Author Topic: NY pizza  (Read 1600 times)

Offline doughboy55

NY pizza
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
Hey everyone i will be venturing into New York next week, what are your favorite pizzeria's? I'm trying to show my brother a good time and a good pizza or any other recommendations other than pizza are welcome as well.

Offline jonesyb

Re: NY pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
I've only been to John's on Bleecker Street. It was good, and lots of history attached to it but there are loads more as I'm sure you'll find out in this thread soon enough.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Hey everyone i will be venturing into New York next week, what are your favorite pizzeria's? I'm trying to show my brother a good time and a good pizza or any other recommendations other than pizza are welcome as well.

doughboy55,

I don't know if you are interested in looking at the thread that I asked the same question, but many members gave me ideas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.msg117621.html#msg117621

I didn't get to try a lot of pizzas in a one day trip, but my favorite pizza was at Keste's.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »
Thanks again Norma.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
I didn't get to try a lot of pizzas in a one day trip, but my favorite pizza was at Keste's.

Norma

I was just in Raleigh and searched out a few pizza places and decided to try one out.  Turns out I made a great choice as they had amazing pizza, coming out in just under 3 minutes.  They family run place was very friendly and they talked to me about their process, ingredients, etc as long as customer flow would allow, which wasn't much considering the crowd on a Tuesday night....point of the post is when they were doing their research, Keste's was number one on their list!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I was just in Raleigh and searched out a few pizza places and decided to try one out.  Turns out I made a great choice as they had amazing pizza, coming out in just under 3 minutes.  They family run place was very friendly and they talked to me about their process, ingredients, etc as long as customer flow would allow, which wasn't much considering the crowd on a Tuesday night....point of the post is when they were doing their research, Keste's was number one on their list!

Mark,

That is interesting when they were doing their research that Keste's was number one on their list.  I really loved Keste's pizza and Roberto was so friendly also.  I guess you also found a lot of information from talking to the owners of the pizzeria in Raleigh.  I really would like to talk to more owners of pizzerias in New York someday.

Norma

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
It was funny Norma...the place was pretty empty when I got there but quickly filled up as I was walking back and forth between my table and the glass-walled prep/oven area....the owner finally approached me when she saw me timing the pies from my table :D

She then invited me over to watch the process, talk to her son and discuss their pizza in general....even got confirmation on what I suspected was their salt level  :chef:

Mark

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »
It was funny Norma...the place was pretty empty when I got there but quickly filled up as I was walking back and forth between my table and the glass-walled prep/oven area....the owner finally approached me when she saw me timing the pies from my table :D

She then invited me over to watch the process, talk to her son and discuss their pizza in general....even got confirmation on what I suspected was their salt level  :chef:

Mark

Mark,

You are getting to be quite the detective.  8)  I bet that was fun watching the process and discussing the pizza.  Maybe doughboy55 can get some questions ready if he also gets to talk to owners of pizzerias in NY.   8) 

Norma

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
If anyone wants me to ask any questions just let me know, i will gladly ask.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Eat at Joe's Pizza in Greenwich Village was recently reviewed at Slice and had some good comments connected to it.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/famous-joes-pizza-greenwich-village-manhattan-nyc.html#continued
Let them eat pizza.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

nonnas in nanuet NY.  bout 25 mins north of nyc, in rockford county

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/237/1500307/restaurant/New-York-State/Nonnas-Brick-Oven-Pizzeria-and-Restaurant-Nanuet
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline jpc

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
nonnas in nanuet NY.  bout 25 mins north of nyc, in rockford county

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/237/1500307/restaurant/New-York-State/Nonnas-Brick-Oven-Pizzeria-and-Restaurant-Nanuet

Rockland, not Rockford.  Allow a bit longer than 25 minutes with traffic.

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
Eat at Joe's Pizza in Greenwich Village was recently reviewed at Slice and had some good comments connected to it.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/famous-joes-pizza-greenwich-village-manhattan-nyc.html#continued

Hey, I thought Joe's had slipped a bit in quality over the years, but those slices look pretty good.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
Hey, I thought Joe's had slipped a bit in quality over the years, but those slices look pretty good.

Scott,

Maybe when I was at Joe's they had a problem (with their dough) that day, but the slice I had sure wasn't good.

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »
Thanks, Norma. Perhaps it's a quality control/hit and miss kind of thing.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
Thanks, Norma. Perhaps it's a quality control/hit and miss kind of thing.

Scott,

I think most pizzerias can have good and bad days.  I know my one local pizzeria man told me sometimes he even has trouble with his dough and he has been making dough for a long while.

Maybe I just hit Joe's on a bad day.

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
joes, keste, and johns are all within a 5 minute walk from each other.    I would get a small pizza or slice from each.    Its perfect because they represent some of the best examples of the three most popular styles of pizza in NYC,    Mid temp coal oven pizza,  High temp neapolitan pizza, and normal temp NY street pizza.   Good luck!

If you want just one or two more stops Motorino and Co. are amazing too.    
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:20:53 AM by scott r »

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
joes, keste, and johns are all within a 5 minute walk from each other.    I would get a small pizza or slice from each.    Its perfect because they represent some of the best examples of the three most popular styles of pizza in NYC,    Mid temp coal oven pizza,  High temp neapolitan pizza, and normal temp NY street pizza.   Good luck!

If you want just one or two more stops Motorino and Co. are amazing too.    
Alright thanks good idea, a slice from each place sounds like a fantastic idea.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Alright thanks good idea, a slice from each place sounds like a fantastic idea.

doughboy55,

I think you will find that you will not always be able to buy just a single slice.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 01:43:20 AM »
keste- 12 inch pizza, joes- slice, johns- 14 inch pizza.