Author Topic: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco  (Read 17226 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:15 PM »
I have been thinking about making this kind of focaccia for a couple of weeks to see how it would turn out. Just yesterday I saw the recipe posted on Pizza Quest for  Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco. http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/147-focaccia-col-formaggio-di-recco.html  I was going to wait to try this dough, but read how easy it was to make the dough, so I decided to try the dough this evening.  I will post pictures whether the  Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco comes out good or bad the first time I try it tonight.

This is how the dough looked after I hand mixed it, just a little while ago.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
Norma, I gave this a little try a while back:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11150.msg100553.html#msg100553

Bill,

I remember that video, but didn't really know what kind of focaccia that was back then. I watched you place those pieces of cheese on and wondered what kind of pie you were making. I will post the pictures soon, but this was the most different kind of thing I tasted.  The crust was so delicate and tasty.  The dough was so different than any I had tried before. The skin seemed to stretch and stretch and was so springy. I already ate 3 slices and am not in the least full.  

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
This was a very easy focaccia to make and so delightful to eat, in my opinion.  The crust just melts in your mouth.  My daughter and I ate the whole pie.  I did the slamming on the table with this dough.  In the pictures it can be seen how thin this dough is.  I had to add more water to the formula I used. I used KAAP in the formula.  As can be seen in the pictures I did cut the top skin with scissors (before the bake), but somehow when the pie was baking in the oven the one part want to spring more.  Finally I cut the sprung part again.  That is the part that go darker, but that part was still good to eat.  I don't know until I post the pictures (if the weight of this pie can be seen), but this whole pie only weighed 189 grams as shown on the scales.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
I made another attempt for this kind of pizza yesterday at market and mixed the dough at market.  Although the dough was easy to make and the dough was easy to stretch, I now think I know another reason why my previous attempts at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13125.0.html were giving me problems.

The crust top and bottom were doing so well in the oven, but then the new kind of cheese I had tried on the above mentioned thread broke down, and the bottom became oily, just like in my other above mentioned thread.  I now know I must either get the same kind of cheese I tried in this thread, or find another kind of cheese to try in this recipe.  I have a couple kinds of cheese in mind to give a try.  Does anyone have any other ideas for cheese that might not break down and make the bottom crust oily?  It can be seen in the one picture after the bake, how the cheese broke down.

Pictures of the pie and bake yesterday.  The top crust was nice and flaky, but the bottom crust from the cheese became somewhat oily again.  This kind of pizza is giving me problems, just like some of my other pizzas.  :-D Another near failed attempt.  This time the problems aren't the dough recipe, but the cheese used in the pie.  

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
Norma... I think I need to stop coming around here for awhile. Yours is the latest in a long line of drool-inducing creations from the gifted and accomplished cooks of this forum that is making me even fatter by simply looking at it.

Seriously, you great people are driving me insane.

I WANT to make this. :)

That's beautiful. Congratulations.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
Norma... I think I need to stop coming around here for awhile. Yours is the latest in a long line of drool-inducing creations from the gifted and accomplished cooks of this forum that is making me even fatter by simply looking at it.

Seriously, you great people are driving me insane.

I WANT to make this. :)

That's beautiful. Congratulations.

Ron,

Thanks for your kind words!  I also have problems with all the drool-inducing creations of other members, including all of your drool-inducing creations.  :chef:

The dough recipe is really easy to make and you only need AP flour, water, and salt.  The recipe can be ready to be used in a little over an hour.  I am still having problems with the kind of cheese to use. 

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
Marscapone isn't working?
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
Marscapone isn't working?

Ron,

The Marscapone  pictured at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg128478.html#msg128478 picture 3 did work, but the Marcapone  at post 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13125.msg128988.html#msg128988 second picture down doesnít work for me.  I donít know what is up with that.  ??? The second brand of Marcapone I purchased must have a different type of oiling off or breaking down at lower temperatures.

