Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 200081 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2180 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:08 PM »

I am going to try maybe using oil spray next time. The pans are pretty slick to the touch on their own, so I think the brushing may be a little much. The dough formula you worked out for me was perfect, though. It's also been kinda cold here lately, so even with a cold ferment and pan proof, I think it may even be more airy with a warmer ambient temperature. All in all, a great style and something I'm looking forward to doing again. I also wonder how mozzarella around the edge of the pan would do. Next time!

MR,

I think using a oil spray would work okay for you pan.  If you want to proof you dough a little more, and a little faster, you might try putting the pan in the oven with the light on, if you oven doesn't get too hot with the oven light on.  I have done the oven thing at home to make the dough proof faster.

I tried mozzarella in this thread around the edges and also blends of cheeses.  They all seemed to work okay as long as the cheese is right up to the edges of the pan.  You can play around with different cheeses if you like.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2181 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
I tried using Butter Flavored Crisco for greasing the steel pans yesterday.  Liked the results. 

Norma

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #2182 on: March 25, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
I tried using Butter Flavored Crisco for greasing the steel pans yesterday.  Liked the results. 

Norma

Looks beautiful! When I first started doing bar pizzas I used Butter Flavor Crisco. Made the entire joint smell like a movie theater, lol. Gave that up real quick. Assuming you have better ventilation at the market. ;)
°Hasta la pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2183 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »
Looks beautiful! When I first started doing bar pizzas I used Butter Flavor Crisco. Made the entire joint smell like a movie theater, lol. Gave that up real quick. Assuming you have better ventilation at the market. ;)

Thanks Adam!  Lol, that is interesting why you gave up using Butter Flavored Crisco for you bar style pizzas.  At market there is ventilation.  You might be surprised how much most people like that buttery smell.  The cheese I use for both the Detroit style and Boardwalk style does give off that buttery smell too.  :-D

Norma

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #2184 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
Hahahha. Yeah, this was at the restaurant I do my pop-up at. It has ventilation, but the aroma was still powerful. The owners/staff they liked it, but it didn't jibe with the place's regular vibe.
°Hasta la pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2185 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Hahahha. Yeah, this was at the restaurant I do my pop-up at. It has ventilation, but the aroma was still powerful. The owners/staff they liked it, but it didn't jibe with the place's regular vibe.

Adam,

I can imagine how powerful the aroma was where you do your pop-ups.  At market there are so many smells from different food vendors.  That is one thing about market being so big that each way you walk you smell all kinds of smells.  When my late husband and I used to make caramel popcorn (fresh in those copper kettles) customers would say they could smell it way out in all of the parking lots. 

Market really doesn't have any special smell.

Norma

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #2186 on: March 29, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
If anyone is interested, part of this video tells about Buddy's Detroit style pizzas, besides other foods that make Detroit special.  In the video it it says that Buddy's pizza is baked at 600 degrees F for about 12 minutes.  It also shows that a Buddy's dough is pressed into the steel pans differently than I do.   A worker at Buddy's also tells where they purchase their cheese for their Detroit style pizzas.  I don't think I have ever heard of where Buddy's purchases their cheese before."

FYI, the guy who mentioned "Pinconning Cheese" on the video is not with Buddy's, he is with M-Brew in Ferndale, MI (suburb of Detroit) who feature Michigan made products. Pinconning cheese is a style of Colby Cheese (yellow in color) produced by the William's Cheese Company in Pinconning, MI (just north of Bay City). When I lived in the Detroit area I enjoyed Buddy's Pizza often, it is very much worth trying when you are in the area. Jim

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2187 on: March 29, 2015, 10:28:24 AM »

FYI, the guy who mentioned "Pinconning Cheese" on the video is not with Buddy's, he is with M-Brew in Ferndale, MI (suburb of Detroit) who feature Michigan made products. Pinconning cheese is a style of Colby Cheese (yellow in color) produced by the William's Cheese Company in Pinconning, MI (just north of Bay City). Jim

Jim,

Thanks for clearing up about the Pinconning cheese, and the guy who mentioned it was not from Buddy's.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2188 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
This is just a few photos of a veggie Detroit style pizza from Tuesday.  The bottom crust browns seems to brown a little differently with Buttered Flavor Crisco.  Does anyone else using Buttered Flavor Crisco have the same bottom crust browning, or do they think it might be the different temperatures I used?

Norma

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2189 on: April 03, 2015, 03:42:22 AM »
Norma, I used butter flavored crisco last week, and I would say that the bottom On mine does look similar to yours.  500deg oven, pan on a stone, 9 minutes.  I almost feel like it could go longer though.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2190 on: April 03, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »

Norma

Is that the first time you tried it??? I didn't even know there was another option.  :-D
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jackitup

« Reply #2191 on: April 03, 2015, 04:45:39 AM »
Is that the first time you tried it??? I didn't even know there was another option.  :-D

Lard, I haven't tried the BFC either, like the lard too much. Bacon grease was okay once too, have to try it again

jon
ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2192 on: April 03, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »

Craig,

I only have been trying the Buttered Flavored Crisco for two weeks.  I was using MFB before.  http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/ProductDetail.do?productUpc=2700073651  Since I was sent a 50 lb. sample, and it worked well, I figured out why not use it.  I still have a lot of the MFB left.  >:D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2193 on: April 03, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
Lard, I haven't tried the BFC either, like the lard too much. Bacon grease was okay once too, have to try it again

jon

Jon,

I never thought of trying lard before.  I might try lard because I do have a container at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2194 on: April 03, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
Norma, I used butter flavored crisco last week, and I would say that the bottom On mine does look similar to yours.  500deg oven, pan on a stone, 9 minutes.  I almost feel like it could go longer though.

Tim,

Thanks for telling me you used Buttered Flavored Crisco last week.  I agree your bottom crust does look similar to mine.  Wow, your DS was done a lot faster than mine are.   8)  Did you use less dough?

Norma

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2195 on: April 03, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »
 My TF was .128, I let it rise for two hours total before the bake, an hour and 40 on the countertop then 20 on the warm cooktop while the oven was warming up.  My pan is not so non stick so I was fairly liberal with the crisco.  I like the results, light crunch, golden brown and delicious!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:56:32 PM by gixxer »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2196 on: April 03, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
My TF was .128, I let it rise for two hours total before the bake, an hour and 40 on the countertop then 20 on the warm cooktop while the oven was warming up.  My pan is not so non stick so I was fairly liberal with the crisco.  I like the results, light crunch, golden brown and delicious!

Tim,

Thanks for your added explanations! 

Norma

pizzapan