Author Topic: Hisanori Yamamoto's pizzeria in Tokyo  (Read 2304 times)

Offline new2dough

Hisanori Yamamoto's pizzeria in Tokyo
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
So I had an opportunity to visit Mr Yamamoto's famous pizzeria in Tokyo.

Mr Yamamoto has won the world pizza making competitions, held in Italy, thus his pizzas are ISO-certified.
The restaurant is located in Nakameguro, not far from Shibuya. When you step inside, you get visually overwhelmed with all the imported Italian details such as tiles, flour bags stacked here and there, stacks of pizza cartons, oven... you get my idea.
The walls were wallpapered with photographs (showing VIP's, and famous people who have visited his restaurant), diplomas and such.

The restaurant could hold ~50 guests at one sitting and it was full just half an hour after opening hours.
Needless to say, Mr Yamamoto was busy making pizzas and seemed to enjoy his craft.

So far so good.

So we ordered some pizzas and we all held our hopes high.

I ordered the Margherita, the other folks ordered this and that (including pasta) + a special pizza with four (or five) different cheese.
Pizzas were pricey, ~ 20$ for the Margherita.

My impression of the Margherita - The crust was soft. Tasted like bread, felt like bread and smelled like bread. Felt very dry.
There were no crunchy experience to it at all.
I expected the rim's surface to have some crispy experience to it but again, there was none of that.
Way too much tomato sauce IMO.
Mozzarella was good. Could use some salt to add some flavor to the total experience.
The slices (all pizzas) drooped. I could not fold and hold the slice without doing some acrobatic stunts, and these pizzas were eaten right out from the oven.
The pizza with 4 (or 5?) cheeze was tasty. Not the crust but the topping.

When we were done, the waiters came promptly to our table and removed the plates, and gave us the bill.
It was clear this restaurant is not intended for people who wants to spend 1-2 hours eating, chatting and relaxing some after the meal. It sort of felt like ;
"Hey, you got the ISO-certified pizza so kindly vacate your seat."

I would give this pizza experience a 4 out of 10. 2 points for the pizza and 2 points for the crafty and inspiring interior.
Sorry to say that, and I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings here since I know many of you guys enjoy the Neapolitan style pizza. But to be honest, I think your pizzas (neapolitan-NY-style) would taste way better than the ones I had.
Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Some pics:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:48:57 PM by new2dough »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Hisanori Yamamoto's pizzeria in Tokyo
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »

"Hey, you got the ISO-certified pizza so kindly vacate your seat."

I've never heard of ISO-certified pizzas. Can you tell me more? Thanks.

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »
that pizza looks very good.
pizza, pizza, pizza

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
That type of pizza is generally eaten with knife and fork. I found this for what it's worth: http://www.lapizzapiuuno.it/iso9001-eng.html
Looked good to me also.
Don

Offline new2dough

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
I've never heard of ISO-certified pizzas. Can you tell me more? Thanks.

Edit: the link seems to have nothing to do with the ISO certification I was talking about, so it has been removed.

Mr. Yamamoto had a ISO certification on display near the counter. Didn't study it but saw the bold letter ISO xx.
I've read somewhere that Italy has had their pizzas ISO-certified.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:39:01 PM by new2dough »

Offline new2dough

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »
That type of pizza is generally eaten with knife and fork. I found this for what it's worth: http://www.lapizzapiuuno.it/iso9001-eng.html
Looked good to me also.
Don

Ok, that explains the knife and fork that were given to us. ^^

Thanks for the link. Perhaps that's the one.

Offline new2dough

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
that pizza looks very good.

I do agree with you!

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
A Wiki link stating the same thing.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
Mr. Yamamoto had a ISO certification on display near the counter. Didn't study it but saw the bold letter ISO xx.
I've read somewhere that Italy has had their pizzas ISO-certified.

A restaurant could be ISO-certified, but that would apply to their business practices, not their food prep. Perhaps you are thinking of the DOC - denomination of controlled origin that has been established for verace pizza napoletana.  In my experience, this is mainly a marketing device and no indication of pizza quality.

Offline new2dough

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »
A restaurant could be ISO-certified, but that would apply to their business practices, not their food prep. Perhaps you are thinking of the DOC - denomination of controlled origin that has been established for verace pizza napoletana.  In my experience, this is mainly a marketing device and no indication of pizza quality.

You're probably right Bill. I might've confused this together with something I read about a while ago about Italian government (?) wanting to achieve certifications for their traditional pizzas.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:25 AM »
N2D - thanks for the review and write up.  IMO that is a nice looking NP pie -one of the better ones I've seen.  Looks like it would eat well.  It's definitely traditional and different from a Neo-Neoapolitan or a NY-elite.   

chau

Offline new2dough

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:24:29 AM »
N2D - thanks for the review and write up.  IMO that is a nice looking NP pie -one of the better ones I've seen.  Looks like it would eat well.  It's definitely traditional and different from a Neo-Neoapolitan or a NY-elite.   

chau

JT - you're welcome!
Yes, the pies looked excellent. Perhaps it's the taste I have to get used to.
And not having too high expectations. For me it was definitely a 'the-naked-emperor' moment.

Offline Creeper

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
That pie looks straight out of Naples.

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
Nice review, that pizza looks fantastic.