I am going to be trying some other kinds of cheese in this type of pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
I was at our local Country Store today, to pick up some flour and was trying to find another kind of cheese to try in this kind of pizza that doesnít oil off and break down.  I found a kind of cheese that is called Yogurt cheese.  It comes in four flavors.  The flavors are plain, hot, vegetable and garlic and herb.  I bought the Yogurt garlic and herb.  I have no idea if this cheese will do okay in this kind of pizza, but the taste is good and creamy and it doesnít seem oily.  I also picked up a pack of organic yeast to try in another kind of dough to see what happens with that kind of yeast.  Another new flour they are now carrying at our Country Store is Ultragrain White Whole Wheat Flour.  I might be trying this new flour either in this pizza or another kind of pizza. When I was looking at all the flours at the Country Store today, I saw two kinds of what I thought were AP flours that have  potassium bromate in the flours.  They werenít listed what brand of flours they were, but I didnít think AP flours are bromated. The flours werenít marked as high-gluten flours either. I didnít have my camera along today, but when I go back to the Country Store, I am going to take pictures of those flours.

I might give this new cheese a try in another attempt for this kind of pizza, either today or tomorrow.

Picture of new flour, yeast, and yogurt cheese with garlic and herbs.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
I am still playing around with the cheese to see if it affects the bottom and top crust.  I did use the  yogurt garlic and herb cheese tonight.  It can be seen on the pictures how much I rolled out the bottom dough before I started stretching it by hand.  This dough almost reminds me of a rubber band.  It keeps stretching and also almost feels like a rubber band, but moister. I turned the pie upside down on the one picture to see if it would fall from the pan, but it didnít.  I didnít keep it upside down that long though.

I wanted to purposely over bake this pie to see if the cheese broke down and oiled off.  It didnít, but the top crust was too brown.  It didnít taste burnt, but was light and crispy.

I also did another experiment on the last dough I had made at Reply 7 (picture 3,4,6) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13125.msg128988.html#msg128988       because I wanted to see if the dough was still good to be used.  I had placed the dough right into the refrigerator after I made that last pie.  I decided to try and make a round pie with one layer and dress it like a regular pizza. The dough had to be put on parchment paper, because it sure couldnít be put on a peel and slide onto the stone. It can be seen on the parchment paper how the dough wanted to even pull together the parchment paper, just like a rubber band. I dressed the pie with my regular tomato sauce, mild white cheddar and Parmesan cheese.  The pie was okay, but not like any other kind of pie I had eaten before.  I wanted to also see if any yeast would be in the dough after sitting for so long in the refrigerator.  I think there was.  The crust didnít have oven spring, but by looking at the bottom of the crust, it looked to me like there were little fermentation bubbles.

Other pictures of both pies made with these doughs.  Picture two is the old dough from last week.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
I went to our local Country Store early this afternoon to pick up and couple of things and to look at the flours I had seen before that said on the labels, that potassium bromate was added, which I posted about at Reply 11  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg129599.html#msg129599 I also wanted to talk to the man that orders different products for the Country Store, to see what brand of flours they were with potassium bromate added.  I found the man that orders and showed him about the flours I had questions about.  I asked him why potassium bromate would be added to AP flour.  He said most of them had potassium bromate added.  I told him I didnít know why they would add that to flours that arenít high-gluten flours.  He told me the brands of flours I had in question were GM flours.  I looked at the GM website, but couldnít find the kinds of AP flours that have potassium bromate added.

These are pictures of all the flours the Country Store has, the two flours I was questioning about, and one bag of high-gluten flour, which is Kyrol flour.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Norma,

Remember this post--Reply 360 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11044.msg102978.html#msg102978?

Peter

Peter,

I did remember part of your post.  That is why I was questioning whether the flours at the Country Store were bromated.  I forgot about the part of your post that ďTim the BakerĒ replied to you that there was bleached all purpose flour, being Full Strength. 

I know wonder whether either of these flours at the Country Store are really bromated or if somehow they mistakenly labeled them.  I am really wondering about the unbleached flour at the Country Store.  They do carry King Arthur AP flour, but that is labeled, as can be seen in the picture at Reply 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg129599.html#msg129599

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
Norma,

The Full Strength flour is a bread flour, not an all-purpose flour, with a protein content that is just a hair less than the King Arthur bread flour.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
Norma,

The Full Strength flour is a bread flour, not an all-purpose flour, with a protein content that is just a hair less than the King Arthur bread flour.

Peter

Peter,

I guess I was confused.  Now I wonder about some of the flours at the Country Store, if they are labeled right.  :-D

Norma

pizzapan