Author Topic: oh-my, wholegrain goodness!  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Samurai_pizzacatz

oh-my, wholegrain goodness!
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
Just got into making wholegrain pizzas for the family. They seem to be more filling, not to mention healthier!!

:pizza: Got a great recipe from bettaliving.org  :pizza: (argh won't let me post link sorry!! and it was so yum!)

Any others, shoot 'em my way please  :chef:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: oh-my, wholegrain goodness!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »
Welcome to the board.

You know, every time someone is new and posts a link of some "extraordinary" pizza crust (link included) in their first post, I'm a bit wary.

With that said, there are already numerous recipes for WW pizza, gluten-free pies and the like on here. To me it looks like you are promoting your own site. If that's not the case, please feel free to share your pizza experiences with the rest of us.

Again, welcome to the board and have fun on here. ;)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
Even though spammers don't last long around here, I try to give new members the benefit of the doubt. So, I think it is safe to provide the link to the whole wheat recipe that I believe Samurai_pizzacatz had in mind, at http://www.bettaliving.org/Recipes/Wholemeal%20pizza.html.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:27:41 PM »
Whenever a recipe calls out baking powder as leavening for pizza dough I lose interest immediately.
Don

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
Whenever a recipe calls out baking powder as leavening for pizza dough I lose interest immediately.
Don
x's 2
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »

Don, 

How do you react, or would you react, if the recipe calls for both a chemical leavening system and commercial yeast? An example would be a take and bake pizza or a premix pizza dough.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »
Peter, I think it was the "New to You" Monthly Challenge where I experimented with a number of thin and crispy pizzas in a toaster oven, baking on a steel plate and used a number of on line recipes calling out baking powder and or baking soda as guides in the beginning. Many of those recipes, including this one posted here say to knead until smooth. Huh? ??? Pretty much guarantees no oven lift as in that time your kneading your removing the needed bubbles leading to a dense crust. I found that to be true even using double acting where heat produces bubbling.  Even ones calling for an acid of some sort, creme of tartar, vinegar or lime juice and to mix only until the dough comes together and did exhibit better rise were, at least to me, lacking in texture and flavor needed in a thin and crispy crust. In the spirit of experimentation perhaps I will try baking powder with yogurt and citric acid in this month's challenge. I do believe chemical leavening has it's place in baking just not sure it's in my pizza. ;D
Don

Don, 

How do you react, or would you react, if the recipe calls for both a chemical leavening system and commercial yeast? An example would be a take and bake pizza or a premix pizza dough.

Peter