Author Topic: Feedback on my cake yeast workflow?  (Read 739 times)

Offline valhalla

Feedback on my cake yeast workflow?
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
I was able to make a few pizzas over the holidays and have been trying to recreate some of the beautiful pies made by Marlon and the cake yeast dough he uses. If I capture a fraction of the quality of those inspirational pies I'll be happy! ;D

Here is the formula I used:

1000 g Caputo "00" Pizzeria flour (roughly) (blue label), 100%
580 ml water (temp adjusted according to flour and mixer temp, filtered), 58%
2 g Cake Yeast, 0.2%
20 g salt (sea salt), 2%

1) Combine yeast with water in the bowl of the SP5 spiral mixed, then add all of the flour and mix until just combined and shaggy.

2) Autolyse for 20 minutes covered with a damp towel

3) Begin mixing and add sea salt (photo at 00'34")

4) Mix for 05'00" (photos 01'00" -> 05'01")

5) Target dough temp 68F - 70F

6) Allow dough to rest in a covered bowl for 20 min. (photo of slightly rough dough ball)

7) Perform a series of slap and folds (about 4) with 5 min rest in-between each one until dough is smooth (photo of smooth dough ball)

8) Bulk ferment for two hours at 68F - 70F (photo of 68F dough ball) and expect no more than 10-15% increase in volume.

9) Ball into 270g portions and final ferment for 24-hours at 60-65F

Offline valhalla

Re: Feedback on my cake yeast workflow?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
10) After final fermentation, the dough ball expands ~70-100% but retains some strength (photo of risen dough ball)

11) Expand dough (photo of pizza skin on peel)

12) Top with your favorites (Solea tomatoes, wild oregano, Mozzarella House mozzarella etc.

13) Cook at 850F floor, 950F dome

14) Final product - enjoy!  :drool:

What I've learned from this batch is to work on my shaping skills. It really impacts the final product and I really need more practice.

Please let me know if anybody has additional insights, and thank you to everybody who has helped me get this far!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
These pies look really good. Your workflow looks spot on as you get a nice, smooth dough ball.

Do you have any shots of the crumb? How did the crust taste?

John

Offline valhalla

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
Thanks John. The taste was great and so was the texture. It had the combination of slightly crispy exterior texture with a nice chewy somewhat soft interior. Here is a shot of the crumb, it came out a bit blurry. One thing I noticed was that the dough improved a bit between my first and last pizzas so I might adjust the final rise temp/time.

Offline valhalla

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
Getting closer with the microleoparding but the texture was a bit too soft. I had to cut the bulk fermentation down to 1'20" then 18hrs at 60F. Next time I will go back to the full 2hr bulk.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:21:43 AM »
The pizzas look awesome!  Do you have the fire in the back while cooking the pizza?

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
Those pies look great. I'd say you went 0-60 faster than a dodge viper!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Looking great!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline valhalla

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
Marlon - thank you! Your pizzas have really been my inspiration and thank you for sharing all of your insights. Yes there was live fire in the back of the oven that reached the top of the dome and I had placed a log in the back of the oven to block some of the radiant heat from the coals. One thing I learned from this bake is that I should split my wood into smaller pieces before I bake. This time I ended up with more coals than I would like when I was ready to bake (~850F floor, ~950 dome).

Corkd and Craig - thank you  too for the positive feedback. The only reason I've made progress is the support from people like you on this forum. Craig - I use a starter for all of my bread baking and plan on giving it a try. For now I am limiting the number of variables and working on the cake yeast workflow, but I can imagine there are some real advantages to a natural levan.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »
Have you tried baking with the fire an coals on one side only?  You can bake the pizza deeper inside the oven and might help you get a more pronounced leoparding with a faster bake. 

Offline valhalla

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
Good tip. My oven is only ~35" deep, smaller wood, coals on the side - will give it a try.