Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 48647 times)

Offline PizzaBinge

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
Just wanted to give a huge thank you to steel_baker, this recipe and the video were massively helpful.  My first attempt at a Sicilian pie was mediocre at best and this one came out fantastic.  No wonder this is one of your favorites after all your travels - truly delicious.  Thanks again, cheers!

Note for any of the beginners out there, I hand-kneaded the dough and hand chopped the onions.  No tools required!

Hey pwc123, that's a good looking product you have there! What kind of pan are you using?

James

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
Hey pwc123, that's a good looking product you have there! What kind of pan are you using?

James

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VH70WM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

As steel_baker mentioned, this pan will do the trick but I'd recommend getting a deeper one if you're going to be making this style regularly. Then you don't have to worry about oil overflow or anything at all.

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
I generally prefer this style of pizza with onions and w/o toppings, but I've been experimenting lately (and feeding my coworkers), and here are a few pics:

Brussel sprout and bacon, ham and cheese (cheddar and American), BBQ chicken, chicken-bacon-ranch, pepperoni, sloppy joe, and plain cheese
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by PizzaBinge »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
Hey s_b, I haven't been on here in a little while, I was wondering who the victor was, you or the altitude. By the looks of that cut I'd definitely say that it is you! Were you able to get it back to how it was 100%?

James

Actually, at this point... I won. I've found now that the combination of high altitude & junky rental condo oven, I have to bake the tray with sauce & no cheese for 12-13 minutes at the bottom rack position, then pull it, top with cheese & finish for another 3-5 minutes. This gives me the nice browned crispy crust I'm looking for without burning the cheese. I'm hoping that once we get our house built and have a quality oven again, I won't need to pre-bake at all. I have found so far that the high altitude here makes it tough to really brown & crisp up baked goods so I may still end up having to pre-bake.... but I hope not.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
I generally prefer this style of pizza with onions and w/o toppings, but I've been experimenting lately (and feeding my coworkers), and here are a few pics:

Brussel sprout and bacon, ham and cheese (cheddar and American), BBQ chicken, chicken-bacon-ranch, pepperoni, sloppy joe, and plain cheese

Those trays all look great. Once you know how to make this crust, you can do anything with it. I've made focaccia bread with it before. I just increased the hydration to about 75%, used more oil in the dough, then dimple the top and top it with sea salt, rosemary, & olive oil. Had it with some italian entrees & received rave reviews.

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
Pictures are of my third try with a Victory Pig Style Pizza...Going to try an increase in thickness (33 %) thinking NEPA (North East Pa) Scranton squares are about that much more higher.  Worked the calculations  today and hope I don't overflow my pan.

Interested in a cold fermentation process and opinions of benefit for Victory Pig Style Crust..

I should have noted that I used two different blends of cheeses on this pizza as I'm trying to nail down some unique flavors I enjoy from Scranton Pizza Places
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:29:16 PM by stmichael911 »

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
Pictures are of my third try with a Victory Pig Style Pizza...Going to try an increase in thickness (33 %) thinking NEPA (North East Pa) Scranton squares are about that much more higher.  Worked the calculations  today and hope I don't overflow my pan.

Interested in a cold fermentation process and opinions of benefit for Victory Pig Style Crust..

I should have noted that I used two different blends of cheeses on this pizza as I'm trying to nail down some unique flavors I enjoy from Scranton Pizza Places

I settled for a 10% increase from the original Thickness Factor and am pleased with it! :)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:35 AM »
I made this last night.  Was a bit concerned how slack the dough was, and how much oil was in the pan...  Had a bit of difficulty stretching it out, as it had a mind of its own.  At the proper time, finally got the pan full of dough.  Was not sure it would bounce in the oven.

Then the magic happened in the oven.  All ended just like the pictures above.  Good oven spring, incredible balance of simple ingredients.  Topped with sharp cheddar and motz.  Put more cheddar around edges to brown against the pan.  Used 7 11 and fine diced onion and just a bit of Italian Oregano.

Wife loved it and said it has to be part of my 3 pizza sampler that we prepare for new guests.

Offline pizza4442

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
The cheese is white cheddar. They slice it paper thin on a meat slicer & lay it on top of the crushed tomatoes. I use a 50/50 blend of mozz & vermont white cheddar (usually Cabot because it's easily available). I buy the white cheddar at Costco in a 2 lb block and shred it with the shredding disc on the food processor. Shreds the 2lb block in about 5 minutes. Because I do everything on a scale I just mix equal weights of mozz & white cheddar in a stainless steel bowl, then weigh it out into Gallon sized ziploc bags for storage.

Here are a few pics from my pizza baking sessions over the past 2 months:

This looks sooo good,  I can't wait to try this recipe. So many great reviews and pictures. Nice job! If you really want to replicate VP, the cheese is definitely, without any shadow of doubt Muenster cheese. I can tell you that with 100% certainty. If you've ever worked there, you may have had to run  to supermarket across the street to buy it on a busy night and the cheese has run out! Also, if you look closely at a slice, you can sometimes see the orange edge on the slices of cheese indicative of Muenster. I do know Pizza Perfect uses white cheddar in their version which is also delicious. Not sure about Pizza L'oven. Being that the owners of both were former employees of VP, I think the first thing they did to the recipe was change the cheese. 

