Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 43979 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
Update: I found Contadina Crushed tomatoes in 28 oz cans at Amazon.com for $3.96 ea. Shipping for 3 cans is $4.99 so it's not too bad. Contadina is what I was using back east. I was buying them by the case at Costco. I ordered 3 cans which is enough for 9 trays so I should be able to get the flavor back to where I need it to be.

Funny how you take the little things for granted like being able to just go to the grocery store and buy a can of crushed tomatoes with the flavor you need. Never, ever thought that different canned tomatoes would be an issue.
I think 5 and a quarter a can for Contadina is crazy. Can't you get your local grocer to carry some....it's a very common brand Steel.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
I think 5 and a quarter a can for Contadina is crazy. Can't you get your local grocer to carry some....it's a very common brand Steel.

Contadina is a common brand in the east and in larger city regions in the west. Not so much in the rural areas of the mountain west & southwest. I live on the western slope of Colorado in a town of 18,000 people. The largest city around (Albuquerque) is 200 miles away. The brands carried locally are primarily small label organics and a few larger brands such as Cento (I've tried Cento- not the flavor I need). The culture here demands loyalty to local farmers & brands, very much farm to table (which I support). Many of the good brands (like Furmano's) are only distributed on the east coast. It is difficult if not impossible to get local grocers to carry a product that might sell a handful of cans a year (to me), when they currently sell volumes of the current brands. I use about (12) 28 oz cans a year.

In addition, it is actually far cheaper for me to buy them on line & pay the shipping than it is to drive the 90 mile round trip down to the next largest town in the area to try to buy Contadina (if they even carry the brand). Before moving here, I lived in Pittsburgh where I could get virtually any brand I wanted locally. The cost of gas these days has shifted much of the economics of living in a small town and must be considered in virtually every purchase decision made these days. For me to pay what amounts to an additional $24/ yr to bake approximately 36 trays of pizza is not a big issue. That's just the price I pay to live where I do.

steel_baker  :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »
I hear ya Steel. Ever try or see around there the Muir Glenn product? I think Furmano's was probably one of the worst I've had, well, besides the tin can tasting "regular" Cento's.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
Actually Muir Glen is a problem. I used them for the last tray I made. Too acidic, needed some doctoring. Also, too chunky to spread on the dough. It needs to be thinned to spread on a soft, sticky yeast dough without damaging it.

Offline Chet

« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
 HI Steel Baker

Haven;t been on the forums in awile, are you still using Molasses as the sweetener, and are you still at 1 % oil

Chet

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Hi Chet,

Well, since I live at high altitude now (6,500'), I'm completely revamping my dough recipe. I've had to increase water & salt, cut back yeast by about 40%, and have cut out sugar of any kind altogether. The sugar makes the dough too soft here and it won't crisp up. Prior to moving here, I had cut back on molasses to firm up the crust some more. Where you live, I would still consider using a small amount of molasses for browning & flavor.

;D

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #226 on: September 01, 2013, 12:15:21 PM »
Following up with this high altitude adjustment effort, I made a tray of pizza last night and have made real progress. I used the Contadina crushed tomatoes I bought from Amazon for the sauce & the sauce is finally back where it needs to be. I have adjusted my dough recipe significantly. I have increased the water by 5%, decreased yeast by 50%, and increased salt by 50%. In doing this, I've been able to slow down the rise so that the dough takes 5-6 hours to fill the pan with the rise instead of the 45 minutes it took when I was using my original low altitude recipe. The results were a tray that was firmly intact and slid out the pan with ease, as it should instead of falling apart like it was when I first moved here.

Now my only remaining issue is the oven in our rental condo. I need to get more bottom browning than I'm currently getting. There needs to be more crisp to it. The crumb has come together but I'm getting a slight gummy layer on top under the toppings. That was not an issue with my previous oven. The cheese is starting to burn before I can get the necessary browning on the bottom and finish baking the crust to eliminate the gummy layer. My guests never noticed and loved the pizza, and the flavor was back where it should be, but I noticed that gummy layer and won't be satisfied until I've eliminated it.

I suppose I may never get the results I want with this rental condo oven but then in 15 months, our house will have been built, we'll be out of the rental, and I'll be back to using quality ovens. Maybe I should just wait until then.... but damn it! I want my VP pizza back!

Offline redox

« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
I suppose I may never get the results I want with this rental condo oven but then in 15 months, our house will have been built, we'll be out of the rental, and I'll be back to using quality ovens. Maybe I should just wait until then.... but damn it! I want my VP pizza back!
I hope you don't have to wait 15 months to enjoy your VP pizza the way you remember it. That would be cruel & unusual punishment, indeed.
I'm going to try your delicious original "lowland" version in my Blackstone oven sometime within the next few days. Everyone always enjoys it.

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

S_B,

Have you tried a par-bake before topping? Not ideal, but it might put you in a happy place until your house is ready.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
steel_baker,

Is you oven electric or gas?

Peter

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
S_B,

Have you tried a par-bake before topping? Not ideal, but it might put you in a happy place until your house is ready.

Thought about doing a parbake. I hate to do that though only because it's an aberration of the process and I'd prefer to find a solution without having to do that.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »
steel_baker,

Is you oven electric or gas?

Peter

Hi Peter,

It's gas. I was baking in a Wolf Dual Fuel range with electric oven back east at lower altitudes. The thought even crossed my mind to look for a used tabletop electric oven just to bake pizza here. Small isolated town here though so I'm not likely to find one.

S_B

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
I hope you don't have to wait 15 months to enjoy your VP pizza the way you remember it. That would be cruel & unusual punishment, indeed.
I'm going to try your delicious original "lowland" version in my Blackstone oven sometime within the next few days. Everyone always enjoys it.

:drool:

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
Trying your recipe this evening. Maybe some day I will make it east to try a Victory Pig Pizza.

Where are around in western Pa? J&S is my favorite thick style around here. 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
Trying your recipe this evening. Maybe some day I will make it east to try a Victory Pig Pizza.

Where are around in western Pa? J&S is my favorite thick style around here.

Enjoy! I was in the north hills suburbs of Pittsburgh for 22 years, most recently in Cranberry Township. I recently moved to Durango, CO with retirement. I grew up & spent the first 37 years of life in northeastern PA (Kingston).

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
A cut of pizza that I had leftover from last evening. I  like to reheat it in a frying pan on the stovetop using very low heat. It heats it through from the bottom & melts the cheese. It also crisps it up if it is the least bit soft.

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
Just wanted to give a huge thank you to steel_baker, this recipe and the video were massively helpful.  My first attempt at a Sicilian pie was mediocre at best and this one came out fantastic.  No wonder this is one of your favorites after all your travels - truly delicious.  Thanks again, cheers!

Note for any of the beginners out there, I hand-kneaded the dough and hand chopped the onions.  No tools required!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:45:34 PM by pwc123 »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
Looks great. Glad it worked out for you. It's actually pretty easy to make once you nail the technique. This pizza has such great onion & tomato flavor and with the fried crust, it's just mouth watering.

Enjoy!

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
Yep, you did all the hard work. I'm thankful that you decided to share it with the rest of us!

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2014, 11:45:07 PM »
A cut of pizza that I had leftover from last evening. I  like to reheat it in a frying pan on the stovetop using very low heat. It heats it through from the bottom & melts the cheese. It also crisps it up if it is the least bit soft.

Hey s_b, I haven't been on here in a little while, I was wondering who the victor was, you or the altitude. By the looks of that cut I'd definitely say that it is you! Were you able to get it back to how it was 100%?

James

pizzapan