Author Topic: Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe to use in a home oven  (Read 890 times)

Offline Spumoni215

Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe to use in a home oven
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
I know one can't get the same results as using a wood fired oven but I'm wondering if anyone has a simple (as in I don't understand how to work with percentages yet and don't have a kitchen scale to weigh) neapolitan dough recipe they use for home baking?

Thanks for your help

Offline Gags

Re: Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe to use in a home oven
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
I'm sure someone here has a better answer, but I would think you're stuck with nearly-politan for the home oven.
If you search on the forum, you're sure to find recipes.
Johnny the Gent and others cranked out some great looking pies in this thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.msg292445.html#msg292445

Go ahead and spend the $30 to get a digital scale and possibly another $40 for a digital laser thermometer.
In my experience, pizza making involves, among other things, precision, time, and temperature.
You'll need the measuring tools to improve your game.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:51:02 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Spumoni215

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I'm actually using Peter Reinhart's recipe from his pizza book.  now if I could understand how to do recipes by %'s I'll be in good shape

I'm sure someone here has a better answer, but I would think you're stuck with nearly-politan for the home oven.
If you search on the forum, you're sure to find recipes.
Johnny the Gent and others cranked out some great looking pies in this thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.msg292445.html#msg292445

Go ahead and spend the $30 to get a digital scale and possibly another $40 for a digital laser thermometer.
In my experience, pizza making involves, among other things, precision, time, and temperature.
You'll need the measuring tools to improve your game.

Good luck!

Offline Kale dog

• SO VEGAN DAIYA OMG SO GIF IMAGE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I'm actually using Peter Reinhart's recipe from his pizza book.  now if I could understand how to do recipes by %'s I'll be in good shape

Bakers % is just to scale up a recipe
Worthless to try and decipher
Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:16 AM »
Bakers % is just to scale up a recipe
Worthless to try and decipher

Actually, it is a very valuable tool and has many other applications than scaling up a recipe. It is very easy to understand if you have the impetus to learn. You can use this site's dough calculator to get started.

John

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
You're not going to be able to do a "legit" Neapolitan pizza at home unless your oven can hit 905+ degrees. 

Reinhart's pseudo-politan recipe translated to barker's percentages is:

All Purpose Flour - 100%
Water - 69.54% (this is extremely high for all purpose flour)
Table Salt - 1.53% (a bit low IMO)
Instant Yeast - 0.47%

Years ago, Pamela Sheldon Johns had a similar pseudo-politan formulation:

100%, All-purpose flour plus cake flour (she suggested King Arthur Queen Guinevere Flour) (65/35 mix)
62.7%, Warm water (around 105-115 degrees F)
0.56%, ADY or 0.3976% IDY
2.4%, Sea salt

Combine the water and yeast in a small bowl and proof until foamy, around 5-8 minutes. 

Put the yeast mixture in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Combine the flour and salt and add gradually to the yeast mixture in the mixer bowl. The dough ingredients should be kneaded at low speed until no longer sticky, for about 10 minutes, to prevent any overheating of the dough. 
Continue to knead for another 20 minutes. 

Shape the dough into a round, place in a lightly oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise 4 hours in a warm place. 

Punch the dough down; divide into 4 pieces, and shape into balls. Brush the dough balls lightly with oil, cover completely with plastic wrap, and let rise another 2-4 hours. 

Note that you could eliminate the cake flour in the recipe.  The normal rated hydration of King Arthur All Purpose Flour is 60%, so you can adjust the recipe accordingly.

Eventually you'll want to extend the fermentation time of your doughs for better flavor by reducing the amount of yeast.  For more information on that subject read reply #75 of this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.60.html

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »