Author Topic: Crumb.... Failure.  (Read 524 times)

Offline Pizza-Dude

• I Love Pizza!
Crumb.... Failure.
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
I have been trying Craig's recipe for his dough. His pictures and everyone else's look amazing. Airy and light.

However, my crumb is pathetic. It is the consistency of sourdough-- dense with small holes... and it is extremely chewy.

I am a failure.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Crumb.... Failure.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
I have been trying Craig's recipe for his dough. His pictures and everyone else's look amazing. Airy and light.

However, my crumb is pathetic. It is the consistency of sourdough-- dense with small holes... and it is extremely chewy.

I am a failure.

You might be a failure right at the moment but as soon as you make a really good pizza that will all be behind you.  You can make excellent pizza, you just have to keep trying. 

Do you think your starter is good and working right?  If not, that is a good place to start.  Make sure your starter is very active and has a good sour smell to it.  Once you are sure of your starter, feed it at the proper interval and then let it develop. for several hours. When it is very active, take the appropriate amount for the recipe, and mix it per Craig's instructions. Let it develop until you have the little holes at the bottom of your containers similar to what Craig's thread shows. 

When you get ready to make the pizzas remember to treat your dough as gently as you can.  You don't want to beat it up too much.  Take some photos of your next effort and post them, top and bottom shots, and a shot of a cut slice. Then people here will give you some advice on what you might do to make improvements. 

Remember, the fun is in the journey! 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »

I am a failure.

Want to take a guess at how many crappy pies I've made? Stick with it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »

6?   :)

Offline dineomite

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
tinroof,

Can you drive up there and help a brother out? I do agree, it sounds like a fermentation problem.

Pizza-Dude,

If anything, you can take solace in the fact that it sounds like you've got things to the point that the dough is extensible, you can launch, and cook a pie. In the beginning I had trouble even doing that.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
6?   :)
plus 2 calzone mislaunches.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
plus 2 calzone mislaunches.  ;)

Brutal  ;D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:19 AM »
Brutal  ;D

He's lying...never one... :-D

Pizza dude..You can't  have success unless you learn from your failures...Failure leads to success......  Unless your Craig of course ....A prodigal son of the pizza gods..... :P

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
He's lying...never one... :-D

Pizza dude..You can't  have success unless you learn from your failures...Failure leads to success......  Unless your Craig of course ....A prodigal son of the pizza gods..... :P

"He's not a machine, he's a man, he's a man!"  -Duke, Rocky IV
Josh

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
"He's not a machine, he's a man, he's a man!"  -Duke, Rocky IV

:-D

Offline moose13

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
Dude! Relax!
It's just pizza man. I bet none of your so called failures went straight to the trash can.
I know mine don't, they go right down the gullet with a tasty IPA.
I have yet to make the perfect pie, i think that is what most of us are after.
I do know one thing, EVERY time i make a batch of dough and a few pizzas i learn something.
Might be about the dough, might be about the sauce. Bake time or temp. The fun thing about this food is there are so many variables.
You could have the perfect dough recipe, perfect ferment etc. But cook it too hot, too cold, add too many toppings, stretch it too thin.
You get the point man. I guarantee nobody here (even Craig) jumped right in and made the perfect pie. Have fun with it.

Also, not every pie made by these guys is worthy of a photo and a post.
We all have our pies that are worth a picture, i promise the majority of mine never get their picture taken.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:28:42 PM by moose13 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
I guarantee nobody here (even Craig) jumped right in and made the perfect pie. Have fun with it.

Exactly my point.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
“Pizza making is a journey, not a destination.”
― (almost) Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jeff

Offline cupcake

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »

I was curious what the first pizza you posted on this forum looked like. The earliest I found was this one from 2009.

You are a God among men.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
I was curious what the first pizza you posted on this forum looked like. The earliest I found was this one from 2009.

You are a God among men.

You see... he's a freak!   :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »

You are a God among men.

I wouldn't go that far, but thank you very much nonetheless.

I had a few pies under my belt before I found this site.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »

You are a God among men.
Yep...even then he was burnin wood.  :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
Yep...even then he was burnin wood.  :D

Not long after after that bake, I replaced the foil with a small cast iron skillet. I put a lot of effort into maximizing and balancing the heat in my grill mod - almost as much effort as I put into my dough. I spent nearly as much on the high temp insulation and the stone as I did on the grill.

Last night, after looking at that picture I pulled out my old notebook. It's over 2" thick with every formula I tried over a period of several years (before a computer crash, there was a picture of every pie I made to go with the formulas), notes and menus from every NP place I visited, formulas from the internet, friends, people I talked to in pizzerias, scientific articles on sourdough, etc.

Good pizza, let alone great, doesn't just happen. It takes a lot of effort and perseverance. There are so many variables you should not expect that something that works well for one person will work as well for another straight off the bat. It's likely to be a good starting point however, but you will probably have to experiment and tweak a little or maybe even a lot to get things how you want them.
Pizza is not bread.