Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 164377 times)

Offline JD

Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1300 on: March 30, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
I have JD. Tremendous oven spring would be an understatement! LOL
I'll try to post a pic later tonight of that pie.

Great, thanks Johnny. Did you lower the hydration at all? Metal or wood peel?

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1301 on: April 02, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
I'm going to attempt this style of pizza in the coming weeks but had a question about the double hydration process.

Is it possible when mixing by hand? I know the water must be added slowly in the second stage. However, I don't currently have a mixer.

I understand technique is everything for this pizza; building strength in a high hydration dough. Just curious if I can achieve that when mixing by hand.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1302 on: April 02, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

Is it possible when mixing by hand? I know the water must be added slowly in the second stage. However, I don't currently have a mixer.

I understand technique is everything for this pizza; building strength in a high hydration dough. Just curious if I can achieve that when mixing by hand.

Yes - 100% achievable by hand mixing, and I'm sure you'll nail it. I have no mixer and have hand mixed all my doughs for the last 10 years.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1303 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »
Great, thanks Johnny. Did you lower the hydration at all? Metal or wood peel?

Hydration was "normal" at 75% using 10% protein ap flour. Stainless steel peel, dusted with a mix of flour & semolina.

Reply #12 - pics: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24696.0
Il miglior fabbro

Offline VarunS

« Reply #1304 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
hotsawce

I have tried par baking this style before saucing. Have tried it in many different ways. First is parbake then sauce then cheese. Second is parbake then sauce and cheese. Third is no parbake directly sauce and then cheese.

The rise is significantly higher without putting sauce initially. Just some seed oil and a 3 minute par bake. Later sauce and cheese. Really good crumb structure. When I put sauce to start rise is quite poor for me viz a viz the par bake method. I tend to put 600 gms of sauce for a 1300gm dough. In professional videos of al taglio I have never seen them parbake always sauce and cheese for last few mins. I dont have access to a strong manitoba type flour and could be one of the reasons I don't get the same results when I dont parbake. In pizza romana dough is put on a wooden peel and slid into oven direct on the hearth.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1305 on: April 06, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
I'm confused are you cooking in a pan or directly on the floor of the oven?

hotsawce

I have tried par baking this style before saucing. Have tried it in many different ways. First is parbake then sauce then cheese. Second is parbake then sauce and cheese. Third is no parbake directly sauce and then cheese.

The rise is significantly higher without putting sauce initially. Just some seed oil and a 3 minute par bake. Later sauce and cheese. Really good crumb structure. When I put sauce to start rise is quite poor for me viz a viz the par bake method. I tend to put 600 gms of sauce for a 1300gm dough. In professional videos of al taglio I have never seen them parbake always sauce and cheese for last few mins. I dont have access to a strong manitoba type flour and could be one of the reasons I don't get the same results when I dont parbake. In pizza romana dough is put on a wooden peel and slid into oven direct on the hearth.

Offline woozy

« Reply #1306 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
I just wanted to say (I'm a lurker, still at the listen, don't talk, stage of pizza art) that, "The Layover", on the Travel Channel, has an Italian segment where Tony goes to Pizzarium. NETFLIX.

Bonci is fun to watch, and WOW, the guy is crazy! The pizza looks amazing.

Offline VarunS

« Reply #1307 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:57 AM »
hotsawce in the pan

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1308 on: April 17, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
First attempt at a pizzarium style pizza in a while. Also using a new pan.

80% hydration. Mostly all-trumps unbleached, unbromated with a touch of rye and khorasan. Flavor of the pizza was awesome, but the crumb is not where I want it to be; not as open and airy. Unsure if it's inadequate gluten development (mixed by hand) or the harder flours, or if all trumps just bakes up a little denser. Baked at 500; briefly par baked on a baking stone to in an attempt to get some extra oven spring.

All suggestions and comments welcome  :)

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1309 on: April 18, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
That looks nice, similar looking crumb to mine when I used my tartine bread dough @ 75%. I too mix all by hand. Do you let the dough proof at all in the pan, or direct bake?

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1310 on: April 20, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what brand oven Pizzarium uses? Electric or gas?

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1311 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what brand oven Pizzarium uses? Electric or gas?
castelli electric i believe

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1312 on: May 08, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
It proofed in the pan briefly

That looks nice, similar looking crumb to mine when I used my tartine bread dough @ 75%. I too mix all by hand. Do you let the dough proof at all in the pan, or direct bake?