Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 44608 times)

Offline steel_baker

Made a focaccia using the VP style dough recipe as my starting point
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Here is a post describing how I made an excellent focaccia yesterday using the VP style pizza dough as my starting point for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20933.msg209605.html#msg209605

steel_baker

:chef:
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline keithgrahame29

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »
Steel_Baker, I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you put into reproducing this pizza.

I live in Philadelphia and grew-up on Pizza Loven pizza, one of the knock offs >:(. I cannot wait to make some pizza once I get my pans.

I do have one question after reviewing the video and all the previous posts.

After forming the dough ball, do you have to let it rest overnight in the refrigerator? In the video, you put it right to work, which seems way easier to me? Also, does either of the two options change the dough/pizza?

Offline keithgrahame29

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
ALERT: P.A. Products no longer carries BLUE STEEL PANS.

Son of a nutcracker!

If anybody has one they want to sell, especially if its used, contact me at keithgrahame29@yahoo.com. I will be more than happy to buy one from you.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
Steel_Baker, I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you put into reproducing this pizza.

I live in Philadelphia and grew-up on Pizza Loven pizza, one of the knock offs >:(. I cannot wait to make some pizza once I get my pans.

I do have one question after reviewing the video and all the previous posts.

After forming the dough ball, do you have to let it rest overnight in the refrigerator? In the video, you put it right to work, which seems way easier to me? Also, does either of the two options change the dough/pizza?

You're welcome.....

I like to make my dough in the morning and put it right into the pans. I cover them (I had lids for the 12x17 BS pans) and let them sit all day. Then I knock them down with my fingertips, top them, and bake them. You can make the dough ahead of time and put it in the fridge overnight. I've done that before but have found that it's just easier to put it into the pans, cover, & let them sit. You could always put the dough ball into the pan, cover it, & refrigerate overnight.

Either way is fine though and you should have no issues whichever way you choose.  :chef:

s_b

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
ALERT: P.A. Products no longer carries BLUE STEEL PANS.

Son of a nutcracker!

If anybody has one they want to sell, especially if its used, contact me at keithgrahame29@yahoo.com. I will be more than happy to buy one from you.

Damn..... I originally bought a dozen but only use three. I gave the rest away to friends & relatives who wanted to make it themselves. Now they're even more valuable I guess

Offline keithgrahame29

« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »
Thanks Blue-Steel, I have ordered some of the smaller Paderno BS pans. From what I read, I will just reduce the amount of peanut oil a bit.

When using the smaller Paderno 15.75 X 11.825 Inch Blue Steel Baking Sheet, do I have to reduce the amount of dough I use?

Also, you said that you like to make the dough in the morning, cover it and let itsit it all day. Do you let it sit at room temp? Do you give them the first stretching before letting them sit all day? Am I completely over thinking this whole thing? I have never made dough before, so thank you for bearing with me during all my newbie questions!

I will be using a kitchenaid mix with a dough attachment. I hope that works as well as your awesome mixer from the video! No pulse function, I figure I'll just keep flipping the swith back and forth!

What happened to your lids? I did read that you bought some!

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2012, 01:25:19 AM »
Thanks Blue-Steel, I have ordered some of the smaller Paderno BS pans. From what I read, I will just reduce the amount of peanut oil a bit.

When using the smaller Paderno 15.75 X 11.825 Inch Blue Steel Baking Sheet, do I have to reduce the amount of dough I use?

Yes

Also, you said that you like to make the dough in the morning, cover it and let itsit it all day. Do you let it sit at room temp?

Yes

Do you give them the first stretching before letting them sit all day?

Yes, you always stretch it when you first put it in the pan.

Am I completely over thinking this whole thing? I have never made dough before, so thank you for bearing with me during all my newbie questions!

I will be using a kitchenaid mix with a dough attachment. I hope that works as well as your awesome mixer from the video! No pulse function, I figure I'll just keep flipping the swith back and forth!

What happened to your lids? I did read that you bought some!

I still have them, wrong choice of words I guess. And everybody is a newbie at some point so no worries there.

s_b

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

Instructions and order of ingredients is shown in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yJ7sdzWTg

steel_baker

Thanks again for the thorough video.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chet

« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »
 HI S_B

Can you tell me the weight of the dough for your recipe on page 2.

Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
HI S_B

Can you tell me the weight of the dough for your recipe on page 2.

