Author Topic: Bad pizza tonight (no pics, not worthy)  (Read 1454 times)

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
Bad pizza tonight (no pics, not worthy)
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »
So, we'll just call tonight's pizza...experimental? I made the dough on Sunday with only starter, no yeast. Mixed it, let it rest, added in more flour, mixed, let it rest. It was a very wet dough, less than 80 degrees on the food processor blade, but didn't stick to my hands. Put it in an oiled bowl and it chilled in the fridge for over 24 hours.  Took it out at lunch to warm up to room temp. At 6:00 it looked the same, no rise, no indication of life even. So I halved the dough and pressed it out onto 2 10" pans. (This dough would never have made it from peel to tiles.)

After letting the crusts rise for about 45 minutes, I pre-baked them at 475 for about 3 minutes. They didn't brown, they didn't smell good and they didn't look good. So, ever the optimist, I put on some sauce, cheese and some browned Italian sausage. They baked until brown and I ate a couple of slices - it was dinner, anyway.

I will not be making dough with only starter again. Maybe more than one TB is needed to give more flavor, but I'm convinced that I need a little yeast in the dough recipe.

"...tomorrow is another day!"

pyegal

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
Re: Bad pizza tonight (no pics, not worthy)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:08:21 PM »
ok. don't sweat it. superfreak is here.

this is the recipe to the crust that makes st. louis style pizza famous. st. louis style pizza? you ask. yes. go there. order from imo's. you'll know what i mean.

check it.

Crust:
In large mixing bowl combine:
   2 cup + 2 TBL   AP flour
   1/2 tsp   salt
   1 tsp   Baking powder
   2 tsp   Olive Oil
   2 tsp   Dark Corn Syrup
   1/2 cup + 2 tbl   water
Mix until thoroughly combined - Dough will be very stiff. makes enough for two (2) 12” pizza pies. The dough is ready to use “as-is” No need to rise or kneed. Divide the dough in half, shape into a round ball and roll out paper thin.

it helps to use a pizza stone. oh and crank that bad boy oven as high as it will go. 475 aint gonna do it. preheat it for at least 45 minutes to an hour.

party.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:36 AM »
Teresa,

Don't give up so easy. I would have suffered the same fate had it not been for Bakerboy. Go to Reply #153 at the Lehmann thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.140.html, to see what I mean.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 02:09:57 AM »
as usual, peter is the hookup.  Notice in the picture how frothy the starter is.  I just tried my starter for the first time, and I think getting it to the right stage is the only thing I did right about the dough.  I hope I am not assuming incorrectly, but I think you used your starter too late, or too early.  My starter only dough's had almost as much spring as my doughs that combined IDY.  When I used my starter it had overflowed it's container twice.  Make sure you feed your starter frequently, and don't rush it.

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 07:46:06 AM »
You have convinced me to try another all starter dough at another time. I've made all starter/no yeast breads a number of times and had good success with them. I think you are right when you say I used the starter too late or too early. I've followed the feeding procedure correctly for over a year with my starter, but still have much to learn about getting the timing right. And, we all know how "real life" can interfere with our experimentation to perfect pizza dough recipes.

I read the thread you included, Peter and made notes on it for the next time I try a starter only dough.

Thank you all.

pyegal

pizzapan