Author Topic: caciocavallo cheese  (Read 1815 times)

Offline cava

• I Love Pizza!
caciocavallo cheese
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:21:30 PM »
Hi fellow pizza freaks!  I'm new to the site and I've learned quite a bit in just a few days.
Recently I bought a frozen pizza from Aldi's.  I don't usually buy frozen but since this one was from Italy and baked in a wood fired oven I thought I'd give it a try.The crust was quite nice tho bland, there was not nearly enough sauce BUT the cheese was fantastic.  The cheese was a mixture of mozzarella, caciocavallo and edam.
Has anyone had any experience with caciocavallo? 
I live close to Pittsburgh so I guess I'll take a trip to  the Strip and try and run it down.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 11:29:10 PM by cava »

Offline cava

• I Love Pizza!
Re: caciocavallo cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:28:14 PM »

I did an internet search and found this description of  caciocavallo - cava

"Caciocavallo cheese" selling

It is produced using the whole milk of the cows raised in grazing fields. The caciocavallo is a typical Italian cheese; the most famous is that one produced in Sicily in the area of Palermo or of Ragusa (caciocavallo ragusano). It is still handmade using ancient methods. The milk, rich in cream, is carried, soon after the milking, to the cheese factories where it is worked.
The cows, that give the milk, live in their natural state in grazing fields rich in shrubs and brushwood plants. So the caciocavallo cheese, with its flavour and scent, reveals the pasture where the cows  raised

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: caciocavallo cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:16:08 PM »
Caciocavallo can be made also from "Bufala" milk. It is made with the same process as mozzarella (pasta filata process), but is then left to mature and dry. Depending on how mature/dry it is, can be used in slice or greated.
It was actually (in the Bufala milk form) one of the first cheeses added greated on pizza.

Also famous id the "Caciocavallo Podolico" from Campania, or the similar Provolone del Monaco.

pizzapan