Author Topic: Pale Cornicione with Lots of Charred Microblisters (TXCraig Pie)  (Read 601 times)

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
How is this achieved?  I generally get an overall browning with charred macroblisters...

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pale Cornicione with Lots of Charred Microblisters (TXCraig Pie)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »
Can you post a picture of one of your pies and one of mine that shows what you like? I see if I can help you bridge the gap.

If you would describe your current formula, workflow, and oven, that would help too.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Surely.  I will be making some pies tomorrow so will post pics and my workflow. 

Offline Everlast

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »
Craig, it would seem to me that the microblisters are achieved by your 48 hour workflow using a natural starter. If you look closely at the dough balls after the 48 hour fermentation period, you can see the little bubbles all over the raw dough. Add 60-90 seconds of 800F+ heat and you get the below. I was never able to achieve the level of microblisters shown below using commercial yeast. And I did tend to get more of the large charred bubbles.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
Craig, it would seem to me that the microblisters are achieved by your 48 hour workflow using a natural starter. If you look closely at the dough balls after the 48 hour fermentation period, you can see the little bubbles all over the raw dough. Add 60-90 seconds of 800F+ heat and you get the below. I was never able to achieve the level of microblisters shown below using commercial yeast. And I did tend to get more of the large charred bubbles.

That's a beautiful picture right there. Love the crust, love colors.

I don't remember ever seeing little bubbles on my dough. I look closer next time. I think longer, cold fermentation (baker's yeast) may be one of the factors that lead to larger/big cat leoparding.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I'm making some dough for a bake this Saturday and will take a picture of the dough ball up close and post it here.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
If your oven is small, make sure you have a big flame that overlaps the entire ceiling up to the opposite wall.   

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:53:39 AM »
big cat leoparding

Hah!

I always see a little bubbling under the skin of my dough when balled.  Not a lot, but always there.  This wasn't fully fermented:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28721.0;attach=157784;image

And when opened there is always bubbling going on:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28721.0;attach=158710;image

And back to microblistering, for what it's worth I noticed a big increase in microblistering when I switched to Ischia.  My old homemade starter produced larger spots.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:24 AM »
Here's a shot of a fully fermented (48h) dough ball from the other weekend immediately prior to baking. This is 62% HR, 2% Ischia that was very active (blowing out the top of the jar). I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the below the surface bubbles on the raw dough and the resulting micro blisters post bake, but it would seem to make sense.

pizzapan