dough was beautifully smooth and strong.

4 min @ speed 1
5 min rest
30 seconds @ speed 2
5 min rest
5 seconds @ speed 1 followed by 5 min rest
2 more 5 second pulses @ 5 min intervals

It was stickier than I hoped but we'll see what happens on Sunday with the addition of a little bench flour.  I had issues with the mixer as described in the prep equipment forum.  I didn't put this in Norma's new thread since it's more about technique as discussed here than it is about her recipe adventures. 

I've got a good feeling about this and will report the results.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:36:08 PM by dmaxdmax »
Always make new mistakes.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I tried this last night and the dough was beautifully smooth and strong.

4 min @ speed 1
5 min rest
30 seconds @ speed 2
5 min rest
5 seconds @ speed 1 followed by 5 min rest
2 more 5 second pulses @ 5 min intervals

It was stickier than I hoped but we'll see what happens on Sunday with the addition of a little bench flour.  I had issues with the mixer as described in the prep equipment forum.  I didn't put this in Norma's new thread since it's more about technique as discussed here than it is about her recipe adventures. 

I've got a good feeling about this and will report the results.

Dave

Dave,

In my opinion if you think the dough is too sticky you can take the dough out of the refrigerator and reball or do a couple of stretch and folds before Sunday or either at least about 5 hrs. before the bake on Sunday.  That should make your dough less sticky.  By doing the reball or stretch and fold each time the dough seems to become less sticky and it also gives the dough some more strength.  The dough should be okay if you then put it back into the refrigerator.  You donít want to do too many reballs or stretch and folds though.  If you decide to do this, just watch how the dough behaves. This is just a suggestion if you think the dough is too sticky.  John (fazzari) also does reball about 5 to 10 hours before the bake as he posted at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg131465.html#msg131465

It is up to you what you decide if you want to try my suggestion or wait and see if you have to use bench flour, before the bake.

Sorry to hear about your mixer problems.  I am sure you will get them straightened out, with more practice.  You are lucky to have a Bosch. 

I am glad you have a good feeling about your dough.  :) I will be anxious to see how it turns out.

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

After following the proceedure described above I waited 3 days and reballed 2 hours prior to baking.  I needed some but not too much bench flour both to reball and stretch.  The results were nothing short of great!  I was able to lift and stretch it which I've never even tried with a pure stretch and fold.  (tossing was out of the question but I think anyone with the skills could.  I can't toss anything)

It was very strong with really good oven spring.  I'd like a little more poof in the rim but that's mostly a function of my shaping prowess.  I'll get there.

I think I've got my basic technique figured out, now it's time to focus on maximizing flavor.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
After following the proceedure described above I waited 3 days and reballed 2 hours prior to baking.  I needed some but not too much bench flour both to reball and stretch.  The results were nothing short of great!  I was able to lift and stretch it which I've never even tried with a pure stretch and fold.  (tossing was out of the question but I think anyone with the skills could.  I can't toss anything)

It was very strong with really good oven spring.  I'd like a little more poof in the rim but that's mostly a function of my shaping prowess.  I'll get there.

I think I've got my basic technique figured out, now it's time to focus on maximizing flavor.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dave

Dave,

Glad to hear you had great results!  ;D Good to hear you were able to lift and stretch the dough. With each new experiment you do, the more you will learn about dough.  You are right, now it is on to getting the best flavor in the crust. I am also still learning about handling doughs, oven spring and maximizing flavors of the crust.  It all is a never ending process.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

Norma, I have not made the Peter Reinhart Country Pizza Dough yet but plan too.  I gotta tell you that every pizza you make looks perfect.  You are inspiring me to make this one.   Thanks for sharing all the photos, recipes and stories behind your pizzas.

Hats off to the chef!  :chef:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, I have not made the Peter Reinhart Country Pizza Dough yet but plan too.  I gotta tell you that every pizza you make looks perfect.  You are inspiring me to make this one.   Thanks for sharing all the photos, recipes and stories behind your pizzas.

Hats off to the chef!  :chef:

James,

Thanks for your kind words. Both of these doughs are good.  If want to work more with these doughs, but I havenít had the time lately.  If you want to try one of these formulas or one on my modified thread, it would be interesting to see what using agave or maple syrup would do to these doughs.  Since you are experimenting with those two ingredients, you probably would be the first person to experiment with them in Reinhartís dough.

Best of luck if you decide to try any of the Reinhart doughs!  :)

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

James,

Thanks for your kind words. Both of these doughs are good.  If want to work more with these doughs, but I havenít had the time lately.  If you want to try one of these formulas or one on my modified thread, it would be interesting to see what using agave or maple syrup would do to these doughs.  Since you are experimenting with those two ingredients, you probably would be the first person to experiment with them in Reinhartís dough.

Best of luck if you decide to try any of the Reinhart doughs!  :)

Norma

Norma, you have a very good idea here.  I think I'll try the Reinhart doughs and use my agave and maple syrup for these per your suggestion.  Would be interesting how they turn out.  I have three more dough balls left from my initial agave experiment so I'll wait until I use those all up but when I make more dough I'd give the Reinhart a try with the agave and maple syrup.   I'll have to report on it.

Thanks

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, you have a very good idea here.  I think I'll try the Reinhart doughs and use my agave and maple syrup for these per your suggestion.  Would be interesting how they turn out.  I have three more dough balls left from my initial agave experiment so I'll wait until I use those all up but when I make more dough I'd give the Reinhart a try with the agave and maple syrup.   I'll have to report on it.

Thanks

James,

I will be watching if you decide to use the maple syrup or agave in any of the Reinhart doughs.  I went to our local Green Store today and they had agave.  It was 4.50 for a small container, so I passed, but really thought about purchasing it, to find out how it tasted in the finished crust.

Best of luck to you if you try the maple syrup or agave in the Reinhart doughs.  :) I think you would like the Reinhart doughs.  Steve and I both want to do more experiments on them.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

James,

I will be watching if you decide to use the maple syrup or agave in any of the Reinhart doughs.  I went to our local Green Store today and they had agave.  It was 4.50 for a small container, so I passed, but really thought about purchasing it, to find out how it tasted in the finished crust.

Best of luck to you if you try the maple syrup or agave in the Reinhart doughs.  :) I think you would like the Reinhart doughs.  Steve and I both want to do more experiments on them.

Norma

Norma, yep, I think when I do the Reinhart I am going to do maple syrup. Check my updated agave discussion, I did post pics of a pie I did today and my comments on it.  Let me just say that I think maple syrup in dough taste better than agave.  Agave is okay but maple syrup is better.  I have yet to do honey but the Reinhart will be maple syrup.

Too bad the agave was so much for a small container.  Mine was 2 bucks for a decent sized one but that was at TJ Max a discount clothing store which carries some kitchen supplies and wares.  This is why it was so cheap.  I would have have bought it otherwise.  The smell of this agave reminds me of a watered down smell of terriyaki sauce. I smell a similarity but it's not as strong.  I know, I know it's not even close to being the same stuff but it has that vibe but weaker when it comes to smell but not taste of course.

So I say if you can find agave cheap like I did buy it and experiment but it's not worth the full price.  Funny how in Puerto Vallarta Mexico I saw the agave plant and I never thought I'd ever use the stuff.  I mean I don't drink alcohol so I don't drink tequila so I thought there would be no use of the agave for me but little did I know a few years later I'd make pizza with it.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
James,

Glad to hear you when you decided to try the one of the Reinhart doughs, you will use maple syrup.  I did see you pictures and pie you made with the agave.  I do go to TJ Max a couple of times and year and might look for agave when I go there again. Agave would be interesting to try in one of the Reinhart doughs.  I never smelled agave, so your description of how it smells is interesting. 

I also posted on Johnís thread about Reinhartís NY style dough I tried and that was good too, in my opinion.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

James,

Glad to hear you when you decided to try the one of the Reinhart doughs, you will use maple syrup.  I did see you pictures and pie you made with the agave.  I do go to TJ Max a couple of times and year and might look for agave when I go there again. Agave would be interesting to try in one of the Reinhart doughs.  I never smelled agave, so your description of how it smells is interesting. 

I also posted on Johnís thread about Reinhartís NY style dough I tried and that was good too, in my opinion.

Norma

Oh yeah next time you go to TJ Max check out the agave if they have it.  TJ Maxx is hit and miss for stuff because they get close out stuff from stores going out of business or from suppliers so the stuff they have is hit and miss but if you see the agave it should be a pretty good price like mine and grab it.  Should you make pizza with agave I would love to hear your feelings on the outcome of pizza dough with agave.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Oh yeah next time you go to TJ Max check out the agave if they have it.  TJ Maxx is hit and miss for stuff because they get close out stuff from stores going out of business or from suppliers so the stuff they have is hit and miss but if you see the agave it should be a pretty good price like mine and grab it.  Should you make pizza with agave I would love to hear your feelings on the outcome of pizza dough with agave.

James,

If I find agave at a cheaper price, I will buy some and try it out in pizza dough.  I saw agave at our local supermarket the other day and it was over 5.00.  I am not going to pay that amount just to try it.  Maybe I will be lucky like you and find cheaper agave.

Norma

pizzapan