Author Topic: looking for cheap ir Termumter model  (Read 3066 times)

Offline scott123

Re: looking for cheap ir Termumter model
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »
Michael I did a little more research on fireclay. Apparently, a smooth surface can indicate that the stone is poured into a mold (cast) rather than pressed. Poured clay contains more water, so, when the water evaporates, you end up with more air. More air translates into a lower density and lower conductivity. Poured clay is also very structurally weak.

With the weight of your stone (5 Kg) and the smoothness, I can pretty much guarantee that it's poured.  44% alumina is pretty good as far as firebrick goes, as is the 3 cm thickness, but... neither will make up for lack of thermal mass in the stone.

You seem to be getting great results and appear happy with your current setup, but, should you ever reach the point where you want even more oven spring, then I suggest tracking down a denser stone.  Thick, dense and conductive stones are the secret to fast baked pizzas with superb oven spring.

What's your current bake time? Around 6 minutes?

Pizza01

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 06:43:05 AM »
but the stone is not smooth it has the texture of pressed sand. the baking time after i have listened to you and preheated the oven 80 minutes is 4 minute.

i am more then sure its pressed. i got the stone in very low price, in regular stores they sell 30*30*3 in more then 50$ mine should cost somthing like 80$. its very good stone it does wonderful stuff and i am very happy with it.
you said thay 40% alumina is good...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:48:21 AM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »
here is close look.

Offline scott123

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
Michael, below is a shot of one of your recent pies.  Are you pretty sure that you were able to achieve this much color in 4 minutes?  If that's the case, one of the numbers must be off.  Are you absolutely certain that the stone weighs 5 Kg?  If that's the case, then I'm thinking that your oven must go quite a bit higher than the 270C setting on the dial. A

44% alumina
5 Kg
38x34x3 cm

stone pre-heated to 270C for 80 minutes shouldn't be able to bake a 4 minute pie.  Something has to be off here.

Pizza01

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
here is pie i baked in 4 minutes.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13197.msg129946.html#msg129946
i also puted timer to know the number, this pie was 4.10 minute, the second one 6 minute and you can read why.
all this color came after i preheated the stone 80 minutes, before it dident happened. you should also consider the fact scott that i am using 1% sugar in my formula that also give color to the pies.

i would go more far then that and add - when i put the pizza in the oven i put it on baking paper and take out the paper after 2 minute. i do it because i want the baking to be balanced from top and bottem. if i will puted directly on the stone from the begining i am afrraid it will get burned from the bottem.

and yes the stone wheight 5 kg the box said it and it heavy like 5kg the last time i cheked.
my oven said its max temperature is 270cl but i think the stone brings it highier thats why i opened the thread at the first place. i wanted to know and still want to know what is the temperature on the stone read when its fully loaded/heated.

every number i have writen is right. for the best or the worst. but one thing i know i have very good stone i felt it from the first time i baked on it.
when i finished baking about 6 hour after the stone is still hot. the manufactor also told me when i bought it that it give the oven more thick heat and brings it the degrees up more.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:30:52 AM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »
?  If that's the case, then I'm thinking that your oven must go quite a bit higher than the 270C setting on the dial. A
maybe its new oven by bosch. personly i think when the stone is fully loaded it has somthing like 350 cl on it but i have to check it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:35:22 AM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
the pie i baked in 4.10 minute was from bread flour with 11% proteins to this pizza i added 5 gram of vitel wheat gluten powder i think maybe the high gluten is what gave this pizza its color after 4 minutes.
at the same day i baked another pizza as you can see at the thread from ap flour, the baking time was 6 minutes.
it all make sence to me. i also understand the more drier the dough is the faster it burned. so there is a lot to do with color and time. this pie at the photo was 60% hydration.
this is from varasanos blog "The more protein, the quicker it burns. Hi Gluten flour may burn at these temps.  In general, I recommend higher gluten flours for lower temp oven"
"Also the drier it is the more it burns. So in general,"

i plan to make pizza this saterday without adding the gluten powder, i will count again and update the whole procces.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:21:47 PM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
then I'm thinking that your oven must go quite a bit higher than the 270C setting on the dial.

i tunred the dial to its max and took a picture for you. if there were number ther then they were at 290 cl but i wonder if that the case.

what do you think ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:15:34 PM by msheetrit »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
Is the knob on right please provide same picture in the off position  so we can see where those arrows are?
thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott123

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
Michael, there's a saying here in the states that goes "making a mountain out of a molehill."  That's probably what I'm doing here.  Yes, I'm a little bit curious about the relatively light stone and quick bake times, but that's really unimportant within the bigger picture of the quality of pies you're baking. If you can eventually get your hands on that IR thermometer and see what stone temps you're actually getting, that would be interesting, but, otherwise, keep doing what you're doing, because it's definitely working- in a big way.

Pizza01

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »
Is the knob on right please provide same picture in the off position  so we can see where those arrows are?
thanks

Pizza01

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
Michael, there's a saying here in the states that goes "making a mountain out of a molehill."  That's probably what I'm doing here.  Yes, I'm a little bit curious about the relatively light stone and quick bake times, but that's really unimportant within the bigger picture of the quality of pies you're baking. If you can eventually get your hands on that IR thermometer and see what stone temps you're actually getting, that would be interesting, but, otherwise, keep doing what you're doing, because it's definitely working- in a big way.

yes, i defently curious to know what the ir will read. but even if dont get it over all i am preaty pleased with the outcome. but at least now we knoe from what the stone is made of scott. thank you for every thing my friend.

pizzapan