Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 50057 times)

Offline steel_baker

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
OK everyone. I have now shot a video of the pizza making process I use. I expect to have it edited and up on this thread within the next few days so for all VP pizza lovers, be patient. I'll get it up for everyone as soon as I can

steel_baker
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
OK folks, for everyone who has been waiting for the video & recipe, here it is. Thanks for being patient.

First the dough recipe:

Pizza Dough for 12x17 pan

The conversion to the volumes in the right hand column is not entirely accurate but will still get good results for you.   

Flour       | 100%  | 409g  | 3.25 cups (bread flour)
Water     |   67%  | 274g  | 9.8 oz (bottled water)
Salt        |  2.0%  |    8g  | 2 tsp
Sugar      |  2.0%  |    8g  | 2 tsp
IDY         |  2.0%  |    9g  | 2-1/4 tsp (1 packet of bread maker yeast)
Olive oil   |  2.0%  |    9g  | 2 tsp

Sauce: 1 can of crushed tomatoes, 1/2 large white onion finely chopped mixed in (no cooking, no spices). Please note that (1) 28oz can of crushed tomatoes with the recommended amount of onion will top (4) 12x17 trays so be sure to adjust your topping amount accordingly.

Cheese: 50/50 blend of shredded mozzarella & shredded Vermont white cheddar.

Peanut Oil: 1-1/2 to 2 oz of peanut oil in the pan (more may be necessary to avoid sticking if the pan is not well seasoned)

Kosher Salt: a few pinches prior to topping

Instructions and order of ingredients is shown in the video below.

Hope everyone enjoys this. I'm not exactly an expert in using iMovie and did this video with no camera help so it may be a bit rough but it will show you the techniques used to make this pizza.

Hope all of the VP pizza fans enjoy.

steel_baker
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:22:14 AM by Pete-zza »

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks steel baker. I will give this a go soon. Good job on the vid.
Don
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:19:01 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 07:42:41 AM »
Video is awesome Steel Baker!!!  Good Job!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
steel_baker,

I also agree you did a great job on the video!  :)  I want to try a Victory Pig style pizza one of these days too.

Thanks!
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RICO

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
Bravo!  Just finished watching this an enjoyed every bit of it.

As a "noob", I especially appreciated your illustrating weighing everything directly in the bowl.  I suppose this is standard practice with a lot of you, but I wouldn't have thought to use the zero/tare function of my scale like that.  At least not right away.

Thanks.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »
Great job and great looking pie there SB!
I have never tried the repeated rises and punch downs on Silician type style.  Can you comment on what difference this makes for you?
Thanks for sharing,
Hog

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
Great job and great looking pie there SB!
I have never tried the repeated rises and punch downs on Silician type style.  Can you comment on what difference this makes for you?
Thanks for sharing,
Hog

I believe that it's done primarily just to accomplish the stretch necessary to fill the pans corner to corner & edge to edge. With every successive rise it becomes easier to stretch. I also normally do a cold ferment overnight. I use polycarbonate containers that I spray with cooking spray, seal them with lids, and stack them in my garage fridge overnight. Because the containers are square, it also gives me a head start on the stretch to rectangular shape when I put them in the pans. I generally try to put the dough into the pans at least 4 hours before baking. Pictures of the containers are in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

If I were running a pizza restaurant serving this pizza, the weighed dough balls would go right into the oiled pans , given the initial stretch as in the video, and then into a proofing cabinet to sit before a final stretch, topping, and bake. I'd probably get about 50 trays ahead to start the day. The real VP restaurant uses several senior ladies (italian grandmothers?) to do the stretching & topping. They only make pizza on wednesdays, fridays, & saturdays from 4:00 until 10:00. That's the only time they're open and they have made a fortune over the years (and they're cash only).

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »
Here are some pics of the finished product after it is cut & served. Don't know why I didn't post these before. Note the broccoli & garlic tray.Wonderful texture & flavor.

steel_baker

Offline Chet

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
 HI

Was wondering, since I have a few of these type of black steel pan, have you ever tried to make 2 pies at once.

Chet

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
HI

Was wondering, since I have a few of these type of black steel pan, have you ever tried to make 2 pies at once.

Chet

I generally make three trays when I make pizza. I only have one baking at a time though. Even though I have a high end Wolf Dual Fuel range, I'm just not confident that the airflow in the oven would be sufficient to evenly bake two trays at once. If it was a 36" or bigger oven, I would try it. But at 30", it's just too iffy since I can't fit two pans on the same rack at the same time.

Offline communist

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
Thanks for the great video steelbaker!  You got me hungry for Victory Pig Pizza, and I took the family down for a tray.  Unique and tasty pizza, with crisp greasy crust, bright tomato flavor and good cheese topping. As always, a hit with the family.  About 60 bucks with tip for a family of six with sodas.  Could probably save 50 bucks by following your recipe!

Offline communist

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
Pics from last night at the Victory Pig.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:55:19 PM by communist »

Offline Chet

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »

Steel Baker

You mentioned you put your dough in the fridge for an overnight ferment. do you put it in the fridge right after the dough is kneaded for 15 min.

Chet

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »

Steel Baker

You mentioned you put your dough in the fridge for an overnight ferment. do you put it in the fridge right after the dough is kneaded for 15 min.

Chet

Chet,

After the dough ball comes together, I let it rest for 15 minutes, then I knead it for 6-8 mins. Then into the fridge overnight.

steel_baker

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the great video steelbaker!  You got me hungry for Victory Pig Pizza, and I took the family down for a tray.  Unique and tasty pizza, with crisp greasy crust, bright tomato flavor and good cheese topping. As always, a hit with the family.  About 60 bucks with tip for a family of six with sodas.  Could probably save 50 bucks by following your recipe!

You're welcome communist. VP pizza has always been somewhat of an obsession with me. My recipe is very close. I made some tonight for my wife's birthday get together. Made 3 trays, 2 regular, 1 sausage & peppers.

Here are some pics of the sausage & peppers tray that I made. It looked so pretty I had to take pictures of it. I baked it an extra 1-1/2 minutes since there were more toppings (especially with the peppers & the water they contain). I wanted to make sure it was fully baked. Also, on tonight's trays, I started adding some extra cheese around the edges of the pan to get a nice crispy cheese crust on the edges. Similar to the Buddy's Detroit style pizza. You can really notice the cheese crust around the edges in these pictures.

steel_baker
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:03:40 PM by steel_baker »

Offline Chet

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
   Steel Baker

You know that if the owner of VP logs on, He just might ask you for your recipe rights (LOL) keep up the nice work.

Chet

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
   Steel Baker

You know that if the owner of VP logs on, He just might ask you for your recipe rights (LOL) keep up the nice work.

Chet

I'll just tell him that I'll show him mine if he shows me his.  :-D :-D :-D

steel_baker

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
Excellent video steel_baker. Sorry if you already covered this, but what is your preferred type of flour? (I know you say bread flour, but any particular brand that continues to work the way you expect?)  Thanks for the thorough video, very well presented and easy enough to follow. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
Excellent video steel_baker. Sorry if you already covered this, but what is your preferred type of flour? (I know you say bread flour, but any particular brand that continues to work the way you expect?)  Thanks for the thorough video, very well presented and easy enough to follow. :chef:

Thanks Jet_Deck. Nothing special on the flour. I use any type of bread flour I can get. I usually buy 25 lb bags from either Costco or Sam's Club & store it in airtight bulk containers.

Steel_Baker

pizzapan