Author Topic: Prosciutto, Fontina & Arugula Stromboli with Spicy San Marzano Tomato Sauce  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Vindii

Made this for lunch today.  Recipe was out of the BGE Cookbook.  I thought it was very good.  The wife thought it was ok.  She doesn’t care for prosciutto though.

Offline Vindii

More pics

Offline Vindii

Nobody likes Strombolis?

Offline Jackie Tran

Not really - just kidding.  ;D  Looks fabulous.  I posted a reply from my cell phone the other day but i guess it didn't go through.   Looks great! 

Chau

Offline scott123

My dog ate my reply  ;D

Seriously, though, even though I'm not one for strombolis, yours looks quite spectacular. That's gotta be really difficult to master.

Offline Vindii

Thanks for the comments guys.  This was the first stromboli I made and it came out great.

Offline Jackie Tran

As soon as I get tired of making pizza, I'll start making strombolis. ;)

Offline TXCraig1

As soon as I get tired of making pizza, I'll start making strombolis. ;)

I'm thinking I won't hold my breath for that...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Well Vindii it took a while. Ever since your post, stromboli has been on my mind. Finally got around to it. Pepperoni an provolone. It was really good and I have to make them more often. Thanks for getting me back in that groove.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
APizza Details Dough +... on that stromboli  please, looks great !we all love pepperoni!  :P
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Well the recipe for the dough is from here by Peter Reinhart.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pizza-dough.aspx

This is what I used and is pretty close to half the recipe:
227 gr KAAP
156 gr water
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 + 1/8 tsp IDY
3/4 tbs olive oil
     1 dough ball at 394 gr

I did not use a mixer. With all the talk about stretch and fold on the forum, I gave that a try. After the first mix by hand I did a stretch and fold every half hour until I got to 5 or 6. Lost count. The dough was as good as you would want it by then. 24 hours retard. 2 hours warm up. I then stretched it into a rectangle, no rolling pin. Laid out the pepperoni and cheese and rolled it up. While the oven was warming (375 F) the stromboli sat for 45 minutes. At that time I slashed it and brushed it with egg. Sesame seed topped that. Cooking time about 28 minutes with one 180 degree turn half way through.

That's about it. Believe me it's a very good dough. As Peter said it's versatile and I will try it for pizza and calzone as suggested.