Chet

Chet,

steel_baker can correct me if I am wrong, and you can review the matter yourself, but I believe the answer to your question can be found in Reply 63 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13048.msg161972.html#msg161972.

Peter

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »
Chet,

steel_baker can correct me if I am wrong, and you can review the matter yourself, but I believe the answer to your question can be found in Reply 63 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13048.msg161972.html#msg161972.

Peter

Yes, that is correct.

s_b   ;D

Offline Chet

« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »

Big oops there, I somehow missed that recipe, was looking at the wrong one,

thanks

Chet

PS Example. If I wanted to make 4 pies in my Bosch U plus, can I be safe to say If I multiplied the recipe x 4 will work. if it would work, I am going to make adjustments for 26 oz dough balls

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »

Big oops there, I somehow missed that recipe, was looking at the wrong one,

thanks

Chet

PS Example. If I wanted to make 4 pies in my Bosch U plus, can I be safe to say If I multiplied the recipe x 4 will work. if it would work, I am going to make adjustments for 26 oz dough balls

That's how I would do it.

s_b

Offline keithgrahame29

« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »
Having lived in Wyoming Valley for my entire youth, I attempted the impossible tonight: victory pig syle pizza at home. AND, IT WAS AMAZING! Thank you blue steel. All your years of effort are making me a party favorite even though I did little to deserve it. However, I am not going to give you credit to my fans. SORRY, but I am selfish like that.  >:D

You rock blue steel. Please invite me to one of your foodie parties because I am so jealous that you awesome friends/neighbors like that. I'll bring the beer, you bring the bread. Also, if you do invite me, make sure that I do not steal your mixer.  :-D

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »
You're welcome.....

I like to make my dough in the morning and put it right into the pans. I cover them (I had lids for the 12x17 BS pans) and let them sit all day. Then I knock them down with my fingertips, top them, and bake them. You can make the dough ahead of time and put it in the fridge overnight. I've done that before but have found that it's just easier to put it into the pans, cover, & let them sit. You could always put the dough ball into the pan, cover it, & refrigerate overnight.

Either way is fine though and you should have no issues whichever way you choose.  :chef:

s_b

s_b,

I have successfully used your recipe; continued thanks. But, in my quest for learning (sometimes with my own experimentation, sometimes with others'), I was wondering what differences you encountered with the finished product between when you use to refrigerate your dough overnight, and now, just letting it sit several hours? Any change in the crumb?

BTW, for those interested, I did order a single 12x17 blue steel pan from Red Hill General Store
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/housewares/kitchen/kitacc/Blue-Steel-Utility-Dripping-Pans.htm
It is advertised as a utility / dripping pan, which is why I ordered only one. When it arrived it had a thin film of oil on it that smelled more like something from a garage than a kitchen. After washing it once it seemed good to go, but I washed a second time for peace of mind. After removing the thin film of oil this pan appears to be just like my kitchen specific blue steel pan, only the correct size. Its in the oven right now getting its 3rd seasoning, and it's looking really good!

Offline matermark

« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:22 AM »
I think if you ordered a blue steel pan from redhillgeneralstore in the last 3-4 months, it's no longer blue steel but just cold rolled steel. The mfr changed to a plant in Mexico I think.

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
I think if you ordered a blue steel pan from redhillgeneralstore in the last 3-4 months, it's no longer blue steel but just cold rolled steel. The mfr changed to a plant in Mexico I think.

>:( Damn! They need to change their website!! Would theire be a qualitative difference with functionality once it is heavily seasoned? Thanks for the info.

Offline matermark

« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
Others here have said that the blueing process just acts to prevent rust, so if you get them seasoned and all nice & black there's not much difference (if any at all.)

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
The bluing process is only to prevent oxidation (rust). About the only difference you may have between a blue steel pan and cold rolled steel is the gauge of the steel itself. My blue steel pans are a very light gauge so they heat up & transfer the oven heat to the contents very quickly. I also have some steel roasting pans that are a much heavier gauge. They are terrible for pizza because the top burns before the crust really bakes. They bake much slower so you get no crust with them, just bread. Gauge of the pan is critical....

s_b

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
s_b,

I have successfully used your recipe; continued thanks. But, in my quest for learning (sometimes with my own experimentation, sometimes with others'), I was wondering what differences you encountered with the finished product between when you use to refrigerate your dough overnight, and now, just letting it sit several hours? Any change in the crumb?

None. I think that the overnight ferment does promote a slightly richer flavor in the crust though, but very little.

s_b