Author Topic: Pizza with Mmmph  (Read 26819 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Pizza with Mmmph
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my new experience with cake yeast on my LBE. I thought I'd post some pics from this weeks bake.

This week, I used 70% KABF and 30% Caputo. I could have reduced the hydration, because of the Caputo, but let it ride. Three hour room temp bulk rise, balled and planned on 36 hour fridge rise, but could not bake on Saturday, so I ended up with 60 hours in the refrigerator for a Sunday afternoon bake. The dough had spread out a bit in my Doughmate Artisan tray, and was bordering on overblown...Anyway the doughs were rather squarish to start the bake, so they finished squarish when done. Not the best looking pies I've made, but some of the tastiest!

Flour (100%):    977.08 g  |  34.46 oz | 2.15 lbs
Water (63%):    615.56 g  |  21.71 oz | 1.36 lbs
CY (.5%):    4.89 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs |
Salt (2.3%):    22.47 g | 0.79 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.03 tsp | 1.34 tbsp
Total (165.8%):   1620 g | 57.14 oz | 3.57 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   270 g | 9.52 oz | 0.6 lbs

Sadly, I ran out of gas after the fourth pie, so here's the four I baked today.

Pie Pics
1. White pie. Truffled mushrooms with Asiago Vecchio, with a swirl of Aleppo chili oil. Grana Padano finish.
2. Margherita
3. Homemade fennel sausage, with red onion, fiore di latte. Grana Padano finish.
4. Truffled mushrooms, with provolone piccante on F.Berrio olive oil
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza with Mmmph
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
Pics of my set-up:

1. LBE Setup
2. Pizza stone.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Mmmph,

Great job with the pizzas. They look superb.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
Mmmph, very nice job on the pizzas and pictures.   Thanks for also posting the recipe you used as well.

Are you using any type of heat deflectors or additional stones under your hearth?   Where did you buy the stone?  I'm assuming it was already cut and you didn't have to cut it yourself.

Chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
Mmmph,

I can imagine how tasty your pies were with the longer ferment.  Your pies also look good.   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, all....

@Chau: For a heat deflector, I use an 10 inch old round cast iron griddle with the handle hacksawed off. It's placed on the charcoal grate directly above the Bayou Kitchen SP-10 burner. The stone I bought from amazon.com. It's an Old Stone baking stone 20.5x16x.75 in. Funny thing, though, I don't see that stone on amazon.com anymore. The carry "The Grilled Pizza Stone" which looks identical.

The stone rests on 4 squashed balls of heavy-duty aluminum foil on top of the grill. My dome is similar to yours and jasonmolinari's.

To bake, I  try to start the pies in with the stone in the low 600's F, because as soon as I place one on the stone, I crank the gas wide-open. My guests say it sounds like a jet engine. I lay the pies on the stone with a perforated peel, to help eliminate excess flour. I then use an aluminum pizza tray to turn the pie for more even baking....My technique is like the villa roma youtube video. I go 40 seconds, then turn, wait 15, turn wait 15 and so on. My pies are 1:40-2:10.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »
Six pies this Sunday. All on the LBE...All made with my sourdough creation, Moby.
Named after Herman Melville's antagonist, Moby Dick, the white whale, who is a symbol for many things, including nature and those elements of life that are out of human control.

I've been searching for the white whale of sourdough for years. I've tried buying cultures, and making my own...Then I tried the Silverton method this winter, and (like Ahab) found that thing I've been looking for. Mmmm, Moby Pies!

16 hour room temp bulk rise, 24 hr refrigerated ball rise, 2.5 hour wake, then bake on my LBE. No commercial yeast at all.

I also created Umami Bomb #1...After reading about http://www.amazon.com/Taste-No-5-Umami-Paste-3pk/dp/B003XKKCO8/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Umami Bomb #1 is made of a secret blend of tomato paste, shiitake and porcini mushrooms, kalamata olives, garlic, parmigiano reggiano, asiago vecchio, vincotto, white wine, anchovy paste, olive oil, salt, and sugar. All blended together into a squeezeable paste. Squisito!

#1: Truffled mushroom, red onion, fiore di latte
#2: Asparagus, asiago, aleppo chili oil, Umami Bomb #1
#3: Filetti with smoked mozz, fiore di latte, Umami Bomb #1, finished with fresh chives.
#4: Asparagus, smoked mozz, red onion, Umami Bomb #1 (Ack...Got stuck on the peel a little.)
#5: Margharita, fiore di latte, smoked mozz, basil, finshed with Grana Padano
#6: Asparagus, asiago, Umami Bomb #1

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
#7: Upskirt #1
#8  Upskirt #2

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
Those........................... are gorgeous!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
Mmmph,

Wow, they sure are some beautiful pies!  :)  Great job.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
Sorry...Forgot this. 270g dough balls w/2% waste.

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):    999.64 g  |  35.26 oz | 2.2 lbs
Water (63%):    629.77 g  |  22.21 oz | 1.39 lbs
Salt (2.3%):    22.99 g | 0.81 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.12 tsp | 1.37 tbsp
Total (165.3%):   1652.4 g | 58.29 oz | 3.64 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   275.4 g | 9.71 oz | 0.61 lbs

Preferment:
Flour:    82.62 g | 2.91 oz | 0.18 lbs
Water:    82.62 g | 2.91 oz | 0.18 lbs
Total:    165.24 g | 5.83 oz | 0.36 lbs

Final Dough:
Flour:    917.02 g | 32.35 oz | 2.02 lbs
Water:    547.15 g | 19.3 oz | 1.21 lbs
Salt:            22.99 g | 0.81 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.12 tsp | 1.37 tbsp
Preferment: 165.24 g | 5.83 oz | 0.36 lbs
Total:    1652.4 g | 58.29 oz | 3.64 lbs  | TF = N/A

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
Your Moby pies are truly stunning! They look incredible; the colors just pop, you got some nice leoparding going on, and the char is beautiful. I'd love to see the crumb next time. You also have some really interesting and exciting flavors going on that I have not seen before. If you would to share the secret recipe for your Umami Bomb#1, I'd love to try it.

Thank you very much for posting.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
Very Nice Mmmph.  Can you tell me how your current (favorite) starter "moby" differs from others you have tried in the past?  How is the leavening effect and flavor profile different? 

Also, this is the 2nd time I've read of umami and I'm very curious now.  How do you use it?  Do you just squirt drops of it here and there or is it used inplace of a sauce? 

Thx,
Chau

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words....

@Ron; Your LBE pies are looking great...and with WW flour. Cool.

@Craig; the crumb as beautiful, light and picture perfect. I always ask my guests to judge my pies by the crust. One of them held up their slice to show me the crumb and said, "That's the money shot! He then ate it."

We're always busy eating the pies and forget some shots.

Your efforts are inspiring... all of your food.

@Norma; Your pies are beautiful. The Pizzarium thread is amazing. I actually use one of your Pizzarim crumb shots as my iPhone background. See below.

@Chau: Dude, your pies are completely droolworthy!

Moby has a great smell...Especially the hootch on top. It's has great oven spring and a light crumb. The flavor is mild, but with a bit of tang. My favorite aspect of this culture is it's extensibility. Too often, the cultures I've used are rather tight and don't want to open up. Or they're on the other end of that spectrum, and they have too much acid. The gluten starts to break down, leaving me with skins that tear too easily when trying to open them up.

Moby acts more like commercial yeasted dough, which I still prefer to bake, and eat.

Umami Bomb #1; With white pies, I draw a spiral on the skin, then top from there. On red pies, I sauce first, then draw the spiral. I generally go around three times from the cornicione.

I found a piece of clipart that sort of shows the pattern. See below.

I'll gladly post the Umami Bomb #1 recipe, once I type it up. It's all in a scrawl on looseleaf paper right now...But to which forum topic does it belong??

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
I'll gladly post the Umami Bomb #1 recipe, once I type it up. It's all in a scrawl on looseleaf paper right now...But to which forum topic does it belong??

Right here in this thread is fine, or maybe start a new thread in "Off Topic Foods." If you put it someplace other than here, please drop a note here telling us where to look for it.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
The idea of an umami bomb sounds really esoteric but at the same time I could see it becoming really addictive!  Looking forward to it. 

Chau

Offline sbxstr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Mmmph, I wonder if you would share design details of your LBE with me. I'd like to make one. I have a spare kettle down in the cellar. Your pies look great!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
Mmmph, I am also interested in your umami paste as I make a similar sauce I believe. Umami is the 5th. taste in Japanese meaning savory with sweet, sour, bitter and salty the most commonly known tastes. MSG was invented to create this taste. My experiments were inspired by a Japanese cookbook's reference which lead me to this recipe for ketchup.        
   http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Umami-Ketchup                                                                                                                                                    which I changed to suit what I have available to me and my taste. I added dried mushrooms and Maggi sauce and used roasted tomato, seaweed........closer to this
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/spicy-umami-ketchup-recipe.html
Don
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:07:37 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
Man, those are some sexy looking pies! Fantastic work.

Ran a couple of those photos through the Color Correction program and put the requisite depth-of-field blur on one as well.

This just in:

Sir, I must plead for you to hear me out. Anti grill agents Villa Roma, Jackie Tran, an even more anonymous person going by the code name "Mmmph" and similar malcontents are polluting your judgment with these pictures...which are fabrications and outright propaganda.  Please kind sir, refrain from succumbing to said propaganda, stop looking out of the window at me and step away from the hacksaw.

I look forward to being filled with charcoal and grilling a fish for you this summer. That is all and thank you for your consideration and ongoing generosity.

Sincerely,
Your pal Weber.

:)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan