Author Topic: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco  (Read 16354 times)

Offline andyt

Re: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
Norma

It is so easy to make that some people wait and make it after midnight.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/Smileys/enhanced/grin.gif

andyt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Good luck with the cheese! I'd like to see how it goes.. I need to get some rennet. After reading the forum last might I made a focaccia at midnight! I used cottage chees as that was all I had and I thought... not good enough, gotta get the right cheese!  You can convert  volume here:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/ml/to/oz

Norma

It is so easy to make that some people wait and make it after midnight.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/Smileys/enhanced/grin.gif

andyt

Yep andyt, that was synaesthesia!  Sure is more dedicated than me in attempting this.   ;D :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
If anyone is interested this is where I started trying to make the Stracchino cheese.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25547.0.html

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »
I think this is the recipe for this type of focaccia from Jeffery Steingarten on this bloggers post.

http://poetsthoughts.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/focaccia-col-farmaggio-di-recco/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »
I followed Jeffrey Steingarten's recipe for the focaccia di recco late last evening and mixed in the Kitchen Aid mixer.  The dough was very soft and it looked like it turned out well, but I still have no idea if it will be okay to make a focaccia today.  I would think the gluten would have formed more while it cold fermented in the fridge until today.  I wish I could have tried the dough balls out last evening, but it was too late.  Does anyone know about a dough like this if it can be cold fermented, even if there is no yeast in the dough?  ???  Maybe my brain was too tired to think this about that.  :-D  I used the Mondako flour because I didn't have enough of the King Arthur KAAP and KABF at home when I went to mix.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Stretching technique:

Roll out to as thin as you get  it, then flour the flattened dough, make fists with both hands and as if punching upwards to support the dough. Spin slowly and stretch PATIENTLY with your fists at near the circumference of the dough. When you get it to ROUGHLY the size of your olive oiled pan, toss it over the pan and stretch it to meet the edges of the pan. I usually pull over the pan. Fill with cheese, do another to top the focaccia.

Again, roughly the size of the pan and you can always stretch it to the edges of the pan and press to seal. Run rolling pin on the edge to trim off the dough.

What do I do with the cut off dough? (I hate to waste!!)

I roll it out to playing card thickness , spread some fresh spinach, add some feta cheese to half of the size of the roilled dough, then fold it over and pan fry over a slow heat. The Turks brush butter over this, I just use  some olive oil because it is easier to reach. I suppose I am lazy.... Sometimes I add some ham or minced lamp. Serve with wedge of lemon.    Gözleme!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Stretching technique:

Roll out to as thin as you get  it, then flour the flattened dough, make fists with both hands and as if punching upwards to support the dough. Spin slowly and stretch PATIENTLY with your fists at near the circumference of the dough. When you get it to ROUGHLY the size of your olive oiled pan, toss it over the pan and stretch it to meet the edges of the pan. I usually pull over the pan. Fill with cheese, do another to top the focaccia.

Again, roughly the size of the pan and you can always stretch it to the edges of the pan and press to seal. Run rolling pin on the edge to trim off the dough.

What do I do with the cut off dough? (I hate to waste!!)

I roll it out to playing card thickness , spread some fresh spinach, add some feta cheese to half of the size of the roilled dough, then fold it over and pan fry over a slow heat. The Turks brush butter over this, I just use  some olive oil because it is easier to reach. I suppose I am lazy.... Sometimes I add some ham or minced lamp. Serve with wedge of lemon.    Gözleme!!!

synaesthesia,

Thanks for telling your stretching techniques and the other things you do.  Your ideas for the leftover dough are good.  I don't like to waste dough either, but today I did pitch what dough was leftover.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
This is how my next attempt at a focaccia di recco yesterday went using Jeffrey Steingarten's recipe.   I have no idea if the cold ferment somehow changed how this dough baked or if since I didn't have enough decent olive oil at market to brush the focaccia di recco if that changed the top crust of the focaccia or not.  The bottom and top crust were very thin, but there wasn't the melt in your mouth part when the foccacia crusts were baked.  The Stracchino cheese I attempted to make did melt well, tasted well on this focaccia, and didn't oil off though when the focaccia de recco was baked.  At least Steve did like the Stracchino cheese I attempted.  I also forgot to print out how to roll off this top from the bottom dough and since I haven't made this type of pizza for a long while didn't recall how to do that.  I know I probably didn't use the best type of pan to bake this focaccia in either, but that was the only bigger round pan I had at market.

I did roll the dough ball out to about 14” and then hand stretched the skin.  First the dough ball was rolled into an oval and then into a circle.  It can be seen how easily the skin then opened to a very thin skin with no tears.  The other part I wonder about is that there was no stretch back when rolling out this skin and I wonder why that was, when I recall there was a fair amount of stretch back when using Peter Reinhart's recipe for this type of focaccia.  I threw the leftover parts of this dough away, because I wasn't satisfied how these two crusts were in terms of flakiness.  From what I recall from before when using Peter Reinhart's recipe is that the crusts are about like phyllo dough when baked.  I really don't know either if using the Mondako flour was the best flour either for this type of pizza.  I do wish though that all pizza dough balls were this easy to open.  ;D

Don't mind the glove I had on (which I don't normally use), because I did slice my one finger pretty bad when I was slicing a tomato earlier in the day.  What a mess that was.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
Norma

Offline andyt

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
Norma

It looks fantastic, you really did a professional job.

andyt

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
Congrats Norma. It's just past midnight here and thankfully I just had a sandwich for late night snack otherwise I'd be making one.....!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
It looks nice and light and the bake was very even an balanced(top to bottom)....good work there Norma. I hope you try another one because I believe you can get that dough dialed in now.  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
Norma

It looks fantastic, you really did a professional job.

andyt

abdyt,

Thanks! I should have used a different size pan and how I cut the extra dough off wasn't right.  I will be making another attempt, but am deciding what recipe to try, or if I should try another flour or blend or flours.  I also have to purchase a more expensive olive oil.

