Author Topic: A week in Naples  (Read 1089 times)

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
A week in Naples
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
I just spent a week in Naples trying as many pizzeria's as possible. Just thought I would share some observations. I went to around 12 places. What I realized is the Neapolitan pizza in states does not taste like the pizza in Naples. I haven't been to one place in the states that makes it the same as in Naples. First all the pizza's are at least 13-14 inches going over the side of the plate (They are called " Ruota di Carro", truck wheel pizza) and they are incredibly soft like a blanket and very very thin, razor thin in the middle yet they hold the toppings. Now granted they eat pizza with a fork and knife. I am not saying that the pizza there is better but I have yet to find a place that mimics that style. Now I prefer a slightly firmer crust and that's what we do at Pizzeoli. So in reality what we do here is a version of Neapolitan Pizza but not authentically identical. I am not sure exactly how they do it that way but I think one thing is the temp of the oven..  They probably bake close to 950 (Less than a minute) and a lot of the places use the red bag Caputo, not the blue bag. Apparently the red bag has a higher protein. http://caputoflour.com/portfolio_item/00-rinforzato/. One thing was consistent..... there should be absolutely NO REFRIGERATION of the dough. Everyone I talked to was adamant about this. The black spots on the crust aren't considered a good thing there!  Also I did not see one Stefano Ferrara or Acunto oven. Most places had the same looking oven, the same one as Spacca Napoli in Chicago.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:01:22 AM by pizzeoli »

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A week in Naples
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
i also havent been able to find a pizza similar in the states. i thought keste would be close but it wasnt

Offline Firenze

• Supporting Member
  • Family, friends, pizza, and a few vices!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
I followed your trip on Instagram! Looked like a nice time! -- @ InstaWaller

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »
I followed your trip on Instagram! Looked like a nice time! -- @ InstaWaller

Thank you. I loved it!

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
i also havent been able to find a pizza similar in the states. i thought keste would be close but it wasnt

The closest one to the states was Starita and that makes sense because they have one in New York and one in Atlanta, but all the other places had the same style that I described above.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:09:08 AM »
Big pizza small rim is in formerly por area of naples. Smaller diameter and bigger rim is in richer areas historically. Franco pepe and ammacamm are examples of small pizza see pictures
Many pizzeria refregirate and bring to Rom temp before bakning. Even IF they dont say.
Red bag is often during hot months.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:43:57 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Big pizza small rim is in formerly por area of naples. Smaller diameter and bigger rim is in richer areas historically. Franco pepe and ammacamm are examples of small pizza see pictures
Many pizzeria refregirate and bring to Rom temp before bakning. Even IF they dont say.
Red bag is often during hot months.

Thanks for that info! Wanted to visit Frank Pepe but did not have time

Offline fagilia

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
The pizza on top is from franco pepes restaurant but not made by himself. Maby he would not like it so much iam not sure.

Offline nbickett

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
Thank you, Fagilia. Where are the pizzas in the second photo from?

Offline nbickett

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »
My apologies, Ammaccàmm, correct?

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
Your description is right on, what were your favorites. I prefer dimatteo

Offline fagilia

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 03:14:02 AM »
Di matteo knocked me out 3 weeks ago ;D
IT is kind of dirty there so i was unlucky to eat bad panna haha.
Ciro salvo is by far the best so far but i have a couple others i should visit. IT is both big and big rims and very soft.
Ammaccamm is also very good. There are many good pizzerias when i think about it :)

wordpress