Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 42236 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
s_b,

I corrected Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13048.msg162256.html#msg162256 to reflect the correct amounts of crushed tomatoes and onion to use for a single pizza in an 8" x 10" pan. You might want to edit your earlier posts to note that a full can (28 ounces) of crushed tomatoes and a half-onion are for four pizzas using the 12" x 17" pan. Otherwise, people following your posts literally may fall into the same trap as I did, although hopefully they would catch the error during assembly of the pizza or they would have seen from your video that the amount of sauce is quite modest.

It is actually quite funny how I came to post Reply 70. I have worked so much and for so long with Norma that I thought that I reached the point where I could read her mind and that after we got the amount of cheese blend resolved, she would come back with followup questions on the amount of crushed tomatoes and onion to use (and maybe the amount of oil for her 8" x 10" pan). So, I tried to preempt those questions. I suppose it was a good thing to do since that highlighted the issue of how much crushed tomato and onion should be used, either for your recipe of the one I came up with for Norma.

Peter

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
Peter,

I was able to correct post #46 to add a note regarding the tomatoes but am unable to correct post #21 which also shows the sauce recipe because it has no "Modify" button to click.

Thanks
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
I was able to correct post #46 to add a note regarding the tomatoes but am unable to correct post #21 which also shows the sauce recipe because it has no "Modify" button to click.

s_b,

As a Moderator, I am able to do things that other members cannot. I believe that there is a time limit within which members can modify an existing post. So, I went back to Reply 21 and edited it along the same lines as you edited Reply 21. I think we are now all set. Thanks.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
s_b,

I corrected Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13048.msg162256.html#msg162256 to reflect the correct amounts of crushed tomatoes and onion to use for a single pizza in an 8" x 10" pan. You might want to edit your earlier posts to note that a full can (28 ounces) of crushed tomatoes and a half-onion are for four pizzas using the 12" x 17" pan. Otherwise, people following your posts literally may fall into the same trap as I did, although hopefully they would catch the error during assembly of the pizza or they would have seen from your video that the amount of sauce is quite modest.

It is actually quite funny how I came to post Reply 70. I have worked so much and for so long with Norma that I thought that I reached the point where I could read her mind and that after we got the amount of cheese blend resolved, she would come back with followup questions on the amount of crushed tomatoes and onion to use (and maybe the amount of oil for her 8" x 10" pan). So, I tried to preempt those questions. I suppose it was a good thing to do since that highlighted the issue of how much crushed tomato and onion should be used, either for your recipe of the one I came up with for Norma.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for correcting the amounts of crushed tomatoes and onion to use for a single pizza in a 8Ēx10Ē pan.  I think it also funny how you thought you could read my mind. I usually ask more questions, but this is one time I didnít. I know you do all calculating exactly whenever you are doing a formulation, and didnít even think to ask you anything.  I looked at the amount of crushed tomatoes and onions to add and thought that looked like a lot for such a small pizza, but I went ahead and used those amounts.  :-D I knew something was wrong yesterday.  I know you have helped me a lot in the past and I do appreciate all the help!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »
So, here is my attempt at the clone VP pizza steel_baker posted about.  It went okay, but there were a few things I didnít do right.  I will make another attempt next week for a steel_baker's clone VP pizza.

I added too much sauce and I donít know if it was the sauce, my baked temperature, or how long I baked the pie that gave me the results I had.  It could have been any of the variables listed above.

I saw the pie was browning on the bottom of the steel pan and it looked about finished to me, but when it was taken out of the pan I really donít think the crumb was baked enough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:59 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
Norma,

You might have noted that in Reply 70 I mentioned how much of a medium white onion to use for an 8" x 10" pizza. Maybe sometime when I have a medium white onion on hand I can determine how much 1/20th of it weighs. Then that weight can be used as a conversion factor for any size pizza.

Looking at the photos of your recent effort, I believe it was the excessive amount of tomatoes in relation to everything else that affected the bake of the pizza. I'm confident that your next effort with the right quantities of crushed tomatoes and onion will be much better. Even as it is, I like the looks of your pizza, especially the bottom of the crust.

Peter

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
Norma,

You might have noted that in Reply 70 I mentioned how much of a medium white onion to use for an 8" x 10" pizza. Maybe sometime when I have a medium white onion on hand I can determine how much 1/20th of it weighs. Then that weight can be used as a conversion factor for any size pizza.

Looking at the photos of your recent effort, I believe it was the excessive amount of tomatoes in relation to everything else that affected the bake of the pizza. I'm confident that your next effort with the right quantities of crushed tomatoes and onion will be much better. Even as it is, I like the looks of your pizza, especially the bottom of the crust.

Peter

Norma,

I would agree with Peter here. I think that the amount of tomato sauce affected the full baking of the crust. Otherwise, it looks like you've nailed the crust. The crumb structure & browning appear as they should.

s_b

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Norma,

Peter

Peter,

I will take note of Reply 70 and make sure I go about my attempt next week at a Victory Pig clone in a better fashion. 

Thanks for telling me you think the excessive amount of tomatoes in relation to everything else did affect the bake of the pizza.  I also liked the bottom crust. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
Norma,

I would agree with Peter here. I think that the amount of tomato sauce affected the full baking of the crust. Otherwise, it looks like you've nailed the crust. The crumb structure & browning appear as they should.

s_b

s_b,

Thanks for saying you agree with Peter that the amount of tomato sauce affected the full baking of the crust.  I will see how it goes next week.  Looking forward to being able to make your clone VP pizza.  :)

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
Maybe sometime when I have a medium white onion on hand I can determine how much 1/20th of it weighs. Then that weight can be used as a conversion factor for any size pizza.

