Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 43692 times)

Offline PizzaBinge

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
s_b, thank you for that info. I already finished seasoning the pan, so I'll run a few dough balls thru it and see what happens. Maybe if I do a pre-bake before topping... we'll see.

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
I made my first 12x17 tray using the pan from Red Hill General Store. The pan performed perfectly and the pizza turned out great. The picture of the pan below is after 7 hours of seasoning and before seeing its first dough. It has a nice, thick layer that has started turning black after the first use. Time to order more pans and have some fun!

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Question..... I've been putting my pan to use with s_b's recipe; using 2oz of oil. The last pizza I did came out a little on the greasy side. Could this be due to the pan becoming very well seasoned and requiring less oil, or could it be because the dough did most of its rising outside of the oiled pan, as I had several doughs proofing at the same time?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
I don't know, but it looks pretty tasty.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Vinkelman

« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2012, 03:04:45 AM »
Thank you Mr. steel_baker for the video and everyone else who worked on perfecting this fantastic pizza recipe. I followed it to the best of my ability minus the cheese, but with addition of some Italian herbs. I can only get shredded mozzarella here in Taiwan. Still, the pizza came out incredibly tasty. My Taiwanese friends were fully impressed. I shared the video with them. Thank you!!!  ;D

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Thanks for the props everyone. And Pizzabinge, your VP Style pizza looks great in the pics. Looks pretty much spot on. ;D

Regarding your question on oil, the answer is yes. Once a pan is fully seasoned, you can cut back on the oil. Last tray I made a few weekends ago I started using only 1oz and it still came out great.

Keep baking!!!!

s_b

:chef:
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
This is too good of a thread to let idle for too long, so allow me two things...

(1) I've tried doing white pizza; adding some herbs, garlic, etc., but no matter what I do it comes out tasting like breadsticks (really good breadsticks). Anyone have any ideas to direct the taste away from breadstick-y to white pizza, or is it just the nature of the beast with this style of pizza?

(2) Pizza L'Oven (similiar to Victiry Pig & Pizza Perfect, and in the same region) posted this picture on their Facebook page today. They call it pagach pizza: 2 cheeses, mashed potatos, garlic & chives. A little on the heart attack side of things, but sounds good to me.

Edit: I recently started a pizza review blog (www.KeystonePizzaCritic.com). If anyone would like to do some guest reviews of pizza shops in PA let me know  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:34:13 AM by PizzaBinge »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
Pizzabinge, add broccoli to your white pizza. That's how VP serves theirs. Broccoli, chopped tomatoes, or mushrooms all work very well on a nice garlicky, herby white pizza. When I do mine, I thaw a box of frozen chopped broccoli, warm it through in a pan of EVOO & minced or chopped garlic, then spread it on the dough after salting and before topping with cheese. It is absolutely wonderful.

s_b  :chef:

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »
Pizzabinge, add broccoli to your white pizza. That's how VP serves theirs. Broccoli, chopped tomatoes, or mushrooms all work very well on a nice garlicky, herby white pizza. When I do mine, I thaw a box of frozen chopped broccoli, warm it through in a pan of EVOO & minced or chopped garlic, then spread it on the dough after salting and before topping with cheese. It is absolutely wonderful.

s_b  :chef:

s_b, that sounds good and looks even better, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to doing another tray of white.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Cold rainy day with snow showers in the afternoon. Gray, cloudy typical Pittsburgh winter day. So I made a tray of VP Style pizza. I substituted high temp Safflower Oil (smoke point 450F) for peanut oil. It turned out great with no discernible difference in flavor.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
Looks great!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
This is too good of a thread to let idle for too long, so allow me two things...

(1) I've tried doing white pizza; adding some herbs, garlic, etc., but no matter what I do it comes out tasting like breadsticks (really good breadsticks). Anyone have any ideas to direct the taste away from breadstick-y to white pizza, or is it just the nature of the beast with this style of pizza?

(2) Pizza L'Oven (similiar to Victiry Pig & Pizza Perfect, and in the same region) posted this picture on their Facebook page today. They call it pagach pizza: 2 cheeses, mashed potatos, garlic & chives. A little on the heart attack side of things, but sounds good to me.

Edit: I recently started a pizza review blog (www.KeystonePizzaCritic.com). If anyone would like to do some guest reviews of pizza shops in PA let me know  ;D
I think I made it like about a few days after Thanksgiving...
I once had a Stoufers doctored up "pizza" bread that looked a lot like that.
Made it like about a week after Thanksgiving...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:18:36 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Well steel_baker I finally got around to trying this since on your video you never said "Don't try this at home". I have a beat up steel pan that is partially seasoned. It is the odd job pan. I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks to Peter's work in reply 63 it was no problem to adjusting your recipe for my 8 x 12 pan. Using what was in the house meant olive oil for the pan. Also my cheese mix was mozzarella/provolone.
Overall I was very pleased with the results. I will get some peanut oil and next time I'll have cheddar cheese on hand. Happily the pizza did not stick to this pan. I was worried about that. I think I could cut down on the oil. I want to try a white pizza as well with your dough. Thanks for your efforts.
Marty

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
Cool, I love seeing people change and adapt the recipe for their own needs. I do it as well. I've used this dough to make focaccia several times now. I just pump up the water to a 75% hydration and go through the dough mixing and rising in the pan. I also add flavorings to the dough mix like onion powder & garlic powder. I then poke in the dimples, top with coarse salt, fresh herbs, drizzle some olive oil on top and bake.

The focaccia turns out beautifully every time.

Offline redox

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
Steel Baker, thanks for all the work you've put into your epic attempt to clone this pizza. It looks delicious!
I read somewhere in this thread that these blue steel pans are hard to find now. Would these pre-seasoned pans
from Detroit Style Pizza Co. do the job? The 8x10-inch pan would suit me just fine.
http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/
I hope it'll work since I impulsively just ordered one.
I will be trying your recipe as soon as the pan arrives.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
Steel Baker, thanks for all the work you've put into your epic attempt to clone this pizza. It looks delicious!
I read somewhere in this thread that these blue steel pans are hard to find now. Would these pre-seasoned pans
from Detroit Style Pizza Co. do the job? The 8x10-inch pan would suit me just fine.
http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/
I hope it'll work since I impulsively just ordered one.
I will be trying your recipe as soon as the pan arrives.

Yes, they will absolutely do the job.

Enjoy!

Offline redox

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
I had my first Sicilian-style pizza last night from a local pizza chain that just started offering Sicilian pizza. A 9x9-inch was just enough for the two of us. Almost couldn't eat the side order of Buffalo wings that I ordered in case the pizza wasn't enough to eat. I really love the taste and texture of the dough. Thanks again.

Offline redox

« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
Ok, here's my first try at Victory Pig style pizza. Thanks to steel_baker for all his work and dedication and to Pete-zza for making it unnecessary for me to do the calculations to bake it in my 8x10 inch pan. I think the seasoning may have been put on too thick on the pan, some of it is flaking off. But anyhoo, here are three pix.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Looks great!

Offline redox

« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
I'll also have you know that I used the special "only for guests" paper plates, too.  :)