I did really like how this dough really stretched and stretched with no tears though.  That was the fun part.  ;D I had some Amish ladies that stopped and watched and they were interested in how much that dough stretched. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »
Congrats Norma. It's just past midnight here and thankfully I just had a sandwich for late night snack otherwise I'd be making one.....!

synesthesia,

I am not there yet, but thanks for the congrats.  When you get one thing right another thing seems to stand in the way.  Lol, about you just having a sandwich, or else you would be trying another one.  Maybe you will be the one to be successful all the way around.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »
It looks nice and light and the bake was very even an balanced(top to bottom)....good work there Norma. I hope you try another one because I believe you can get that dough dialed in now.  :chef:

Bob

Bob,

It was nice and light and the top and the bottom baked okay, but I still have more thinking to do on what to try next. Flakiness was the problem again.  I guess you recall about that dang flakiness issue on the one other thread.  ;D  Thanks for the kind words and I also hope I can get things dialed in. 

Norma

Offline andyt

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
Norma

dmaxdmax said in reply 26 that said  "plus quite a bit of olive oil which he (Steingarten) says is necessary for extensibility".  I think you got great stretch, judging by your photo but maybe at the expense of the flaky texture you said you achieved with Reinhart's dough, with no olive oil.  Reinhart's dough has a tendency to shrink when stretching.

Ev, reply 26 made a pie that looks flaky with the Reinhart recipe.  I thought yours did not look flaky, more bread like, because of the olive oil?.

andyt

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:43 PM »
Hi Andy

I have travelled enough around the world to come to the conclusion that whilst there is an authentic recipe somewhere, there are variations and sometimes far away you get a variation which comes into its own. 'American' NY style pizza is one such, so I have no qualms how anyone wishes to cook their food. Laksa in Australia has become an Australian thing in its own right due to the tastes here, and the laksa is very good, very tasty, nutritious, full of chunky meat or seafood ( the Asian varieties give you maybe a couple of slithers of flesh)  but is not remotely close to SE Asian varieties, of which there are a few as well.

I agree Norma's FdR looks a little on the shortcrust pastry side but I bet it is delicious - she has the right cheese! It doesn't matter, you can get to Recco and they'd still be quarrelling about it. BTW, I just got Reinhardt's book in the post yesterday, American Pie, and read the first bits in the front... he does not mention olive oil in FdR dough... not sure if he does in the back of the book, I haven't looked.

However, If any one wants the DOP version of the recipe, here it is:

from  http://www.focacciadirecco.it/index.php/en/la-focaccia/metodo-di-produzione.html

(per una teglia di “Focaccia di Recco col formaggio”diametro cm 60 da 10 porzioni circa)
500 gr. di Farina di grano tenero tipo “00” di forza o in alternativa farina tipo “Manitoba”.
50 gr. di olio extra vergine d’oliva italiano
Acqua naturale
Sale fino
1 kg. di Formaggio fresco L.L.T. (prodotto con latte ligure tracciato).

500 g, i.e. 17.64 ounces of flour "00", or Manitoba flour
50g extra virgin olive oil, i.e. 1.764 ounces (weight)
water
fine salt
1 kg, or 35.27 ounces of cheese, fresh from the tired cows of liguria.

I am generous with my olive oil, anywhere from 1/10th to 1/5th weight ratio of oil to flour is fine for me (as long as you don't over do it!) , I started with the strict recipe but now do it by eye. The oil gives it that flaky quality, like butter gives croissant a flaky quality.
I could never make Indian roti pratas properly for years , and now after making Fdr for about a year now, I can get my roti to be gossamer thin and flaky (ghee rather than olive oil is preferred). Indian flatbread technique sorted via Italia. As you say in America, 'go figure!'

Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:17:10 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
Norma

dmaxdmax said in reply 26 that said  "plus quite a bit of olive oil which he (Steingarten) says is necessary for extensibility".  I think you got great stretch, judging by your photo but maybe at the expense of the flaky texture you said you achieved with Reinhart's dough, with no olive oil.  Reinhart's dough has a tendency to shrink when stretching.

Ev, reply 26 made a pie that looks flaky with the Reinhart recipe.  I thought yours did not look flaky, more bread like, because of the olive oil?.

andyt

andyt,

I see that Jeffrey Steingarten says if you add a tablespoon or two of additional love oil to the dough, It will become much easier to stretch when making it, but would be more fragile.  I am not sure I understand that part, because my dough was very easy to stretch when only using Ľ cup plus 1 T extra-virgin olive oil.  I don't know if me letting the dough cold ferment for one day messed with the flakiness or not.  Maybe the flour I used wasn't the best choice either.  Do you have any suggestions?

The focaccia di recco I made from Peter Reinhart's recipe did turn out flaky, but it was the cheese that wasn't right.  Steve (Ev) also used Peter Reinhart's recipe.

To bad that Dave didn't come back to report on his results.  Maybe that would have helped us understand more.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
if you add a tablespoon or two of additional love oil to the dough, It will become much easier to stretch when making it
>:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:19:53 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"