According to the nutritiondata.self.com website, a "large" onion on average weighs 150 grams (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2501/2). Armed with that information, I decided to find such a white onion at my local supermarket. When I got there, I could not find anything that was remotely close to 150 grams. And they were all larger than 5 inches. They were not large. They were not even jumbo. They were Brobdingnagian!! I was afraid I was going to have to ask the produce manager to help me carry one of those onions to the checkout aisle. Otherwise, I would have had to roll it there. I decided to look elsewhere.

Fortunately, I was able to find a large white onion at another nearby market. When I got it home, I weighed it. It was 147 grams. Without the inedible outer skins and other parts, the weight was 144 grams. One-twentieth of that (for Norma's use) comes to a bit over 7 grams. By my estimation, that is between about 2 and 3 teaspoons when chopped in the normal manner, and maybe a bit less when reduced to the size that s_b described. I don't know what "large" means to s_b or what amount of chopped white onion he uses by weight for his 12" x 17" pizza, but a few teaspoons for Norma's use seems to me to be on the low side, even for a small amount of sauce. Perhaps s_d can tell us what his next "large" white onion weighs. That way, we will be working from numbers that work for him and, therefore, enable those who decide to try his recipe to more accurately replicate what he has done.

Peter

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
According to the nutritiondata.self.com website, a "large" onion on average weighs 150 grams (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2501/2). Armed with that information, I decided to find such a white onion at my local supermarket. When I got there, I could not find anything that was remotely close to 150 grams. And they were all larger than 5 inches. They were not large. They were not even jumbo. They were Brobdingnagian!! I was afraid I was going to have to ask the produce manager to help me carry one of those onions to the checkout aisle. Otherwise, I would have had to roll it there. I decided to look elsewhere.

Fortunately, I was able to find a large white onion at another nearby market. When I got it home, I weighed it. It was 147 grams. Without the inedible outer skins and other parts, the weight was 144 grams. One-twentieth of that (for Norma's use) comes to a bit over 7 grams. By my estimation, that is between about 2 and 3 teaspoons when chopped in the normal manner, and maybe a bit less when reduced to the size that s_b described. I don't know what "large" means to s_b or what amount of chopped white onion he uses by weight for his 12" x 17" pizza, but a few teaspoons for Norma's use seems to me to be on the low side, even for a small amount of sauce. Perhaps s_d can tell us what his next "large" white onion weighs. That way, we will be working from numbers that work for him and, therefore, enable those who decide to try his recipe to more accurately replicate what he has done.

Peter

I'll wing it here. Based upon your 144 gram onion, half of that would be 72 grams I get (4) trays from a batch of sauce containing that 72 grams of onions so each tray should have 18 grams of onion. With Norma's 8x10 pan size at 39% of my 12x17, that should be 18 x 0.39 =just a bit over 7 grams so that's about right. I have found that the size of the onion is not too critical since with raw onion, the taste is strong enough to be dispersed throughout the sauce when you mix them together. Next time a make a batch of sauce, I'll weigh the onion so we can see what it actually does weigh.

s_b

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the research on the onions at your supermarkets.  I know Texas is known for everything being big, but Texas must be in the imaginary ďworld of the giantsĒ when it comes to onions.  :-D I donít ordinarily use Spanish onions, but had just picked one out at the supermarket.  I really donít like the taste of Spanish onions and I prefer white onions or red onions.  I know when I used my Cuisinart grinder for the Spanish onions they had me crying since they were so strong.  I will get a white onion for next weeks attempt.  Who would have thought you would have to do research on onions.  No wonder I thought the onion taste was so strong in the crushed tomato sauce.  Jeff, Mark, and Randy thought the onion taste was good in the sauce, but Steve and I both thought the onion taste was way too strong.

Norma

I'll wing it here. Based upon your 144 gram onion, half of that would be 72 grams I get (4) trays from a batch of sauce containing that 72 grams of onions so each tray should have 18 grams of onion. With Norma's 8x10 pan size at 39% of my 12x17, that should be 18 x 0.39 =just a bit over 7 grams so that's about right. I have found that the size of the onion is not too critical since with raw onion, the taste is strong enough to be dispersed throughout the sauce when you mix them together. Next time a make a batch of sauce, I'll weigh the onion so we can see what it actually does weigh.

s_b

s_d,

Thanks for posting you think about 7 grams of onion is about right.  :) What kind of onions do you prefer in your sauce?  Thanks also for saying next time you make a batch of sauce that you will weigh the onion so we all know what it exactly weighs.  

Norma

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

s_d,

Thanks for posting you think about 7 grams of onion is about right.  :) What kind of onions do you prefer in your sauce?  Thanks also for saying next time you make a batch of sauce that you will weigh the onion so we all know what it exactly weighs.  

Norma

Norma, I prefer white onions for the sauce. I just chop them extremely fine using a chopper. I know for a fact however that the VP restaurant slices them paper thin & lays them on top of the tomatoes & under the cheese when they top the pizza.

s_b

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Norma, I prefer white onions for the sauce. I just chop them extremely fine using a chopper. I know for a fact however that the VP restaurant slices them paper thin & lays them on top of the tomatoes & under the cheese when they top the pizza.

s_b

s_b,

Thanks for telling me you prefer white onions for the sauce.  Does slicing the onions paper thin like the VP restaurant give the whole pizza any different taste?  Sorry to be asking all the questions.  I do have a Mandolin I could use. 

Norma