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
This looks sooo good,  I can't wait to try this recipe. So many great reviews and pictures. Nice job! If you really want to replicate VP, the cheese is definitely, without any shadow of doubt Muenster cheese. I can tell you that with 100% certainty. If you've ever worked there, you may have had to run  to supermarket across the street to buy it on a busy night and the cheese has run out! Also, if you look closely at a slice, you can sometimes see the orange edge on the slices of cheese indicative of Muenster. I do know Pizza Perfect uses white cheddar in their version which is also delicious. Not sure about Pizza L'oven. Being that the owners of both were former employees of VP, I think the first thing they did to the recipe was change the cheese.

Hi Pizza4442,

I appreciate your input but I know for a fact that they use Wisconsin White Cheddar on their pizza. I know someone who has worked there for over 30 years and have also had conversations with the purveyor (http://www.genoafoods.com/) from whom they buy their cheese. This has been confirmed to me many times over the years.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM by steel_baker »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
Well it took 16 months but I have finally been able to make high quality VP style pizza again. In that 16 months, I had to use 3 different ovens and also had to tweak the dough recipe to accommodate an altitude of almost 7,000' above sea level. I found that at high altitude, the yeast works too fast. Too fast of a rise does not allow the dough time to develop the necessary structure to support the crust & the result is that when baked, the crust would fall apart taking it out of the pan..... nothing but a pile of crumbs, sauce, & cheese. The solution was to 1) increase water slightly, 2) decrease the amount of yeast slightly, & 3) increase salt slightly. This results in a slower rise giving the dough time to build the necessary structure.

I also had to learn another (third in 16 months) different oven. This time, a Kenmore Elite single wall oven. What I discovered is that based upon the size of the oven cavity, I had to rotate the pan halfway through the bake, otherwise, only half of the pan would bake properly. Because browning is difficult at this altitude, I also found that I need to pre-bake with sauce only, then top it with cheese for the last 5 minutes or so. This is because the bake time has increased from 10-12 mins to 16-18 mins. Topping with cheese up front only results in burning the cheese due to the longer baking time. Here are some pics of last nights bake:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
That crust looks killah Steel.....I am glad you hung in there and met the challenges....excellent pizza making dude!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
That crust looks killah Steel.....I am glad you hung in there and met the challenges....excellent pizza making dude!  :chef:

Thanks!  :drool:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
I tried this Victory Pig style for the first time tonight, and liked the new experience.
Its like a focaccia, but crispier, at least how mine turned out.
The pics may slightly hide the fact that I made it in a round aluminized steel pan (sorry, no rectangular ones in stock).  ::)

The crust was very crispy and light, the cheese slightly caramelized on the edges, interesting onion/tomato flavor. I think it might be good with some sausage too (but what isn't?).

Where do I pick up a Nash Blue Steel Pan?
Although I could just keep doing it circular, with a party cut...I like this particular pan.

thanks s_b!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
steel_baker and woodmakesitgood,

Both of your Victory Pig pies sure look good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »
steel_baker and woodmakesitgood,

Both of your Victory Pig pies sure look good.

Norma

Thanks Norma, the pics on this thread were making me hungry this morning!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
I tried this Victory Pig style for the first time tonight, and liked the new experience.
The pics may slightly hide the fact that I made it in a round aluminized steel pan (sorry, no rectangular ones in stock).  ::)

The crust was very crispy and light, the cheese slightly caramelized on the edges, interesting onion/tomato flavor. I think it might be good with some sausage too (but what isn't?).

Although I could just keep doing it circular, with a party cut...I like this particular pan.

thanks s_b!
Dayam.........you are good man. I can almost taste/feel the texture sensation in my mouth just looking at those pics.....wow.  8)

Thank you!  :chef:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
Dayam.........you are good man. I can almost taste/feel the texture sensation in my mouth just looking at those pics.....wow.  8)

Thank you!  :chef:

LOL, thanks man,
I think I've had some beginner's luck bakes, but I aint complaining.
The guidance from people here makes things pretty do-able...I got to watch a video tutorial!
You might have to make one of these yourself Bob.

Unfortunately, I just gave the rest to the folks, and now I'm out of pizza.   :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
LOL, thanks man,
I think I've had some beginner's luck bakes, but I aint complaining.
The guidance from people here makes things pretty do-able...I got to watch a video tutorial!
You might have to make one of these yourself Bob.

Unfortunately, I just gave the rest to the folks, and now I'm out of pizza.   :-D
I hear ya Wood......hate it when the `grown ups`invade one`s stash.   You keep on with the great pizzamaking you are doing pal.  :)

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

thanks s_b!

Great looking pizza! As far as blue steel pans, I bought mine at PA Products in Livonia, MI. (http://www.paprod.com/pans.html). I have heard that they no longer make them but their web site still lists them as being available. You may need to call them. When I bought mine, I had to call them & speak to somebody to actually place an order, I then had to send them a check before they would ship. They were only selling them by the dozen so that's what I ended up with. Gave the extras to family & friends who also bake this pizza.

Keep bakin'!