Author Topic: Who Likes Meatballs On Their Pizza as a Topping???  (Read 3046 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Who Likes Meatballs On Their Pizza as a Topping???
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:29 AM »
I have never had meatballs on my pizza, it just didn't sound right. I like pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Canadian Bacon, even bacon, you know traditional standard stuff.  Lately I have been on a meatball kick and made some good ones for the first time the other day and loved it.  I plan on putting some on the next pizza I make along with pepperoni.  Just curious if you like meatballs on your pizza?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Who Likes Meatballs On Their Pizza as a Topping???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:42 AM »
i like a meatball pizza with mozz and romano, and use an 'al-dente marinara sauce'.  quite good, like a spaghetti pizza
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
It's good, really good.   :chef:

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »
Do you guys make your own meatballs or do you buy pre-made?

I make my own, well I did try in the past and it was not so good but this time turned out very good. 

Admittedly I used Alton Brown's recipe and it worked!  I did alter it a bit.  I hate spinach (sorry Popeye!) so I excluded that.  I also used 1 lb of beef and 1/2 lb of pork rather than 1/2 lb of each pork, lamb, and beef. I did not have access to ground lamb so I upped the beef.  Was gonna use 3/4 each of pork and beef but just made life easier and made it 1 lb beef and 1/2 lb of pork.  I think next time I'll use all beef and see how it taste.

Any how, I'm gonna make more meat balls this week then when I make a pizza later this week I'll either cut them into pieces and put them on the pizza or I'll break them up in the mini-food processor and put it on top.  I bet it will be good.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »
The meatball pizzas I had in NY,they were sliced meatball slices that were very thin,almost pepperoni thin,on top of the pies.

They were really good.They are hard to make if you use home made meatballs.You may need to crumble them up like sausage and spread around on the pie.Whichever way you try,it should taste great!
 :pizza:

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:29:06 AM »
Here is a picture of one that looks very well made.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1187714682/gallery_21337_4951_124167.jpg
-Bill

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »
I have pretty strong feelings about meatballs on pizza.   Meatballs do NOT go with traditional pizza sauce.  Pizza sauce is about bright fresh uncooked flavors. Meatballs belong with muted sweet onion-y long cooked pasta sauce. Once you start putting pasta sauce on pizza, it's pretty much California Pizza Kitchen time- which, there's nothing wrong with... once in a while. So I will put meatballs and pasta sauce on a pizza, but never more than a few times a year- as a change of pace.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »
I agree with @scott123, meatballs on a pizza just don't do it for me. For that matter, I've also tried to do a Philly cheesesteak pie and didn't care for steak on pizza. I'll stick with good Italian sausage or soppressata.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
I have pretty strong feelings about meatballs on pizza.   Meatballs do NOT go with traditional pizza sauce.  Pizza sauce is about bright fresh uncooked flavors. Meatballs belong with muted sweet onion-y long cooked pasta sauce. Once you start putting pasta sauce on pizza, it's pretty much California Pizza Kitchen time- which, there's nothing wrong with... once in a while. So I will put meatballs and pasta sauce on a pizza, but never more than a few times a year- as a change of pace.

Thats interesting and makes a lot of sense.That said,I grew up on NY pizza and the meatball pies always had the same sauce as the rest of the other pizzas.Never noticed any flavor problems with them making it that way.
 :)

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
My favorite way to eat meatballs on pizza is using a white sauce, grated romano cheeses and light sprinkling of mozzarella....This also works well on pasta.

John

Offline Guts

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
here's my entry for meatball pizza just your basic cheese pizza with meatballs. Nothing fancy.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Great looking pizza Guts.  That's exactly how I like using meatballs.  Occassionally I will also top with dallops of garlic mashed potatoes!  Yumm.... :chef:

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
Guts, how did you like the taste of it?

Offline Guts

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
Guts, how did you like the taste of it?

It tasted like meatballs on pizza. Seriously I put some Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes on it and wasn't bad. It all depends on your meatballs if you have bland meatballs it's not so great. These meatballs were store-bought at a restaurant supply, and they were so-so not as good as homemade. I've even made pizza with leftover meatloaf on it, and it was very very good, in fact I like the meatloaf on the pizza over the meatballs.

Here's one I made with some leftover ham after last Easter. I just cut the ham off the bone and put it in the meat grinder. Nothing fancy but I actually liked it. The ground ham actually makes a very good sandwich with some mayonnaise and mustard and maybe some onion. So this pizza dough sauce, mozzarella ground ham and onion. It was a damn good pizza.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:47:00 PM by Guts »
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
Meatballs work real well in a calzone, the long simmered sauce from the meatballs is perfect for dipping the calzone pieces into.

Mangiare,

Ron

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
As long as the meatballs are fresh the pie comes out fantastic, one of my top favorite toppings. I make the meatballs myself because that's always the best way.

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
I never thought meatballs on a pizza would be such a divisive topic  :-D

I make it just like any other pizza, only instead of say... pepperoni, I just use some sliced meatballs. Really, there's nothing not to like about it!

A recent example:

http://s-hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/172820_1751286654766_1016862963_31926247_427511_o.jpg

__Jason

pizzapan